Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 9, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,002 of 7,191
Unfortunately I decided to refund due the headphones potentially aggravating my tinnitus. I can't say for sure that was the cause, but I don't want to risk it.

Kudos to @Audeze for stellar customer support. Looks like they're also quickly addressing issues people are having with the headphones and they will soon be the de-facto choice for the best wireless gaming cans out there.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3,003 of 7,191
Received my order yesterday in Sydney (I'd post a pic, but as a new user I am not permitted such a privilege!) EDIT: Perhaps it did work?

Our local distributor (Addicted To Audio) is in a different State to me - their service has been outstanding.

I only ordered last Tuesday.

NcQiyNW.jpg
Cheers, looks just like the one A2A delivered to me yesterday to go under the tree for my son. They must’ve had plenty of stock on hand for the Christmas rush. Really looking forward to getting this going with him on Mac, switch, ps4, phone etc.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #3,004 of 7,191
The USB dongle is so inconsistent. I had it working fine in the front USB 3.0 port of my PC but now it won't show up under my sound devices. If I plug it into the back through the motherboard, it shows up but the headset constantly disconnects and reconnects every 10 seconds even though it's only 2 feet away.

Is there a way to reset it somehow?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #3,005 of 7,191
The USB dongle is so inconsistent. I had it working fine in the front USB 3.0 port of my PC but now it won't show up under my sound devices. If I plug it into the back through the motherboard, it shows up but the headset constantly disconnects and reconnects every 10 seconds even though it's only 2 feet away.

Is there a way to reset it somehow?

Given your issues, I recommend just calling Audeze. Maybe they can replace it for you?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,006 of 7,191
Hey, first time poster, but I have read a lot of the pages in this thread over the past few days.
I have a PS5, and am looking for a headset. I haven't had a headset before as everything has been going through my decent 5.1 home theatre setup. But I am doing online gaming more, and sometimes using chat. It is also much better for the family for me to use headphones haha.
My searching came across the Penrose and they sound mostly good despite some of the initial teething problems. But then I have also heard people who are surprised at the Sony Pulse 3D headset (I know I probably just swore in this thread/forum - sorry haha).
Considering they will mostly be used for gaming, would people consider the Penrose to be a significantly better gaming experience vs the Pulse 3D, considering they are about 2.5x the price? I hear that the Pulse 3D just work, although the clarity of the audio of course won't reach the level of the Penrose. But there are also people on this thread who have said they have returned the Penrose. Others have also suggested instead the Arctis 7P.

Also, is there a sound quality difference if the Penrose are plugged into the DualSense controller vs if they are using the 2.4Ghz wireless dongle?

It is a confusing world out there when looking at your first pair of gaming headphones. Lately I have tried using our pair of Sony wh-1000xm3 headphones, simply wired in, and using the controller mic, and that was fine, but those headphones are my wife's, and I am looking for something for my Christmas present haha.

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #3,007 of 7,191
Hey, first time poster, but I have read a lot of the pages in this thread over the past few days.
I have a PS5, and am looking for a headset. I haven't had a headset before as everything has been going through my decent 5.1 home theatre setup. But I am doing online gaming more, and sometimes using chat. It is also much better for the family for me to use headphones haha.
My searching came across the Penrose and they sound mostly good despite some of the initial teething problems. But then I have also heard people who are surprised at the Sony Pulse 3D headset (I know I probably just swore in this thread/forum - sorry haha).
Considering they will mostly be used for gaming, would people consider the Penrose to be a significantly better gaming experience vs the Pulse 3D, considering they are about 2.5x the price? I hear that the Pulse 3D just work, although the clarity of the audio of course won't reach the level of the Penrose. But there are also people on this thread who have said they have returned the Penrose. Others have also suggested instead the Arctis 7P.

Also, is there a sound quality difference if the Penrose are plugged into the DualSense controller vs if they are using the 2.4Ghz wireless dongle?

It is a confusing world out there when looking at your first pair of gaming headphones. Lately I have tried using our pair of Sony wh-1000xm3 headphones, simply wired in, and using the controller mic, and that was fine, but those headphones are my wife's, and I am looking for something for my Christmas present haha.

Thanks.

Honestly I would suggest you buy a couple different headsets from companies with good return policies and try them out. The Penrose do sound good, but Im not you and I can't tell you if the added cost is worth the increase in clarity. I'm sure some here will recommend the Penrose. I'm still testing mine and have ordered a 7p to compare to. I have not tried the pulse 3d,but I did use the Sony golds for many years gaming on ps4. I find the golds adequate s far but more testing to be done on my part before I could recommend something for sure.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,008 of 7,191
I was in contact with the person responsible for sending out the beta firmware. Here is his response in regards to bluetooth/wireless mix as well as a request I had made to bring the cooling ear pads back.

"Thank you very much for those suggestions. We've heard a similar concern from some other users so this is definitely something that we'll be giving some attention to. The Bluetooth/wireless balance was a bit of a point of contention here at the office as well as we tried to get that nailed down, as I don't believe it's going to be user adjustable, but we'll definitely be putting some thought into this.

If your Bluetooth source is coming from an Android phone, one workaround is to disable "Absolute Volume" control in your phone's developer options. This separates the Bluetooth volume from the headphone volume which will allow for finer-tuned control over the mix.

Cooling pads are a big ol' "maybe". They didn't do really well originally so I think management is hesitant for them to make a comeback, but I personally loved them and still use a pair."

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #3,009 of 7,191
Audeze indicate that routers will choose other channels if the one Audeze is using is occupied.

What would be good to know, is what channel, or channel ranges does the Penrose dongle operate on. My routers 2.4 channel is set to 11, one of the three non overlapping channels (1 & 6 being the other two). This may help people ensure the problem is as fixed as possible. If the dongle can operate on all channels 1-11, then I guess it won't make a difference.

Cooling pads are a big ol' "maybe". They didn't do really well originally so I think management is hesitant for them to make a comeback, but I personally loved them and still use a pair."

Several posters on here mentioned that the gel pads made zero difference to them in terms of heat generation and retention over the standard pads.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #3,011 of 7,191
I got the penrose yesterday, so I have a very short time/experience with it, here is my first impressions:
It is solidly built, the sound quality (2.4ghz connecting to PS5, comparing to A50 and pulse 3D) is good (not yet have an in-depth session with it, so "good" is all I have for now lol). It's clamping force feels normal, not the lightest nor the hardest. It is not as comfortable as A50, but way better than pulse 3D.
Right now the biggest complain from me is that atrociously loud announcer voice, it yells "power on", "connected", "bluetooth"... etc. directly into my ear. When it is off my head I used my apple watch to reads its loudness, it shows ~85db each time even when it is open and off my head... Audeze plz fix this, this will damage people's ear...

BTW I pre-ordered this on 11/06 and only received it on 12/08 (US East Coast). My friend ordered his after the release but he received it one week after. Something fishy is going on for Penrose...

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #3,012 of 7,191
I was in contact with the person responsible for sending out the beta firmware. Here is his response in regards to bluetooth/wireless mix as well as a request I had made to bring the cooling ear pads back.

"Thank you very much for those suggestions. We've heard a similar concern from some other users so this is definitely something that we'll be giving some attention to. The Bluetooth/wireless balance was a bit of a point of contention here at the office as well as we tried to get that nailed down, as I don't believe it's going to be user adjustable, but we'll definitely be putting some thought into this.

This is really disappointing....

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #3,015 of 7,191
Bah! I'm caving. I'll just get the Penrose early next year. I just hope i wont experience any drop outs or wooshing. I'll be sitting about 7 feet from my 55" OLED when gaming, so range-wise you'd think i'd be in the clear. And can they get 'loud' loud? I usually have my DT770's at volume 45-50 on my Sony Receiver, if that actually means anything. :p

Anyways, I was playing DOOM 2016 last night using my wired DT770's + receiver....and while they sounded amazing to my ears, once again the wire was driving me batty, rubbing against my neck, or chest, and even my feet. I wanted to rip them off my head and turn the game off. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back