Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #4,666 of 7,191
Wanted to add my experiences with my Penrose X so far, and hopefully get some help -
Left earcup does not have the same seal as right, with or without mic plugged in.
Imaging is shifted to the left.
High noise floor with sidetone enabled, less bad with it turned off.
Occasional whoosh/wind sound in left side, with or without sidetone enabled.
Pops in audio stream from Xbox. I have a solid connection, I can move rooms/floors of my house and still maintain a connection, but these are heard from a couple feet away with line of sight to the dongle.
I filed a support case with Audeze this afternoon regarding the above defects.

Now for the help portion -
Even with absolute volume disabled on my Android device, that does not seem to make any difference once a 'call' has been established. Calls appear to bypass the setting and still link bluetooth volume to the headset volume control. As others have stated in this thread, the headset internal mix between bluetooth to 2.4ghz stream is somewhere around 80/20 so you can no longer hear your game when this mode is active.
If that only occurred during an actual call it wouldn't be such a problem since you probably want to focus on that instead of your game; however, other android voice chat applications cause the phone to switch to call mode and not being able to mix those levels is a big problem for me. Not a developer so this is a guess, but I think it has to do with apps using the MODE_IN_CALL instead of MODE_IN_COMMUNICATION API for Android. Either way, not being able to hear my game while on chat kills one of my primary uses for the headset.

Please let me know if I am doing something incorrect in settings and others are not having the bluetooth volume control issue during calls.
Thanks!

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #4,667 of 7,191
After reading all the negative comments on Penrose x here I just decided to get a pair of Mobius instead. I’d rather be connected via Aux to Xbox wireless controller and get a consistent audio with 3D features if I’m paying 400 over dollars to a headset. As I mentioned before if you’re not playing competitive games you can use a Bluetooth transmitter and use Mobius wirelessly as well. Just a reminder for those who want to replace their penroses with another headset.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #4,668 of 7,191
After reading all the negative comments on Penrose x here I just decided to get a pair of Mobius instead. I’d rather be connected via Aux to Xbox wireless controller and get a consistent audio with 3D features if I’m paying 400 over dollars to a headset. As I mentioned before if you’re not playing competitive games you can use a Bluetooth transmitter and use Mobius wirelessly as well. Just a reminder for those who want to replace their penroses with another headset.
I had Mobius that I used for xbox and the sound is too low using aux. It didnt sound as good as Penrose either.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #4,669 of 7,191
I had Mobius that I used for xbox and the sound is too low using aux. It didnt sound as good as Penrose either.
I haven’t had the same problem. The sound is low but only 0.5 dB low compared to USB output which is similar to a Penrose with wireless dongle so it shouldn’t be ‘too’ low. Again you can amplify Mobius at 2V RMS (6v peak to peak) be sure not to overamp them and you get even louder results. But this level of SPL which tops at 108dB I don’t see any reason to use an amplifier. I know for a fact PlayStation controllers have their own limitations that’s why audio outputs at lower volumes but new Xbox controller delivers the sound quite well for me.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #4,670 of 7,191

Yup. I'm skipping the Penrose solely because of the drop outs(even just one during a game or a movie is enough for me to throw in the towel), floor noise and potential crackling etc. Meh, wireless Headphone technology just isn't there yet. I'll stick with audiophile-ish level grade closed styled cans in the time being.

I also hear 3D audio on the PS5 is a bit of a mixed bag, some even argue that turning it off makes the audio sound better. I guess it all depends on how it's utilized and if the game was specifically designed with it in mind. But yeah, I was thinking about just plugging in my Beyer Dynamic 250ohm's headphones into a PS5 controller(whenever i get around to buying one) and sticking with that.... but there's a good chance the volume wont be loud enough, which is the same issue i'm currently having with the PS4...It's terrible. But when I use my cans with my receiver the audio sounds godly and can get very loud.

Anyways, I'm better off buying a Sony Receiver, and only using it for it's eArc port, which will connect to my LG C9's eArc Port. Then i basically just have my Switch and PS4 Pro's HDMI cables sent directly to my TV's hdmi ports. this will allow for Lossless LPCM Audio and will avoid any additional input lag/latency since my Switch and PS4 wont be running through the receiver and then out to my tv.

But it's strange, even with an Optical cable being directly sent from my PS4 too my current old receiver, without any video bypassing, i still can notice an ever so slight delay when people talk in movies etc. Plus, you can't plug headphones directly into a switch Pro controller.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #4,671 of 7,191
Yup. I'm skipping the Penrose solely because of the drop outs(even just one during a game or a movie is enough for me to throw in the towel), floor noise and potential crackling etc. Meh, wireless Headphone technology just isn't there yet. I'll stick with audiophile-ish level grade closed styled cans in the time being.

I also hear 3D audio on the PS5 is a bit of a mixed bag, some even argue that turning it off makes the audio sound better. I guess it all depends on how it's utilized and if the game was specifically designed with it in mind. But yeah, I was thinking about just plugging in my Beyer Dynamic 250ohm's headphones into a PS5 controller(whenever i get around to buying one) and sticking with that.... but there's a good chance the volume wont be loud enough, which is the same issue i'm currently having with the PS4...It's terrible. But when I use my cans with my receiver the audio sounds godly and can get very loud.

Anyways, I'm better off buying a Sony Receiver, and only using it for it's eArc port, which will connect to my LG C9's eArc Port. Then i basically just have my Switch and PS4 Pro's HDMI cables sent directly to my TV's hdmi ports. this will allow for Lossless LPCM Audio and will avoid any additional input lag/latency since my Switch and PS4 wont be running through the receiver and then out to my tv.

But it's strange, even with an Optical cable being directly sent from my PS4 too my current old receiver, without any video bypassing, i still can notice an ever so slight delay when people talk in movies etc. Plus, you can't plug headphones directly into a switch Pro controller.
If the analog source in this case dualsense/DualShock allows it there is no way an aux connection can’t deliver the same sound as a USB port. These controllers have 5ghz data bandwidth larger than 2.4ghz so delivering the audio to analog with the 1V of power that the headset needs shouldn’t be such a big issue. The problem maybe digital to analog then again to digital conversion? I’m not sure. If I were you I’d consider an AKG K712 pro with an amp if you wanna go all wired instead of beyer990s. If it wasn’t for Mobius having planar drivers I was gonna pick those.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #4,672 of 7,191
No, nothaning has been announced for Xbox.
There is a Windows EQ app and an update to the Mac app coming as well.
It's expected that we will be able to save presets to the phones to use with consoles in the future as I understood.

This does nothing for people using an iPhone though as they have said numerous times they will never have an iPhone app.

An Xbox app should be pretty simple to get working. As far as I know it’s pretty similar to windows 10 now.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #4,673 of 7,191
If they're not up to scratch right off the bat, send them back. Quality control is their responsibility, not yours.

Yea - they're going back. I gave them one last chance yesterday connected to my work PC - the noise floor is just way too high on this set, especially knowing that they don;t have to be this loud.

Additionally, I spent some time on a PS5 Warzone session last night in party chat. I'd set the Penrose EQ up roughly using Footsteps eq and some little tweaks based on how they sounded watching YT videos of the game (only subtle tweaks). Flip flopped between these and some Astro A50 (with 3 custom eqs) and much preferred the Astro for this game - the wider soundstage helped I think.

What last night made me realise is that Wireless Gaming headsets are also about convenience and well as sound. No doubt the Penrose, when set up right will have the best ultimate audio quality, but, as an Apple user, the convenience is not there yet. On the A50 last night, I could switch between 3 Eqs mid game at the touch of a button on the headset - on the Penrose I either have to wait in the hope the Mac HQ app appears or move to the PC and spend a few minutes adjusting or changing Eq in the hope these still sound ok when I get the dongle back into the PS5. Then there is the voice/game mix - I have the Astro set up via the optical out of my TV and the mix controls are still so much better than what the PS5 UI offers - plus its so much more convenient to just touch a control on the headset to adjust this - yes I know this means the Sony 3D audio is lost (but then that only sounds good on a very small number of games at this stage and I know that the voice/game mix is missing on all USB/Wireless PS5 headsets now but just another example of how convenience can enhance the experience.

The noise floor is reason enough for me to send this set back and this time, unless there are a number of developments over the coming weeks/months I can't see me returning to them sadly.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #4,674 of 7,191
Yea - they're going back. I gave them one last chance yesterday connected to my work PC - the noise floor is just way too high on this set, especially knowing that they don;t have to be this loud.

Additionally, I spent some time on a PS5 Warzone session last night in party chat. I'd set the Penrose EQ up roughly using Footsteps eq and some little tweaks based on how they sounded watching YT videos of the game (only subtle tweaks). Flip flopped between these and some Astro A50 (with 3 custom eqs) and much preferred the Astro for this game - the wider soundstage helped I think.

What last night made me realise is that Wireless Gaming headsets are also about convenience and well as sound. No doubt the Penrose, when set up right will have the best ultimate audio quality, but, as an Apple user, the convenience is not there yet. On the A50 last night, I could switch between 3 Eqs mid game at the touch of a button on the headset - on the Penrose I either have to wait in the hope the Mac HQ app appears or move to the PC and spend a few minutes adjusting or changing Eq in the hope these still sound ok when I get the dongle back into the PS5. Then there is the voice/game mix - I have the Astro set up via the optical out of my TV and the mix controls are still so much better than what the PS5 UI offers - plus its so much more convenient to just touch a control on the headset to adjust this - yes I know this means the Sony 3D audio is lost (but then that only sounds good on a very small number of games at this stage and I know that the voice/game mix is missing on all USB/Wireless PS5 headsets now but just another example of how convenience can enhance the experience.

The noise floor is reason enough for me to send this set back and this time, unless there are a number of developments over the coming weeks/months I can't see me returning to them sadly.
I find it a real shame how much we have to faff with them to adjust things. My chat mix doesn't seem to work at all on the xbox. I have to bluetooth to the phone app while playing to adjust it.

Then last night my mic volume suddenly set itself to zero, I hadn't touched any controls. We spent 10 minutes messing around restarting consoles before I tried the mic volume... Not realising it had lowered itself! I feel annoyed that a company with such a good track record for audio excellence can't even get the basics right.

As for 3D audio, I always use stereo. I find 3D processing often blends sound direction. Stereo is more defined for me. On that subject, I think the most impressive headphone I used for Modern Warfare last year was the AKG 702, didn't like it for music, but for shooters it was insanely good. Absolute pin point.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #4,675 of 7,191
I find it a real shame how much we have to faff with them to adjust things. My chat mix doesn't seem to work at all on the xbox. I have to bluetooth to the phone app while playing to adjust it.

Then last night my mic volume suddenly set itself to zero, I hadn't touched any controls. We spent 10 minutes messing around restarting consoles before I tried the mic volume... Not realising it had lowered itself! I feel annoyed that a company with such a good track record for audio excellence can't even get the basics right.

As for 3D audio, I always use stereo. I find 3D processing often blends sound direction. Stereo is more defined for me. On that subject, I think the most impressive headphone I used for Modern Warfare last year was the AKG 702, didn't like it for music, but for shooters it was insanely good. Absolute pin point.

I totally agree. Yet still with a little bit EQing I still prefer Mobius over any dynamic open back headset. If I upgrade to anything at this point that would be LCD GX

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #4,676 of 7,191

Yea - stereo all the way for me and agree about the K702 - with a lounge setup though I'd grown tired of all the cable clutter/Dac/Amp setup needed to drive headphones like that properly - was hoping not to have to sacrifice too much in order for more convenience. Would love someone to come up with a quality open backed, wireless solution with the necessary functionality available at release.

I totally agree. Yet still with a little bit EQing I still prefer Mobius over any dynamic open back headset. If I upgrade to anything at this point that would be LCD GX

I'd like to try an open backed planar - but in a lounge setup really want to cut down on the cables :wink: Despite how good the sound is on the Penrose or Mobius once the Eq is setup, I still prefer open backed headphones for gaming by a fair margin - especially in multiplayer games where voice chat is important. I'm really not a fan of the closed off/insular feel of closed back in this usage.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #4,677 of 7,191
WhiteHartMart said:
Despite how good the sound is on the Penrose or Mobius once the Eq is setup, I still prefer open backed headphones for gaming by a fair margin - especially in multiplayer games where voice chat is important. I'm really not a fan of the closed off/insular feel of closed back in this usage.

This. Penrose is the best sounding wireless gaming headset that I have heard. I just prefer open back headphones and HD800S all the way for me when gaming.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #4,678 of 7,191
This. Penrose is the best sounding gaming headset that I have heard. I just prefer open back headphones and HD800S all the way for me when gaming.
Yeah I totally get it. Especially for competitive games open back is the way to go. I just myself love how planars sound with that punchy but sweet bass how immersive the whole idea behind this headset, perfect fit for me. and except for overwatch I am more into single player RPGs so not really competitive here. That’s why I can’t really comprehend when people complain about not being able to adjust chat mix one way or another. If my priority was soundstage again I’d pick AKG 712 pro and drive it with a G6. Even though imaging on Mobius by far the best I stumbled upon. I also use my headset to listen to music so design and sound wise Mobius provides me that also.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #4,679 of 7,191
Yea - stereo all the way for me and agree about the K702 - with a lounge setup though I'd grown tired of all the cable clutter/Dac/Amp setup needed to drive headphones like that properly - was hoping not to have to sacrifice too much in order for more convenience. Would love someone to come up with a quality open backed, wireless solution with the necessary functionality available at release.

I'd like to try an open backed planar - but in a lounge setup really want to cut down on the cables :wink: Despite how good the sound is on the Penrose or Mobius once the Eq is setup, I still prefer open backed headphones for gaming by a fair margin - especially in multiplayer games where voice chat is important. I'm really not a fan of the closed off/insular feel of closed back in this usage.
I'm with you on the open backs. I've got such a good variety of open back headphones to use, combined with some really excellent amps/dacs, and a wireless modmic. PS4 and PC gaming were so fun with my setup.

That went completely out of the window when I suddenly discovered that Microsoft not only did away with optical out, they also prevent audio over usb (clearly a greedy money making tactic to sell licenses to manufacturers). I completely regret buying an Xbox Series X. Worst of all my friends followed suit and all switched to Xbox as well, so I can't even go PS5 now.

2020 why were you so cruel?!

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #4,680 of 7,191
I'm with you on the open backs. I've got such a good variety of open back headphones to use, combined with some really excellent amps/dacs, and a wireless modmic. PS4 and PC gaming were so fun with my setup.

That went completely out of the window when I suddenly discovered that Microsoft not only did away with optical out, they also prevent audio over usb (clearly a greedy money making tactic to sell licenses to manufacturers). I completely regret buying an Xbox Series X. Worst of all my friends followed suit and all switched to Xbox as well, so I can't even go PS5 now.

2020 why were you so cruel?!

I’m with you. I’m a total Xbox fanboy but if I had know I’d be so limited to which headsets I can use without the need of an amp/dac and tv connection considering how bad the latency is through bitstream with that type of connection unless you’re using uncompressed stereo or Dolby/DTS, I would definitely get a PS5. I can’t bash on Xbox today tho it apparently runs hitman 3 better than ps5 Twitter turned into a war zone again between Xbox and ps fans lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back