Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,406 of 7,191
You did what I should have done and read here before ordering/shipping :wink:

Spent some time playing Fortnite last night, quite nice although my ears started to protest after a couple of hours..

Back to this then:

Any idea on when these fixes will be available/implemented?
Honestly I've never seen an equalizer that drastically lowers the overall volume when adjusting a single slider upwards. How can they even release a product with such obvious bugs? Is the reasoning that it's a weird bug but one can still make adjustments and correct for volume changes using the volume wheel on the left ear cup, so better to have these shipped out so people can start beta testing? Also, I've tested perhaps 6-7 different headsets over the past few months, trying to find the ultimate product. None of them failed to respond to the general Windows volume adjustment.

The good news, I suppose, is that all of this can and hopefully will be addressed with future firmware upgrades. I'm just curious what kind of time perspective we are looking at here? I'm not interested in using the dual audio wireless/BT, so any of the issues related to this feature are irrelevant. Sole reason I bought these is to get rid of the cable that's required with the Mobius, and PC Gaming.

How does one achieve the best performance in terms of localization of sounds, i.e. where footsteps and such come from? Use the Windows surround settings or disable it and use the headset in Stereo and leave it to the game?

Regarding the equalizer behavior and volume control via Windows, these are NOT bugs with the product. The former is a design choice by Audeze. They explained why this design choice was made. I don't remember their reason offhand, but I am sure you can dig it up via the search function. That said, they did mention they plan on looking into it and seeing how they can address it. As for the volume control, that also isn't a bug but rather a limitation of their current wireless SDK. They have already requested the feature from the devs for their wireless SDK and no timeline has been provided yet.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #3,407 of 7,191
Regarding the equalizer behavior and volume control via Windows, these are NOT bugs with the product. The former is a design choice by Audeze. They explained why this design choice was made. I don't remember their reason offhand, but I am sure you can dig it up via the search function. That said, they did mention they plan on looking into it and seeing how they can address it. As for the volume control, that also isn't a bug but rather a limitation of their current wireless SDK. They have already requested the feature from the devs for their wireless SDK and no timeline has been provided yet.
I believe the equalizer issues had to do with a rather aggressive automatic gain adjustment to prevent volume clipping. Even still, the adjustment seems much more aggressive than similar equalizer software, which is why they're looking into addressing that; some people claim they cannot increase their master volume to a satisfactory level after changing one portion of equalization, though I haven't experienced that issue. I do notice lower volume, but there seems to be enough headroom in the integrated amp to allow for good listening volumes, though I haven't tested this extensively.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,408 of 7,191
Just picked these up as a potential replacement of my Mobius headphones - mostly looking for the wireless feature.
Playing around a bit but so far I'm mostly confused. Uninstalled Audeze HQ since it only showed the Mobius, downloaded latest version and installed. Now it shows Penrose menus and I also discovered the Mobius stuff through the Profile tab. So far so good.
Now to the confusing stuff:

1) The headphones do not respond to changing volume in Windows at all, they only respond to lowering volume in e.g. Youtube or the volume wheel on the left earcup. Basically if I mute the sound in Windows, I still have the same volume in the headphones. In the Sound settings, "Speakers (Audeze Penrose)" is selected.
2) The headphones do not respond to any changes in the Penrose mix amp unless connected through USB, but I suppose that may be how it's meant to be. That said, with the USB connected and when I move any of the equializer sliders up, the overall volume decreases??? What's that about? Lowering the sliders seems to actually lower the actual frequency.

225 sides of forum is a bit too much, so I apologize if all of this has already been discussed.
For info the first thing I did was upgrade the firmware to the latest version, 0.1.5.

Also, should one utilize the "Spatial sound" setting in Windows? If yes, any recommended settings for gaming use mostly? Or stay clear of it altogether?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

spatial audio best experience depends on the application...if i play battlefield 5 i turn off everything and use the game 3d audio option.

if ur watching youtube or a movie than use atmos( i use THX spatial app) for headphones. do not use both atmos and game 3d option at the same time.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,409 of 7,191
1) The headphones do not respond to changing volume in Windows at all, they only respond to lowering volume in e.g. Youtube or the volume wheel on the left earcup. Basically if I mute the sound in Windows, I still have the same volume in the headphones. In the Sound settings, "Speakers (Audeze Penrose)" is selected.
2) The headphones do not respond to any changes in the Penrose mix amp unless connected through USB, but I suppose that may be how it's meant to be. That said, with the USB connected and when I move any of the equializer sliders up, the overall volume decreases??? What's that about? Lowering the sliders seems to actually lower the actual frequency.

1) The changing volume settings in windows - This is a setting that we disabled in the USB interface (Dongle) to increase compatibility with other devices/consoles. We are evaluating/testing if we should enable this. At the moment you can change the volume on the application and also on the headset (volume wheel).
2) At the moment it is over USB. The android app will be released in a day or two and you will also be able to control it over bluetooth on Android. Wireless control (2.4 Ghz) will also be available in future.
EQ- The Penrose has multiple audio input options and mixer. Whe adjusting EQ settings, we do not want to cause clipping. So the automatic gain control kicks in to ensure there will not be clipping. The easiest way is to adjust the EQ and then set the overall volume.
With the latest windows app, you can save and load presets as well.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,412 of 7,191
I never knew about these apps on the Xbox. Not to detail this thread, but will these (or at least one of them) be worth it for when my Penrose X finally get here? I watch a lot of movies at my desk since my Omega chair is super comfy to sit back and chill in. If I have this app it'll work for games and movies through Xbox and work nicely with the Penrose?
It should. As others have suggested you can download the trial for each on Xbox or Windows and compare. Each app has their own sound demos that you can also test out.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #3,414 of 7,191
So I've been using these headphones for a solid week now as my work conference call headphones, gaming headphones, and music headphones. I put away what I've been reading and also my prior experience last week and just flat out "used" the headphones.

I constantly get crackling every 15 mins or so while listening to music. If I plug in the mic, sitting in the same location I start getting 'Connected' in my ears about every 45 minutes or so. Again, less than 3 feet from the dongle plugged into the front of my PC (I tried a USB extender as well, no luck), see attached photo of desk setup. Still constant crackles, cutouts, 'connected' notes. I'm really glad these are working out for people but I'm getting close to my whits end because these sound SO incredible but they just flat out keep failing. I gave them to the GF for a night to listen to her music with, and she gave them back a few minutes later and said she can't stand them because she moves her head and it cuts out.

Going to keep giving it a few more days but at this point there isn't much else I think I can try to keep the signal clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_110213.jpg
    IMG_20200229_110213.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #3,415 of 7,191
So I've been using these headphones for a solid week now as my work conference call headphones, gaming headphones, and music headphones. I put away what I've been reading and also my prior experience last week and just flat out "used" the headphones.

I constantly get crackling every 15 mins or so while listening to music. If I plug in the mic, sitting in the same location I start getting 'Connected' in my ears about every 45 minutes or so. Again, less than 3 feet from the dongle plugged into the front of my PC (I tried a USB extender as well, no luck), see attached photo of desk setup. Still constant crackles, cutouts, 'connected' notes. I'm really glad these are working out for people but I'm getting close to my whits end because these sound SO incredible but they just flat out keep failing. I gave them to the GF for a night to listen to her music with, and she gave them back a few minutes later and said she can't stand them because she moves her head and it cuts out.

Going to keep giving it a few more days but at this point there isn't much else I think I can try to keep the signal clear.
Off topic, but looking at that pic on your wall...do you do track days? Also, that's a very nice and clean desk setup!

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #3,416 of 7,191
Off topic, but looking at that pic on your wall...do you do track days? Also, that's a very nice and clean desk setup!

I do, great catch! Going on 14 years with my local NASA region, plus I'm on staff for a US based Time Attack series running registration and timing and scoring (been doing that for about 6 years now). And thanks! Try to keep the desk as simplistic as possible since I've worked from home well before COVID hit.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #3,417 of 7,191

does it happen with another computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back