Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,821 of 7,191
Yeah of all the gripes I’ve read so far, audio drop-outs and signal interference are what make me the most nervous. I’m hoping the Penrose X’s connection to Series X will be solid, as the one thing I’ll say about the 7P is that I’ve had exactly zero connection issues with the wireless dongle on PS5.

I have a weird issue with the 7P. Explosions and the like were distorted in wireless but sounded ok when I plugged them in to the controller.
When plugged in the volume wheel worked strangely, max volume was quieter than half way and zero volume was still audible.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,822 of 7,191
So my set came today and I gotta say, the blue is not as bad as people were making it out to be, I'm clearly in the minority here but I actually like it lol.

So far so good, plugged the dongle in to the front USB ports of my PC and started streaming solve Tidal. Listened for about 30 mins while moving around the room and into the kitchen for a snack. No dropouts or disconnects. I then switched to Bluetooth and again zero issues. Hopefully this trend continues!

Sound-wise they are very similar in tuning to my Sines with the cipher cable, but a bit more neutral (cipher cable has a 3db bass shelf built in) and with a larger soundstage. Instruments seem to have more room to breathe and seperation is impressive. Vocals sounds sublime on these. As much as Audeze are known for their bass response, I think they nail vocals as well. Upper mids and trebles aren't as withdrawn as those on my LCD's, so it's more neutral in that regard.

It's still an Audeze though so treble is a bit reigned in so as to be non-fatiguing, which I prefer and is the reason I love my LCD2C's.
The Sines have more treble energy to my ear.

Comfort is great so far and the clamp doesn't bother me, will have to see whether the headband bothers me over time though.
The pads do make my ears get warm after an hour.

So far, impressions have been really positive. I haven't tested the mic yet, but gaming wise I seldom make use of a mic, and never user discord (I only game on PlayStation). Will probably give it a test over the weekend when my friends join for some COD warzone and I'll provide feedback then.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,824 of 7,191
I have a weird issue with the 7P. Explosions and the like were distorted in wireless but sounded ok when I plugged them in to the controller.
When plugged in the volume wheel worked strangely, max volume was quieter than half way and zero volume was still audible.

Do you have the PS5’s native 3D audio on by chance? It’s known to cause some distortion in the bass (I find it quite mediocre a lot of the time - like toggling surround sound on an Astro mixamp). Bass seems a bit clearer to me with it off.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #2,825 of 7,191
Do you have the PS5’s native 3D audio on by chance? It’s known to cause some distortion in the bass (I find it quite mediocre a lot of the time - like toggling surround sound on an Astro mixamp). Bass seems a bit clearer to me with it off.

Yes it's much better without it on but still not as good as the X2s into controller. Shame as I find the 3d audio more immersive but not with the 7p due to that. Will be interested to see how the Penrose fayre should I keep my pre order.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #2,826 of 7,191
Yes it's much better without it on but still not as good as the X2s into controller. Shame as I find the 3d audio more immersive but not with the 7p due to that. Will be interested to see how the Penrose fayre should I keep my pre order.

I've found that the 3D audio isn't super great on some PS4 games, which probably don't support it, and it sounds way better on PS5 games. Not sure if that's where you're having issues or not, but may be worth looking into.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,827 of 7,191
I've found that the 3D audio isn't super great on some PS4 games, which probably don't support it, and it sounds way better on PS5 games. Not sure if that's where you're having issues or not, but may be worth looking into.

Interestingly, if I halve the ps5 headphone volume it doesn't distort anywhere near as much if at all. I had it maxxed and was controlling volume on the headset.
My test is on destiny 2. If I've just now discovered the fix I'll keep them, just need to find max volume before it distorts.
Can't believe I've just solved the issue lol

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,828 of 7,191
Interestingly, if I halve the ps5 headphone volume it doesn't distort anywhere near as much if at all. I had it maxxed and was controlling volume on the headset.
My test is on destiny 2. If I've just now discovered the fix I'll keep them, just need to find max volume before it distorts.
Can't believe I've just solved the issue lol

Interesting. I think their next gen patch for Destiny 2 comes out this week or next week? I wonder if it will support the 3D audio better after that.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,829 of 7,191
Interesting. I think their next gen patch for Destiny 2 comes out this week or next week? I wonder if it will support the 3D audio better after that.

That's tomorrow. So it seems 75% is max I can go on the ps5 before the distortion happens. Weird how it doesn't affect the X2s though but as the issue is resolved I guess now I just have to decide which to keep.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,830 of 7,191
What is the purpose of a USB extender? Like how does it factor in the grand scheme of things I'm just curious like I said I'm new with all this haha

So when the Penrose clips or has intermittent connection issues, it can be caused by a few different things:
  • Interference to the wireless signal, either at the USB level or from a another device in close proximity
  • Insufficient or inconsistent power to the dongle
  • Hardware failure at either the USB port, the dongle itself, or the headset
Using an extension cable to move the dongle away from the console can isolate out interference. Using a powered USB hub can isolate out insufficient / inconsistent power. Trying the dongle with another device, such as a PC or Mac, can isolate out hardware to the dongle/headset.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,832 of 7,191
We have enough stock coming to cover all pre-orders and have some left over, our ops team haven't said they have arrived yet but the shipment is in transit. We are still aiming to start shipping next week - it just depends on what day the shipment arrives (we're closed over the weekend).
Any updates re stock arriving?

*crosses fingers and toes* :smiley:

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,833 of 7,191
How am I suppose to know what the battery percentage is on the headphones?

Is there really no battery indicator in the Audeze HQ program?

One of the big cons from my review. That said, Audeze has since requested it from the folks that handle their wireless SDK, so we may see that feature in the future. *fingers crossed*

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #2,834 of 7,191
One of the big cons from my review. That said, Audeze has since requested it from the folks that handle their wireless SDK, so we may see that feature in the future. *fingers crossed*

They had a battery indicator for the Mobius at launch. Was hoping most of the features besides headtracking couldve followed. Guess now is the waiting game.

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,835 of 7,191
They had a battery indicator for the Mobius at launch. Was hoping most of the features besides headtracking couldve followed. Guess now is the waiting game.

Mobius utilizes bluetooth and USB which naturally carries a power indicator. When connected via BT, you can also monitor its battery. It is only with the wireless dongle and AUX that you cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back