Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #4,291 of 7,191
Is there any website that still sells these or any place we can buy alternative earpads? I prefer suede over leather and the fact that these aren't compatible with other earpads on the market is a bit annoying.

All I see on their website is a grey leather option.
Dekoni Choice Suede, you will have to rip off the ear pads and stick on the Dekoni's to the plastic ring and then snap that on; probably the best bet as they have the correct cutout. they have been reference in this forum a few times, quick search will show the video and everything.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #4,292 of 7,191
Does anyone know how to get the Volume up/down/mute to be controlled by windows? Right now I have them connected to my windows 10 PC via the provided 2.4 dongle, but if I increase/decrease/mute the Penroses in windows, the volume does not change. It seems the volume can only be changed via the controls on the left ear cup.
I know there is a setting in Windows that I need to change, but I can't remember what it is.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #4,293 of 7,191
Does anyone know how to get the Volume up/down/mute to be controlled by windows? Right now I have them connected to my windows 10 PC via the provided 2.4 dongle, but if I increase/decrease/mute the Penroses in windows, the volume does not change. It seems the volume can only be changed via the controls on the left ear cup.
I know there is a setting in Windows that I need to change, but I can't remember what it is.
that is the way it is supposed to function currently. they are looking to add windows control for it in an update coming soon....

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #4,295 of 7,191
Just thought I'd pop back here and say how much I've been loving Penrose in the few weeks I've had them.

Easily the best sounding headset I've ever used. Clamp force still a little tight but nothing I can't handle over my sessions, and had absolutely no issues regarding connection quality etc.

Regarding the EQ profiles that Audeze provided, anyone got any particular preferences or recommendations there? I find the flat EQ to be pretty great but heard that the 'Warm' on Mobius was pretty good?
I like the RoundandMuscular EQ preset or Flat for most of my music. Warm just dipped the highs down a bit too much for my liking.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #4,296 of 7,191
So I mentioned I use my Penrose X primarily for Xbox with friend and Valorant on PC.

I had no issues on Valorant on PC. No cracking no pops. Amazing audio.

On Series which I sit about 7 feet from (4 inches from my PC) I got pretty bad crackling/popping on 2nd day on.

I bought a 32 foot usb 3.0 extension cable and ran it under carpet so it now sits next to me and my PC. It fixed my Xbox issues completely.

A bonus is I can now easily swap dongle from PC and Xbox without getting up from my gaming area.

Only complaint remaining with Penrose X is chat mix and mic gain need to be changed. Looking forward to continued improvements in software over time.

Good luck everyone.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #4,298 of 7,191
posted moments ago
Just got my Penrose X. (Got the X in case I get a series X down the track)
Wow. They are unreal. Massive sound stage. They blow any "gaming" headsets out of the water. I'm not having any of the issues other users stated yet. They've walked flawlessly on pc, switch and ps5. Stoked on them.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #4,299 of 7,191
For some stupid reason the dongle only registers as an audio device when the headphones are turned on, which makes my system freak out and make my audio start playing out of different devices when they get disconnected instead of just making the dongle an always on audio device even if the signal is getting sent nowhere to keep it stable system side
This is required feature for Xbox compatibility and was the reason why the Xbox units got shipped later. Initially we treated the Dongle like an external amp. It would always register as an audio device irrespective of the headphone being on/off. So when a user who uses the dongle with a console, turns off the headset, because they want to use their speakers, this feature is extremely useful.

So we also implemented this in the PS version.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #4,300 of 7,191
Hey,

Would you say these feel more comfortable than stock?
I had serious issues with clamping force that did ease up ever so slightly, just wish they wasn't as tight or the ear pads just had a little more depth.

Thank

Hmmm I didn't really spend long enough with the originals on. I think I'd say these are firmer and hold shape more, therefore retaining some depth. But I don't think they would help if you are finding clamping force an issue already.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #4,303 of 7,191
Hmmm, maybe you should direct them to their own website, and I did point out this issue on their site a few weeks ago

https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset

Multi-device Compatibility
Xbox • PlayStation • Nintendo • Windows • Macintosh • iOS • Android

Although, directly above that is:

Audeze HQ |Desktop and Mobile Apps

The Audeze HQ apps for Windows (available now), Android and Mac (coming soon) enable a variety of advanced functionality for the Penrose and Penrose X. Featuring a 10 band graphic EQ interface, sidetone toggling, and real-time voice-to-chat mix for Xbox Series X, Audeze HQ gives gamers unprecedented control over their audio experience.

That is not what it initially said, it has been updated to indicate the timeline. Initially there was no indication that Android and Mac OS would be delayed.

Correct. They did change what it said recently. If you use the Internet Wayback machine, you can see that they have changed it. For example, back in October it said:

Audeze HQ |Desktop and Mobile App

The Audeze HQ app for mobile and desktop systems enables a variety of advanced functionality for the Penrose and Penrose X. Featuring a 10 band graphic EQ interface, sidetone toggling, and real-time voice-to-chat mix for Xbox Series X, Audeze HQ gives gamers unprecedented control over their audio experience.

Then below it it says:

Multi-device Compatibility
Xbox • PlayStation • Nintendo • Windows • Macintosh • iOS • Android

So I would have expected an iOS app to control it with that wording. It does appear to be false advertising, even if unintentional.

Check out the other versions of the Penrose web page here: https://web.archive.org/web/2020*/h...ucts/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #4,304 of 7,191
Our original design had the chat mix as the primary and volume gain as click+ rotate. In our beta testing everyone complained and we swapped it. Now it seems everyone wants it the other way. Maybe we should do a poll before changing them back again.

Please setup this poll as soon as possible, for me it is unusable as it is now because it is almost impossible to change the mix without also messing with the mic gain. Yesterday I had to go back to my Turtle Beach in frustration.

@Audeze, could it not be possible to have a function switch in the app/software so the user could choose the primary function for the 2nd wheel.

Could you also explain how the chat mix works on the Penrose, does it only affect the chat volume or is it somthing else?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back