Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #3,032 of 7,191
@Oscar-HiFi Hi - sorry to bother you again - has there been any movement on the UPS tracking or does that update on the 7th December mean they don't know where the shipment is? Usually the painful bit is international orders reaching these shores - never know something take so long once they've arrived here so wondering if UPS have really fouled up? Just thought I'd ask to get an expectation of when these might arrive to you - tempted to just get some Sundaras or HE400i to use for some gaming and music use instead and sacrifice the wireless side of things (I've other headsets for when chat is needed). Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #3,034 of 7,191
@Oscar-HiFi Hi - sorry to bother you again - has there been any movement on the UPS tracking or does that update on the 7th December mean they don't know where the shipment is? Usually the painful bit is international orders reaching these shores - never know something take so long once they've arrived here so wondering if UPS have really fouled up? Just thought I'd ask to get an expectation of when these might arrive to you - tempted to just get some Sundaras or HE400i to use for some gaming and music use instead and sacrifice the wireless side of things (I've other headsets for when chat is needed). Thanks in advance.

It's been on the news about backup at our ports for a few weeks due to people stockpiling incase of no deal brexit. I'm not sure if these are coming by air though.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #3,037 of 7,191
I've read the majority of this thread, and I'm not sure if I should cancel my Penrose preorder (from a local distributor) and get the Arctis Pro Wireless instead. I've been looking at the Penrose and APW because I needed a wireless headset, and those are very highly regarded. Ended up preordering the Penrose after lurking in the aforementioned subreddit, where the mod kept saying everything is garbage except for the Penrose.

Does anyone have both headsets and can provide some insight? I saw some comments comparing the Penrose to the Arctis 7 Wireless, but from what I understand the APW has better sound quality than A7W, so I'm interested that comparison instead. Is the sound quality difference that perceptible?

I think I value comfort pretty highly - I keep returning to my AKG K7XX just because they're so comfy (even when ignoring that they're open-back, just focusing on headband and earcup). I can practically wear them all day.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #3,039 of 7,191
I think I value comfort pretty highly - I keep returning to my AKG K7XX just because they're so comfy (even when ignoring that they're open-back, just focusing on headband and earcup). I can practically wear them all day.

This is where you’re likely to have the most problems. I don’t have your AKG but per Drop’s listing it’s ~100 grams lighter with a shaped headband that I’m guessing uniformly presses your head, or at least distributes the weight a little.

In my use the Penrose doesn’t do that — the pressure is focused on clamp and then, once clamp decreases, on a single scalp hotspot caused by the flat headband pad. I find it uncomfortable quickly, and don’t expect to be able to wear the headset for longer than two or three hours at a stretch. It’s my largest concern with the headset as I’m deciding whether to keep it, especially now that I’ve grabbed the new firmware.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #3,040 of 7,191
This is where you’re likely to have the most problems. I don’t have your AKG but per Drop’s listing it’s ~100 grams lighter with a shaped headband that I’m guessing uniformly presses your head, or at least distributes the weight a little.

In my use the Penrose doesn’t do that — the pressure is focused on clamp and then, once clamp decreases, on a single scalp hotspot caused by the flat headband pad. I find it uncomfortable quickly, and don’t expect to be able to wear the headset for longer than two or three hours at a stretch. It’s my largest concern with the headset as I’m deciding whether to keep it, especially now that I’ve grabbed the new firmware.

I remember having the same 'hotspot' withe the Mobius I had. In the end I think I used a couple of Dekoni Nuggets (one each side of the pad) to spread the pressure a little which certainly helped.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #3,041 of 7,191
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the way Hifiheadphones have handled things- they have been excellent in keeping their customers updated. Hopefully a delivery next week then.

how many times have we said that. Ha!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well the eagle has finally landed.

But again due to operational processing it'll take around 1-2 working days to dispatch all pre-orders - please keep this in mind.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #3,043 of 7,191

But again due to operational processing it'll take around 1-2 working days to dispatch all pre-orders - please keep this in mind.

Excellent - thanks for keeping us all updated - now to make sure it doesn't get confused with the family Xmas presents when it arrives :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #3,044 of 7,191

Awesome news - thanks for keeping us updated! Looking forward to receiving these soon! Is there a possibility to upgrade the shipping by paying some more from my end?

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #3,045 of 7,191
I am loving the Penrose for PS5 and listening to music save for 1 issue that is not Penrose' fault but an android issue.

I am listening music on Spotify via Bluetooth on a Motorola/Android phone. When changing the volume "by 1", the music goes from too quiet to too loud. I'd love to be able to fine tune it to something in between.

Is there something adjustable in the HQ app that could help me deal with the (seemingly) massive difference in android volume steps?

Apologies if this is a silly or poorly worded question. :)

The sound quality is amazing, and I am surprised at the comfort straight out of the box for a size 8 hat wearer. Clamping force is fine for me. The top could be a bit comfier, but it's really not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back