Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,927 of 7,191
So initial thoughts, it's only my first day with Penrose. I did get the new firmware so I can't compare it to the previous version. I don't hear any noise when nothing is playing or at low volume. No woosh, nothing. The headset sounds good, things seem more clear, more distinguished, but the bass seems quiet. I will have to play with this more. I'm not an audiophile and Im not sure the slight increase In clarity is worth the cost right now. I haven't really tested the mic as I am more of a solo gamer, if any of my friends are on tonight I will test it and see what they think.

The clamp is uncomfortable, but I'm sure this will be fine once I stretch it with a pillow tonight. But the top of the headset is really uncomfortable. I can easily see myself having a sore spot in the top of my head after a medium gaming session. If I keep the Penrose I will be getting additional padding for sure.

Range has been fine for me. I have usb plugged in back of my Ps5 and sit about 10 feet away, no pops or disconnects.

Bluetooth and wireless at same time is a big problem. Like, it shouldn't even be listed as a feature. The wireless volume drops so much that it's barely audible. Trying to turn down Bluetooth just drops everything's volume. Right now I feel lie I'm paying for a big feature that doesn't work at all. There is no way this made it through testing unnoticed.

So right now, my feelings are meh. I thought I was missi g something in the audiophile world and right now I'm not so sure. I'll keep playing with them for a couple weeks an switch between them and my ps golds and see if I can justify the cost. If a fix for the Bluetooth doesnt get solved they will be going back regardless.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,928 of 7,191
Tested my pair. Can someone help explain how the get the game/chat setting to work?

My ingame sound is way too low to game. Hope I've simply missed a step.

When I'm connected to PS5 via wireless, and Discord via bluetooth on my iPhone, the PS5 ingame sound drops very very low. I can hear people on discord loud and clear.

I've maxed my PS5 volume, and turned the Penrose dial all the way up until it beeped.
The physical volume dial on the headphones and my phone volume control works... but both game and chat goes up or down in relative proportions.

When I disconnect from the discord call, the game volume automatically jumps back up.

I plugged my Penrose into my PC via cable, made sure it's connected and changed the game/chat mix slider. Unplugged/re-plugged back in to confirm it saved and it seemed to.

However whichever way I turn the game/chat dial, it appears to make no difference?

PS: for people in Australia, ordered mine early Nov. Shipped from Addicted2Audio last Thursday, received them on Monday.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2,929 of 7,191
Just had a weird experience with my ps5 and the penrose. So my dongle was connected to the back of the ps5 and like others i would have intermittent disconnects and reconnects every once in a while, but what happened this time around was a lot more severe. I sit about 2 feet away from my ps5 so connectivity really shouldn't be an issue, but essentially my penrose disconnected and reconnected 2 times back to back. However, I lost all audio and microphone inputs despite the ps5 indicating that I was connected to the headset. I had to remove my dongle from the back port and move it to the front port and then it started working. Just adding this info out there.

On another note, if i connect my penrose to my laptop through Aux the mic doesnt work right? I was trying to get it to work but I think someone said a while back that we need to use a splitter correct?

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,930 of 7,191
Tested my pair. Can someone help explain how the get the game/chat setting to work? My game sound is way too low to game.

Currently that is an XBOX only feature. Sony do not allow 3rd party manufacturers access to the API that would allow for that control. For this to be possible you need either - official Sony PS Headset or a 3rd party with a seperate processing box that splits the audio. This was easier on PS3 & PS4 with optical out, more difficult on PS5.

As such, you just need to use the PS5 mixer in the quick menu.
However, that will have zero effect on the wireless to Bluetooth mix, you will see many complaints about this previously, including over the last few pages, always a good idea to read back several pages when you join a new forum/thread. The mix is fixed and set by Audeze as to what they thought was a good level. Most, including myself, seem to disagree.

No word from Audeze on whether or not this can be altered (corrected) with firmware update yet.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #2,931 of 7,191
So initial thoughts, it's only my first day with Penrose. I did get the new firmware so I can't compare it to the previous version. I don't hear any noise when nothing is playing or at low volume. No woosh, nothing. The headset sounds good, things seem more clear, more distinguished, but the bass seems quiet. I will have to play with this more. I'm not an audiophile and Im not sure the slight increase In clarity is worth the cost right now. I haven't really tested the mic as I am more of a solo gamer, if any of my friends are on tonight I will test it and see what they think.

Play this song on your old headphones / headset, then play it on the Penrose, and then come back and let us know what you think.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,932 of 7,191
Guess, who just showed up... 16074853048847557364544161347491.jpg

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #2,934 of 7,191
Nice! Let us know what you think?
I thought my Mobius was too loose. Now I think my penrose is too tight. :)

I will give it a few listening sessions and let you guys know.

PS. No hiss or any other noise when Mic is off. Plenty when mic is on. But that not worse than my meeting headphones.

Ps2. Ow man, how I missed this sound quality. Really happy for now.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #2,935 of 7,191
The mix is fixed and set by Audeze as to what they thought was a good level. Most, including myself, seem to disagree.

No word from Audeze on whether or not this can be altered (corrected) with firmware update yet.

Interesting. I did read back a number of pages and thought it meant I couldn't adjust it via the PS5, but mix would work if I cabled it in to the PC and changed.
Perhaps I misunderstood.

Does that really mean this is the highest the in-game volume will ever go, while I'm on discord with friends? Sorry if it's been talked to death. Just a little surprised.

Especially if Audeze tested it and thought it was a good idea... My hearing isn't that bad (I hope !) and even at max when connected to both, the in-game sound is only middling at best.

Bit of a dealbreaker if I can't hear the game well. Everything else may be not as smooth but I can work with.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,936 of 7,191
I'm passing on the Penrose due to volume limitations, drop outs, and not having enough bass. i mean for $399 CAD it just isn't worth it to me. Any other wireless audiophile 2.4ghz recommendations for Switch & PS5?

Also with something like a Sony STRDH790 Receiver, is it even possible to get 3D Audio passthrough straight to a pair of DT770 beyers for PS5, just by using the receivers HDMI eArc port and straight to an LG C9's eArc port

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #2,937 of 7,191
I'm passing on the Penrose due to volume limitations, drop outs, and not having enough bass. i mean for $399 CAD it just isn't worth it to me. Any other wireless audiophile 2.4ghz recommendations for Switch & PS5?
All other wireless gaming headsets have significant tradeoffs in exchange for wireless functionality, usually in sound quality. I don't think any others on the market would be considered "audiophile."

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,939 of 7,191
All other wireless gaming headsets have significant tradeoffs in exchange for wireless functionality, usually in sound quality. I don't think any others on the market would be considered "audiophile."

Which is why i'm still clinging to my Beyer DT770(250ohm) and possibly getting a new Sony DH790 Receiver for lossless eArc HDMI audio passthrough straight to my LG C9's eArc HDMI port. I guess wireless headphone technology still isn't there yet. i was hoping to go wireless for next gen gaming, to make things, ya know, feel a little more next gen by ditching that pesky wire, along with upping my TV size from a 55" to a 65" LG CX OLED. but meh

30fps, 1080p and TV's smaller than 65", along with QLED technology needs to be banned for next gen gaming. lol :wink:

60-120fps, 1440p - 4k, and either a 65 or 77" LG CX OLED should be standard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back