Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #3,061 of 7,191
The primary issues with 2.4Ghz gaming headsets audio quality to me is: poor imaging, tiny soundstage, and bloated bass. I do however acknowledge that my ear is heavily biased after years of open-back competitive FPS gaming. My number 1 played game in the past few years is also Escape from Tarkov (pretty bad sound design tbh) which relies so heavily on intel from sound that I'm probably hyper-critical about it.

I use a PCIE wifi card with BT 5.0 on my PC to connect to the BTR3k (I think the BTR5 has come out now and is probably a better buy btw). Specifically, I have the Asus PCE-AC58BT. If I didn't have that card already, I would probably buy the Creative BT-W2 and stick it in a front USB port.

Fair warning: Aptx-LL does have a very slight delay (30-40ms IIRC) but I find you can adatpt to it for FPS gaming pretty easily. The bigger issue for me is the hassle of managing charging/connections for multiple devices (BTR3k and Mod Mic Wireless) and the fact that I don't have the balls to sit in front of my coworkers on conference calls with giant headphones on, a dongle strapped to the side of it, and a lit-up boom microphone that looks like a kids toy. I suppose I could get a different headset for work if the Penrose doesn't work out, but I really really don't want more headphones.
Thanks, I'm aware of the minimal latency of aptX LL but it's negligible in my use case (whereas I can definitely notice the lag of regular BT codecs). I've used it on Switch (even for rhythm games like Cadence of Hyrule) and VR on my Oculus Quest quite a lot and have not had any latency issues on my end. For context, using any other BT codec in VR makes me physically nauseous. I think 30-40ms is acceptable to me.

I agree with you on convenience though. I used to use a different aptX LL transmitter that connected via 3.5mm and I'd have to always make sure it was properly charged, etc, and its integrated Amp/DAC was pretty subpar. I don't think that's a factor with USB powered transmitters, but I don't always find they connect as seamlessly as proper 2.4ghz headsets. It's not too much work but still annoying when they don't connect properly. My Momentum 3.0 have aptX LL capability which is nice, but I don't really like it for gaming purposes after A/Bing with the Penrose and Arctis. They're nice for when I'm commuting or at work but are noticeably bass-heavy. I guess I could just EQ them if necessary.

I wonder if I should just use my HD650's connected to a BTR3k or BTR5 instead...

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #3,062 of 7,191
Headphones sound much better after the update. Is there a running list of presets for Music, cinematic gaming single player, and games like COD where listening to footsteps is critical?
Would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
Seconded. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to hearing them. So far I have boosted my bass a little bit that has been it. It's hard though, until the app comes out I have to try and remember what everything sounded like, go adjust on my pc and then goi back to my console to compare.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #3,063 of 7,191
We should have enough coming to fulfil all pre-orders of the X, as with the normal Penrose we ordered more so we had some for stock too.

But with the Penrose X, we don't have an ETA from Audeze yet sadly, so I can't say when we will be getting them.

Hi @Oscar-HiFi , reading between the lines does this mean that the Penrose X isn't part of this shipment at all, and you have no ETA on them? Or is it just your spare store stock you have no ETA on?

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #3,064 of 7,191
I feel like the clamp force + the top of the headband is giving me a headache after wearing it for like 3 hours. The comfort on the Penrose is just not there for me. I can put on the Arctis 7 and forget that they're even there after like 5-6 hours. They're extremely light weight and the third party velor ear pads I have on them, make them extremely comfortable.

Really debating on if I should return this or not. Another thing that's still annoying me is the lack of chatmix on PC. It's so convenient on the Arctis 7 to just launch a game while in Discord and just adjust the chatmix to find the right volume balance between the two directly from the headset.

With the Penrose, I have to alt tab or go into the settings for each game until the volume is just right.

Will play around with it a bit more but these past few days of having it, I found myself just putting on the Arctis on my head for the convenience and ease. The sound on the Penrose is exceptional but I don't know if it outweighs the cons for me personally.

I feel like I could look past the lack of chatmix if the comfort was up there but it's just not at the moment. I like to forget that I'm wearing a pair of headphones and with the Penrose, I find myself not being able to do that.

I feel like a Penrose 2.0 with chatmix on PC + good comfort would easily make these the best gaming headsets. The lack of comfort is a bit of a deal breaker right now. Not being able to wear these for long sessions, especially during these times where we're staying home for most of the day, is a bummer.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,065 of 7,191
I feel like the clamp force + the top of the headband is giving me a headache after wearing it for like 3 hours. The comfort on this is just not there for me. I can put on the Arctis 7 and forget that they're there. They're extremely light weight and the ear pads are better.

Really debating on if I should return this or not. Another thing that's still annoying me is the lack of chatmix on PC. It's so convenient on the Arctis 7 to just launch a game while in Discord and just adjust the chatmix to find the right volume balance between the two directly from the headset.

With the Penrose, I have to alt tab or go into the settings for each game until the volume is just right.

Will play around with it a bit more but these past few days of having it, I found myself just putting on the Arctis on my head for the convenience and ease. The sound on the Penrose is exceptional but I don't know if it outweighs the cons for me personally.

I feel like I could look past the lack of chatmix if the comfort was up there but it's just not at the moment.

This is where I’m at as well, including finding myself just putting on another headphone I already have. In my case it’s comparing against an XM4. Giving up the wireless is a shame but the XM4 sits on my head like a cloud and I’ve worn it all day long without discomfort. The Penrose caused a headache after about 30 minutes for me, and I couldn’t go more than two hours at a stretch. I’m going to give the Penrose one final try tonight but it’s looking like a return, sadly.

Now I’m wondering if I should get my hands on a Momentum... but they’re sold out in my area and I’ve already ordered, tried, and returned a truly gross number of headphones in the last three weeks while trying to decide if I like the Penrose or not. My partner’s going to kill me if another headphone shows up.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,068 of 7,191
This is where I’m at as well, including finding myself just putting on another headphone I already have. In my case it’s comparing against an XM4. Giving up the wireless is a shame but the XM4 sits on my head like a cloud and I’ve worn it all day long without discomfort. The Penrose caused a headache after about 30 minutes for me, and I couldn’t go more than two hours at a stretch. I’m going to give the Penrose one final try tonight but it’s looking like a return, sadly.

Now I’m wondering if I should get my hands on a Momentum... but they’re sold out in my area and I’ve already ordered, tried, and returned a truly gross number of headphones in the last three weeks while trying to decide if I like the Penrose or not. My partner’s going to kill me if another headphone shows up.

Same for me. After the firmware update the mic is great and the audio quality is where I expect it, but the comfort right now isn't there. I'm fine with the clamp, but the top part of my head is actually starting to hurt after a few hours which is pretty unfortunate for long gaming sessions and all day work from home.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #3,069 of 7,191
I feel like the clamp force + the top of the headband is giving me a headache after wearing it for like 3 hours. The comfort on the Penrose is just not there for me. I can put on the Arctis 7 and forget that they're even there after like 5-6 hours. They're extremely light weight and the third party velor ear pads I have on them, make them extremely comfortable.

I feel like I could look past the lack of chatmix if the comfort was up there but it's just not at the moment. I like to forget that I'm wearing a pair of headphones and with the Penrose, I find myself not being able to do that.

I feel like a Penrose 2.0 with chatmix on PC + good comfort would easily make these the best gaming headsets. The lack of comfort is a bit of a deal breaker right now. Not being able to wear these for long sessions, especially during these times where we're staying home for most of the day, is a bummer.
What velour pads do you use for the Arctis?

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #3,070 of 7,191
Mine still haven't budged since being marked shipped by Audeze on 11/28 (almost two full weeks now) — still stuck on "Shipment info sent to Fedex" as if it hasn't even been picked up.

Not sure if Audeze or Fedex is to blame but there's no reason it should take two weeks just to start moving, even with the current overload of packages out there.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,072 of 7,191
Mine still haven't budged since being marked shipped by Audeze on 10/28 (almost two full weeks now) — still stuck on "Shipment info sent to Fedex" as if it hasn't even been picked up.

Not sure if Audeze or Fedex is to blame but there's no reason it should take two weeks just to start moving, even with the current overload of packages out there.
Can you message me your order number ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3,073 of 7,191
Same for me. After the firmware update the mic is great and the audio quality is where I expect it, but the comfort right now isn't there. I'm fine with the clamp, but the top part of my head is actually starting to hurt after a few hours which is pretty unfortunate for long gaming sessions and all day work from home.

So far I haven't had this problem but I'm head shape often leads to a hotspot at the top. Someone had pointers to third party padding many pages ago that looked like it might suffice.

I'm curious if Audeze folks tracking this thread of recommendations or suggestions for this problem, its likely I may run into too (I'll find out at the end of the day today, as I'm using these for work calls and music...

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #3,075 of 7,191
Can someone tell me how to update this? I extracted the file but there's still no firmware showing in the app. What am I doing wrong? Im on Windows

My process, on an old windows laptop:
- install HQ software and run it when it asked after installing
- go to profiles and select Penrose
- no dongle, headphones off, plug them into Computer USB
- power on headphones
- go to update page and a button appeared to update them

I asked Audeze to put more explicit instructions in their help page on this as I don't know if all the steps above are strictly necessary but it seemed the safest way to do it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back