Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 10, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #3,091 of 7,191
Does it sound like a high pitched, vintage recording of wind? Like this, but a single source that's less chaotic

This is the "wind sound" that was worked on in the firmware update, but I still have it. It's in the left can only.

It sounds markedly different than the wind/whoosh sound that I heard before the firmware update. That was in both cans and happened specifically when playing low level audio. The sound I am now experiencing is more like a hiss that is there with or without sound playing.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #3,092 of 7,191
It sounds markedly different than the wind/whoosh sound that I heard before the firmware update. That was in both cans and happened specifically when playing low level audio. The sound I am now experiencing is more like a hiss that is there with or without sound playing.
Happens to me too. The update got rid of the woosh, but I still have that occasional incredibly high-pitched hissing/scratching sound. Happens every once in a while. Not really noticeable when music or video is playing.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #3,095 of 7,191
Does it sound like a high pitched, vintage recording of wind? Like this, but a single source that's less chaotic

This is the "wind sound" that was worked on in the firmware update, but I still have it. It's in the left can only.

Yep, same for me. Sounds similar to that recording and only in the left earcup. Although the update fixed the other noises, this still seems to happen every couple of minutes and is definitely noticeable at low volume :/
@Audeze can this also be fixed with a future firmware update?

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #3,096 of 7,191
Yep, same for me. Sounds similar to that recording and only in the left earcup. Although the update fixed the other noises, this still seems to happen every couple of minutes and is definitely noticeable at low volume :/
@Audeze can this also be fixed with a future firmware update?

I think I noticed this today a couple of times when listening to music from my iPhone using BT. During quiet parts of songs I heard something like a high pitch warbling noise, very faint. Reminded me interference noise when tuning an analog radio.

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #3,098 of 7,191
Hi @Oscar-HiFi , reading between the lines does this mean that the Penrose X isn't part of this shipment at all, and you have no ETA on them? Or is it just your spare store stock you have no ETA on?

Sorry if it wasn't clear, the Penrose X is not part of this shipment, as most know the Penrose X was delayed more than the Penrose and we don't know when they will be shipping yet.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #3,100 of 7,191
@Audeze I've installed the latest firmware. Wooshing sound is gone. But there is still audible noise when sidetone is enabled, which disappears when flipping the mic mute switch. Was this intended to be resolved in the update? If not, is it an issue that can or will be fixed?

My 7P has this same issue. I don't use side tone though so I don't hear it

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3,102 of 7,191
Even after the recent firmware update, these still have enough issues that you are fine to return for full refund under ACL.

Eh, i only tested them with bluetooth and my phone (plus the old firmware) and they do sound very nice, so i'd prefer to make them work if possible.. just need to figure out how feasible it is to make them work, comfort wise.

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #3,103 of 7,191
EDIT: Found and fixed the issue. If anyone else has similar problems, for me it was my firewall. I found it was blocking Audeze so I guess the app couldn't find the 0.1.5 FW update over the air.

Put Audeze on the firewall safe list and plugged in the Penrose, within seconds the option to Update to FW 0.1.5 popped up in the FIRMWARE tab.

now to test them out! :)

----

Hi guys

I'm having the problem where the option to update firmware is not showing up. I've downloaded and installed the 2.0.64 software (didn't have any previous version installed before) and restarted PC etc, plugged in Penrose and turned it on. The app shows FW version 0.1.3 but that's it, no button or option to update.

@Dksk8 Think you had similar issue? What did you do to fix it?

I've tried following step by step what @Fraggleboots mentioned a few pages back (post #3075) but it still just says FW 0.1.3.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but to no avail. Did I have to do anything else to make it see the firmware or give me option to update?

Incidentally when I downloaded the zip file from the Audeze link it had a firmware file in the zip with the installer, but it was for Mobius v5. Didn't see any similar file for Penrose. I downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ZVwUeJOBr42eKY0HBQYuBzsMTRmWtII/view

Any tips?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #3,105 of 7,191
Dear @Audeze, I have an issue with the connection through wifi and bluetooth simultaneously. When I connect to them, the music of the wifi-connection drops to almost zero and there is no way to upper it without making the bluetooth sound way to loud, while still only hearing the wireless connection super soft at max level. Will it be possible to independently change volumes through the android application or by a firmware update?

Would love to hear from you as it was my primary reason to buy these headphones (ps5 + discord), so if this won't be fixed/better I will unfortunately have to return them asap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back