Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,496 of 7,191
Got my X today. Tried to put them on and the clamp force is insane (7 3/4 size head). I don’t think the ear pads are poor quality though the head band pad is poor. The clamp just compresses the ear pads a lot which makes them feel firm.

Even my wife who is much smaller than me tried them on and her first words unprompted were “these are super tight”.

Kind of disappointed but not surprised. have them on a pillow stretching, but if these don’t loosen up then everything else is irrelevant to me. Best sound in the world won’t mean a thing if I can’t wear them for more than 15 minutes without getting a headache and sore jaw.
Yes, my tmj's are sore today. I wore them for 4 hours yesterday. Sound was great, but comfort terrible. Not sure what the decision process was for the design, who thought these felt suer luxurious?

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,497 of 7,191
@Audeze I cancelled my preorder of the Penrose X this week primarily due to the issues with Wireless/Bluetooth mix balancing. My primary use case on xbox is to be able to use Discord on my mobile at the same time as playing.

Very happy to reorder at some point in the future if all the issues found so far can be solved with firmware changes, and very sad to be missing out on hearing how great they sound, but thought you should know another potential purchaser's specific reasons for not buying right now.

On a side note, it would also be very useful to be able to mute the mic on both sources independently via the app; while talking on Discord, you don't necessarily want your voice heard on game chat. I'm sure I'm also not the only one who would like to be able to mute their mic in game chat while taking a phone call...

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,498 of 7,191
I'll probably be returning mine. Too many weird issues (features? :spy:), plus they get uncomfortable after a while for me also. And that's with a fairly small size head.
Best sound by far for music, but then again I normally never sit and listen to music on my PC and I have other headphones for traveling/hotel nights.

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #3,499 of 7,191
I've started noticing a small crackle or popping noise while playing games on Ps5. It's definitely not the game audio. It's pretty quick sound but it's definitely there every now and then. My steelseries comes in this week and I'll be giving them the test. The comfort on the Penrose is horrible. As long as the steel series comes close in sound the Penrose will be going back. I'll be giving up some features sure but at the moment they are half baked so not really sure it's actually giving them up. Maybe a revision 2 in the future may bring me back, but for 300$ other then sound, I'm not impressed.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #3,500 of 7,191
I've started noticing a small crackle or popping noise while playing games on Ps5. It's definitely not the game audio. It's pretty quick sound but it's definitely there every now and then. My steelseries comes in this week and I'll be giving them the test. The comfort on the Penrose is horrible. As long as the steel series comes close in sound the Penrose will be going back. I'll be giving up some features sure but at the moment they are half baked so not really sure it's actually giving them up. Maybe a revision 2 in the future may bring me back, but for 300$ other then sound, I'm not impressed.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts. My 7p are supposed to be in Monday. I feel exactly the same and can't believe someone designed these and were like, these are super comfortable with all day comfort.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,501 of 7,191
I must have got a complete dud of a Penrose X or I missed something. I've tried every USB port on my PC (front, mobo, hub, USB 2.0, USB 3.0) and nothing shows up. No driver installs, no hidden devices in sound settings, just absolutely nothing. I tried it on my work laptop as well and same outcome. I even downloaded the Audeze HQ app on my Gaming PC and it didn't change anything. The light on the dongle does come on and yes, it is on the PC switch.

Oddly the Penrose device itself whispers "connected" in my ear when its in wireless mode, but I have no idea what its connected to.

@Audeze Any idea what is wrong here or suggestions to try?

Edit: I've read the manual and it says my dongle should be blinking. Mine does not, the light is static. Even resetting it at the end with a paperclip does nothing.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #3,502 of 7,191
It's not very loud for me either, but it's definitely audible over the ambient noises and music in games. Initially, I thought that it's some in game sound in Cyberpunk 2077, before I heard the same noise when my PC was off. Wireless interference is a good theory, though it never happened to my other wireless headphones. Maybe Penrose is more sensitive to this or it's indeed some internal feedback. I'll check tomorrow if that happens in my basement without all the wireless tech I have in my apartment.

I have noticed this intermittent noise sound too. I put a ticket into Audeze to make sure it's in their system. It is only in the left ear. I normally don't notice it, but occasionally it will pop up in quiet spots. It does remind me of interference. I tried putting my hand around the left ear to see if interposing my hand changed it but did not notice a difference. Hopefully it something that can be tweaked via firmware.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3,503 of 7,191
Is anyone else hearing popping when using the Penrose X with Series X? I think it's the Xbox, because I also have Astro A50 Gen 4's, and I used to never hear popping ever, but day I got my Series X, it became a constant issue. Not sure what to do about it since it's happening now with the Penrose X. I just got them today as well.

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #3,505 of 7,191
I have a preorder of Penrose X since the 23d of July, but one thing mainly making me thinking of canceling. It is the separate wheel gor mic volume, I dont see the need to change it all the time and I know I will change it by misstake and will have to try to find the correct level again. What I do change often is the level of the ones I am chatting with compared to the game audio. (I am on Xbox)

Could it done to be able to switch the mic volume and game mix. So that chat mix is changed with that wheel and you need to press it and scroll for changing the mic. It would be nice to be able in the app/software have the option to toggle this.

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,506 of 7,191
Is anyone else hearing popping when using the Penrose X with Series X? I think it's the Xbox, because I also have Astro A50 Gen 4's, and I used to never hear popping ever, but day I got my Series X, it became a constant issue. Not sure what to do about it since it's happening now with the Penrose X. I just got them today as well.

Xbox Series X user here. After a full charge.

I haven't had any issue with a popping sound while listening to Spotify or some of the test demos in the Dolby Atmos app.

However, I'm getting a ton of popping when using the mic and testing it through chat. I have no such issue when the dongle is plugged into my laptop and tested there. Ives tried all 3 USB ports, a powered USB hub and a USB extension cable with the same issue being consistent.

Was previously using a Rig 800 with zero issues on a One X and Series X.

Probably going to have to reach out to Audeze.

Edit: After a complete restart of the Xbox Series X the mic seems to be working correctly now. No more popping when testing. Hopefully the restart cleared up the issue.

To add to this so far the front USB port on the Xbox seems to have the best connectivity out of everything I've tried. Range isn't very good but seems to be stable in front of the Xbox with a direct line of sight. This is all with limited testing so far. Going to put some hours in tonight and see how it goes.

Edit #2: So I can recreate the popping coming through the mic with the Xbox Series X on Instant On mode. Simply turning the Xbox off and back on the popping sounds comes back using the mic. If I do a restart or cold boot of the console the issues goes away and the mic works fine until I turn the Xbox off(Instant On/Standby mode) and turn it back on.

Will have to reach out to Audeze to see what they have to say.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #3,507 of 7,191
Got my X today. Tried to put them on and the clamp force is insane (7 3/4 size head). I don’t think the ear pads are poor quality though the head band pad is poor. The clamp just compresses the ear pads a lot which makes them feel firm.

Even my wife who is much smaller than me tried them on and her first words unprompted were “these are super tight”.

I get tired after a couple of hours with most of the headphones I've had, but haven't had that issue with the Penrose. I'm having a really difficult time believing people are having such wildly different experiences with the same headphone model, so I'm placing my bets on unusually large manufacturing variances.

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #3,508 of 7,191
Has anyone else received a tracking# with a confirmed delivery day since 17-18th? Then changed to rescheduled delivery “check back tomorrow.”? This happened to me today. I had a delivery date set for Monday 21st by 9pm. I then looked at shipping details say shipped. seems like it’s still stuck in China HK in transit🥺 please get here to me before Christmas.. 😝 any updates anyone? Lol

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,510 of 7,191
Xbox Series X user here. After a full charge.

I haven't had any issue with a popping sound while listening to Spotify or some of the test demos in the Dolby Atmos app.

However, I'm getting a ton of popping when using the mic and testing it through chat. I have no such issue when the dongle is plugged into my laptop and tested there. Ives tried all 3 USB ports, a powered USB hub and a USB extension cable with the same issue being consistent.

Was previously using a Rig 800 with zero issues on a One X and Series X.

Probably going to have to reach out to Audeze.

Edit: After a complete restart of the Xbox Series X the mic seems to be working correctly now. No more popping when testing. Hopefully the restart cleared up the issue.

To add to this so far the front USB port on the Xbox seems to have the best connectivity out of everything I've tried. Range isn't very good but seems to be stable in front of the Xbox with a direct line of sight. This is all with limited testing so far. Going to put some hours in tonight and see how it goes.
Yeah, I haven't used the mic at all, and I have the dongle connected to front of the Series X as well. I tried connecting it to the back and also my usb hub, but the female voice would keep saying "connecting" nonstop. I think it's the Xbox causing the popping but Idk. I'll try restarting the Xbox and see if that helps stop any popping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back