Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #2,762 of 7,191
Anyone in the US still waiting on shipping info for their PS Penrose? I ordered on 11/6 and still haven't received any info. I'm getting kind of worried, since support said all the preorders should be shipping out by end of this week.

I received a tracking number on 11/28 but it seems like it hasn't even shipped. It's still stuck on "Shipment information sent to FedEx"

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,765 of 7,191
Honestly that may not be a bad thing depending on your use case. There are some issues to resolve that hopefully will be taken care of in a firmware update.

Well, for various reasons, the only headphones I have with me right now are the generic Samsung ones that come with a phone... and I'm missing one of the tips. So literally anything is better right now.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,766 of 7,191
Hello there, just curious if anybody has both penrose and pulse 3d
How do they compare? 3d Audio wise? Is there any difference?
Also sound differences and mic differences very welcome
Please don’t answer if you don’t have both. I expect the penrose to be much better sounding, but am interested in a direct comparison.
thanks

PS: Don’t forget to send some headphones to Europe please 😂

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,767 of 7,191
Please don’t answer if you don’t have both. I expect the penrose to be much better sounding, but am interested in a direct comparison.
thanks

While I hope someone can answer you here I doubt anyone will. Generally speaking if people buy a nice headset they won't be buying the cheaper one released by Sony. I'd wager you will see some reviews on YouTube that may compare them because a reviewer is much more likely to have different headsets just sitting around than a normal person.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,769 of 7,191
thanks

I had the Pulse 3D headset for a few weeks while I was waiting for my Penrose to arrive. To summarize my experience, the Penrose sounds significantly better and it’s quite a bit more comfortable (at least for my head), but the Pulse just worked out of the box with no issues while I’ve had significant connection and interference issues with my Penrose. I’ve been able to troubleshoot and mostly fix these issues by using a USB extender, but the problems haven’t completely gone away while I don’t remember having a single connection issue with the Pulse. I ended up returning the Pulse headset because I wanted something more premium, but at the end of the day, you’re comparing a $100 headset to a $300 headset, so they’re not really in the same league.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,770 of 7,191
I've been enjoying my penrose (first wireless headphone) so far. There's some white noise but I don't notice it when music is playing. There's been a few bugs which will hopefully improve as time goes on. I've had my volume shoot up to 100 out of nowhere and had to rip them off my head quick, that was not pleasant. Some dropping out for short time, and some feedback on occasion. But overall for working and playing wirelessly at pc it's been good.

Unfortunately, I've been having one issue with my use case that's a deal breaker and I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to work around it. I think the issue stems from penrose connecting to both wireless and bluetooth at the same time.

Expectation: I want to be able to use the penrose with pc at desk with wireless for music and gaming with mic. I also want to be able to use the penrose around the house with bluetooth connected to phone.

Scenario where I have problems: Working and gaming as desk with the wireless dongle connected to pc works just fine. However I decided to do some chores around the house and want to keep the headphones on. I leave the pc on, and connect my phone with bluetooth and play music. If I walk away from the pc and out of the ~8ft range of wireless, I hear the voice saying "Connected...Connected...Connected" over and over every ~5 seconds. But walking back closer to the pc it stops. Hitting the multifunction button doesn't seem to help. Is there any way I can just listen to bluetooth music from the phone in my home with these without this happening?

Maybe this is happening because I'm just outside of the range of the wireless dongle and it's connecting and disconnecting over and over? Is there a way I can switch the penrose to be bluetooth only, temporarily? Do I need to unplug the dongle everytime I want to use the headphones with bluetooth? I do like the idea of being able to be at my pc then answer a phone call and not have to take off headphones though, seems handy.

If I can't fix this they might get returned, but penrose seemed like the perfect one stop shop audio and mic solution for me. I listen to music all day at a desk and hate wires, I game on occasion so want low latency audio for that, I need a passable mic, and I want to listen to music around the house wirelessly too. Maybe the mobius fits my use case better? I could use bluetooth connection to pc 90% of the time on the mobius, and just plug it in when I want to game, if the bluetooth sounds decent. Otherwise I'll need bluetooth headphones, wired headphones, and a separate desktop mic which is just to many things.

Appreciate any help thanks!

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,771 of 7,191
I've been enjoying my penrose (first wireless headphone) so far. There's some white noise but I don't notice it when music is playing. There's been a few bugs which will hopefully improve as time goes on. I've had my volume shoot up to 100 out of nowhere and had to rip them off my head quick, that was not pleasant. Some dropping out for short time, and some feedback on occasion. But overall for working and playing wirelessly at pc it's been good.

Unfortunately, I've been having one issue with my use case that's a deal breaker and I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to work around it. I think the issue stems from penrose connecting to both wireless and bluetooth at the same time.

Expectation: I want to be able to use the penrose with pc at desk with wireless for music and gaming with mic. I also want to be able to use the penrose around the house with bluetooth connected to phone.

Scenario where I have problems: Working and gaming as desk with the wireless dongle connected to pc works just fine. However I decided to do some chores around the house and want to keep the headphones on. I leave the pc on, and connect my phone with bluetooth and play music. If I walk away from the pc and out of the ~8ft range of wireless, I hear the voice saying "Connected...Connected...Connected" over and over every ~5 seconds. But walking back closer to the pc it stops. Hitting the multifunction button doesn't seem to help. Is there any way I can just listen to bluetooth music from the phone in my home with these without this happening?

Maybe this is happening because I'm just outside of the range of the wireless dongle and it's connecting and disconnecting over and over? Is there a way I can switch the penrose to be bluetooth only, temporarily? Do I need to unplug the dongle everytime I want to use the headphones with bluetooth? I do like the idea of being able to be at my pc then answer a phone call and not have to take off headphones though, seems handy.

If I can't fix this they might get returned, but penrose seemed like the perfect one stop shop audio and mic solution for me. I listen to music all day at a desk and hate wires, I game on occasion so want low latency audio for that, I need a passable mic, and I want to listen to music around the house wirelessly too. Maybe the mobius fits my use case better? I could use bluetooth connection to pc 90% of the time on the mobius, and just plug it in when I want to game, if the bluetooth sounds decent. Otherwise I'll need bluetooth headphones, wired headphones, and a separate desktop mic which is just to many things.

try an extension usb cable

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2,774 of 7,191
great review. I’m in the same boat as you, where I’ve never experienced ‘high quality’ headphones and have mainly used gaming ones. Did you notice the difference in music using Bluetooth too?

I was so close to cancelling when initial issues were raised but I’m glad I’ve stuck it out and they should be here sometime next week
Yes, all of that was using Bluetooth via my iPhone. I have not tried it in wired mode yet.

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,775 of 7,191

I have a similar habit and my only solution has been to yank the dongle when I’m not relying on USB audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back