Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 7, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,807 of 7,191
@imac2much did your Fedex tracking eventually update or did they just show up one day? I think we were in the same boat with being stuck on "Shipment info sent to Fedex" but no package movement. Unfortunately I'm still in that boat but curious how your order shook out.
It did eventually change status around Thursday or so (which was the original delivery date). It's kind of crazy how slow this shipment was, though I don't blame Audeze on this. I stated earlier, but I purchased something from another retailer who used the exact same FedEx home delivery shipping and it shipped out after Audeze's (Dec 1 from Arizona) and provided constant updates until arriving in Texas on Dec 3. FedEx must be super backed up in California or something.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #2,810 of 7,191
Do the wireless sound levels drop when you connect to BT?

yes, only when I play a sound on the iPhone, when I had the arctic pro wireless this happens only when I get a phone call then gets back to normal levels when I end the call.... with Penrose there's anomaly's:

1- when I get a call wireless sound levels gets low and back to normal when I end the call... this should be normal.

2- when I play a video on WhatsApp and switch to twitter and play videos there the Penrose randomly decides that one of the videos playing is like a phone call then lower the sound but cant decides when to normalize the wireless audio as there's no call to end..so what happened to me I get no audio some times from twitter but I get audio on YouTube app... I had to restart Penrose to get things back to normal.

3- if I use only one app to play videos like twitter everything is ok and normal and Penrose works perfectly.

4- I don't get any sound notifications on Bluetooth from WhatsApp or text mgs or mail. This is odd.

5- big issue now and makes the Penrose unusable for me is the sudden shutdown when I am making a call and playing a game on the iPhone and a huge mic quality drop.

I did make a voice note to my self on WhatsApp to test the mic Bluetooth quality and works perfectly and sounds very clear that I really like this headset and want it to work as advertised. The sound quality by it self is a game changer for me and beats all wireless headset I tried and I am willing to wait on the response from audeze if there's a solution to these issues like a firmware should end it.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,811 of 7,191
So is the crackling affecting everyone with a PS5? Is it something that can be fixed with software or is it a hardware issue? I can't stand anything like that so if it's some kind of lottery it's easier to cancel my order than return.

I haven't experienced any crackling on my PS5 using back or front USB ports.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #2,813 of 7,191
I finally received my Penrose over the weekend. I enjoy audio and have been a member here for several years. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile as I'm often satisfied with Spotify 320kbps for easy listening, though I do buy FLAC albums for certain artists and groups that I want to support and who I believe provide good masters. I do enjoy planar magnetics, and my first planar was an HE-400i that I bought directly from a Hifiman distributor in Beijing before it was even available in the U.S. Since then, I've also owned the HE-560, Oppo PM-1 and PM-3 and ZMF Omni. I eventually moved on from planars as I found their weight to be a nuisance when I wanted to listen to music for more than a couple hours at a time, and settled on some dynamic headphones that are extremely comfortable for long periods of time (HD650, Focal Clear and Sony Z1R). However, I still think my favorite headphone sound signature belongs to that of a planar, the ZMF Omni.

I generally use my Z1R for PC gaming as I don't play any competitive games and I find the audio more immersive than my Clears and HD650. Much like the Omni, I find the Z1R to have an expansive soundstage for a closed headphone, though my HD650 and Clear's aren't renowned for their soundstage anyway. I rarely use headphones for console gaming as they are connected to a home theater 5.1 system, but I've been craving the option for the past year or so now that I have a couple kids, especially when I want to play at night without waking up the house. For portable use, I use Sennheiser Momentum 3.0 and Momentum True Wireless 1.0 with my Switch and Oculus Quest, as they support aptX Low Latency - otherwise, Bluetooth is a non-starter for gaming due to the horrendous latency introduced.

So, first impressions: the Penrose are more comfortable than I expected, though still not what I'd want to wear for more than an hour. I guess I was preparing myself for the worst with all the complaints about clamping force (especially since I have a larger than average head), but I find the pads pretty comfortable and clamping force can usually be adjusted after a few days of stretching. I actually find the headband to be a bit more annoying and it presses very noticeably on the top of my head, which gets annoying after a while. Even though these are lighter than ZMF Omni's, I find them less comfortable overall due to the latter's luxurious cushioning on their pads and headband.

I almost don't want to give my thoughts on the audio yet, because supposedly there will be firmware to fix some of these issues. However, I find it a bit crazy that the headphones have been shipped as is with a promise of future firmware (which probably will not be communicated too well for people who typically purchase "gaming" (marketed) headphones). I connected the Penrose to my PC to turn off sidetone and then plugged the dongle into the front USB 2.0 port of my PS5.

Overall impressions - underwhelmed. Although these sound significantly better than the Sony Pulse 3D that I briefly tried before returning, it still pales in comparison not only to other wired headphones I currently use but also to other wireless headphones I've used in the past. I prefer my Oppo PM-3 and Sennheiser Momentum 3.0's to the Penrose, honestly. But perhaps I'm not giving the Penrose a fair shake, because I get consistent crackle or brief drop-outs when using it with my PS5, which I never experienced with the Pulse 3D (or Momentum's plugged into the Dualsense). In addition to this, I experienced 4 significant disconnects (accompanied with the very loud "CONNECTED" voice yelling in my ear) in the span of an hour, and I sit about 10 feet away from my PS5 with absolutely nothing in between. I've read all the suggestions about purchasing a USB extender or plugging in the rear ports, but it's kind of ridiculous that I would need to resort to that when other wireless options don't have the same problem.

I'll be receiving the Arctis 7P this week so I can do a bit more comparisons, and it sounds like the new Penrose firmware should be available this week as well. I'll also try out a USB extender along with some PC and Bluetooth use before making a final decision (though I'm actually fine with wired headphones at the PC). I do hope that the firmware can fix the connection issue, though I can't recall if that's been promised (I know it's supposed to fix the woosh noise, Sidetone functionality via button press, and mic quality). The Penrose definitely sounds better than the few other "gaming" headphones I've owned, but I guess I just expected more. I know others may disagree, but personally I do not find the increased audio quality worth the unpleasant user experience I've had and continue to experience with this headset. If all else fails and the Arctis 7P is as bad as people make them out to be, I'll probably just return both and find a USB AptX Low Latency adapter to pair with my Momentum 3.0.
I haven't experienced any crackling on my PS5 using back or front USB ports.

so faulty headphones? or what?
i dont know why people are having problems with ps5 and some dont
no offical commnet on that or any revision on firmware or talks with sony???

i just want to get my order and plug and play on ps5 . that is it. because they are marketed for playstation

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #2,818 of 7,191
Yeah of all the gripes I’ve read so far, audio drop-outs and signal interference are what make me the most nervous. I’m hoping the Penrose X’s connection to Series X will be solid, as the one thing I’ll say about the 7P is that I’ve had exactly zero connection issues with the wireless dongle on PS5.
I have just cancelled my penrose order. Ive been back and forth loads of times but im just not confident that they will be worth the money at this stage. I have ordered some fidelio x2hr along with a soundblaster g6, so i lose the wireless but hoping i made the right choice for gaming and music listening. Will watch with interest though and will not be suprised if i re order the penrose again once they have had time to iron out the creases

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,820 of 7,191
What is the purpose of a USB extender? Like how does it factor in the grand scheme of things I'm just curious like I said I'm new with all this haha

It gets the USB dongle (which is a transmitter/receiver) away from the computer, PS5, or whatever device it’s plugged into, on the assumption that something on or near your device is interfering with the dongle (like another transmitter nearby; I’ve read that USB-C devices interfere with 2.4ghz wireless signals, but haven’t experienced it myself). If there’s interference near the port, then physically distancing the dongle from the device (or getting it closer to the headset) may clear up the signal. I haven’t had connection issues myself so can’t speak to how effective it is. If the port itself is a problem, like it’s underpowered, a USB extender probably wouldn’t fix your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back