Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,581 of 7,191
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,582 of 7,191
So following that timeline, would you estimate that if you intend to flash the unshipped Xs with the new firmware, that they will not begin to be packaged and shipped until next week?
The Penrose X units will have new firmware when users receive them. We will send a shipping update shortly.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #2,583 of 7,191
Sorry guys, the last post was NOT the Audeze mics, but the phone's mic. Uh, Iet me figure this out.

Honestly don't know how.

I can't seem to force the PC to record the bluetooth connection, and I can't do it on the phone either.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,585 of 7,191
Sorry guys, the last post was NOT the Audeze mics, but the phone's mic. Uh, Iet me figure this out.

Honestly don't know how.

I can't seem to force the PC to record the bluetooth connection, and I can't do it on the phone either.

When I connected via bluetooth windows seemed to mute the mic in the settings, it also seems to come up as headset microphone instead of just Microphone

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,586 of 7,191
To keep this on topic, I've received the new beta version and can confirm the noise floor is lower, and the female voice is much quieter. As for the whoosh, it's completely gone. All I need to address with the new fw is the mic clarity, which is my biggest concern. I'll be doing that now.

The difference between no vsync and vrr is like 1-2ms. I think it went from 6ms to 8ms. Definitely imperceptible. I can attest to it being amazingly responsive. As for black levels, this is...a little misunderstood. It doesn't raise black levels, it raises near 0 black levels, so the stuff just above blacks. The problem is real, but can be mitigated by lower brightness setting a few notches. So instead of 50 brightness, 47-48 fixes most of this issue. Since 0 is already true black, there's no downside to crushing the 0- value further. The tweak to lower near 0 back down to more correct levels fixes the higher VRR issues. Though not a perfect fix, it is a big one.

Eh, I haven't noticed much in terms of black crush. Yeah, it's not my VT60 plasma in terms of shadow detail, but it's fine overall. Much better than OLEDs of yesteryear.

I'm one of those guys that uses BFI at all times when gaming with the C9. It's plenty bright. OLED light at 100 with BFI is the equivalent of OLED light at 40 without, more or less. Without BFI, I generally leave my OLED light at 25-30, so trust me when In say the TV is bright enough. In HDR, it's even brighter still even with BFI. Much brighter than I'd ever need it to be. Yeah it's not 1000nits, but I had a Quantum X FALD Vizio which had like 2500nits peak, and it was tooooooo much. Hell even NU8000 Samsung which had over 1000 and the outside Vizio P series in the living room have more brightness than I'd want personally.

As for input lag, even with BFI it's fine. It's def not like VRR/no vsync, but for 99% of games I play, it's more than responsive. I mean, as long as input lag measurements are below 30ms (which this TV WITH BFI is not even 20ms), I'm fine.

The c9 ( with BFI does around 700lines, which is definitely more than enough for motion clarity, compared to the terrible 300lines of no BFI. I can't play without BFI. It's too blurry. WEith BFI, it's perfectly fine. It ain't my VT60 for motion, but it's close.

120hz mode disables BFI, but it's motion clarity is equivalent to BFI, so I'm happy with that as well. Justwaiting to replace my 2080ti with a 3080 or igher so I can take advantage of 4K/120 instead of being limited to 1440p/120.

I've tried using BFI+100 OLED light when gaming, and i could never adjust. just isn't bright enough for me personally, BUT for movies in a dark room it's definitely doable especially if you're coming from plasma. With gaming, i generally have OLED light set to 70-100 and contrast to 95. With movies, i leave it at 60 in a dark room. 55 is the equivalent to 200 nits.

The LG C9's Color Volume however is lack luster, especially if your compare it to the latest Sony OLED's. NO contest. Sony destroys LG in this area. setting color to 50+Auto on the CX will give you awful desaturated dead lifeless colors. the C9 fairs a little bit better but not by much. On the CX, you can actually enter a hidden menu and switch the Color to BT2020 for SDR which gives you far greater color that closes the gap between something like the CX & A8G. I typically stay away from HDR...there's no quality standards and the majority of HDR movies i've stumbled across look noticeably worse than SDR. i leave it off when gaming too.

Anyways, I'm looking to get a 65" next year. The 55" was a bad move. :p I'm probably going to wait and see how the new 2021 LG C1 & G1 turn out, or maybe Sony might finally adopt HDMI 2.1, VRR and lower their input lag to sub 16ms. If for some weird bizarre reason 2021 OLEDs wind up being a bust, i'll just snag a 65" CX and switch the color to BT2020.

For the PS5 & upcoming Nintendo Console(Spring 2022 at the latest i'm guessing), the following needs to be left for dead > Any TV smaller than 65", 30fps and 1080p. 65" OLED should be the bare minimum, along with 60fps and 1440p. :p

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2,587 of 7,191
I like this headset but I've tried different USB ports, aux, turned off sidetone and still get this distortion/whoosh sound listening to anything. I hope they fix it in an update. Or it kinda sounds like I got a bad pair. When I'm gaming on my PS5 it almost drowns out when im in game chat but still. Also I can't connect to Bluetooth on my phone. The Penrose doesn't show up for some reason.

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,588 of 7,191
I like this headset but I've tried different USB ports, aux, turned off sidetone and still get this distortion/whoosh sound listening to anything. I hope they fix it in an update. Or it kinda sounds like I got a bad pair. When I'm gaming on my PS5 it almost drowns out when im in game chat but still. Also I can't connect to Bluetooth on my phone. The Penrose doesn't show up for some reason.

FYI the whoosh is a known bug and Audeze says it will be fixed in a firmware update hopefully released next week. I also get it and I’ve stopped using the headset until it’s fixed, because it’s omnipresent in my use. So don’t worry if you got a bad pair.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,589 of 7,191
FYI the whoosh is a known bug and Audeze says it will be fixed in a firmware update hopefully released next week. I also get it and I’ve stopped using the headset until it’s fixed, because it’s omnipresent in my use. So don’t worry if you got a bad pair.

I got a response from support was saying it should be an update for the Audeze HQ app on either Monday or Tuesday.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,590 of 7,191

I had this problem earlier. I pressed the button on the side until it said bluetooth, then I held it until it said pairing, but I couldn't get it to show up. I pulled out the box, and read the insert that comes inside. You have to press the button until she says bluetooth, then double tap the power button, and she will say pairing. I know it sounds the same, but this is what got it to show up for me.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,591 of 7,191
We are testing it with a few people. We expect to have general release next week.

love the Penrose amazing sound quality and mic on phone calls (coming from artics pro wireless and articss 7 and Siberia 800 user).

planar is amazing, the vocals are so clear I am shocked :) .

I use the new THX spatial software on PC instead of atmos which I have also but its a better surround with THX.

here's my issue:

- headset suddenly disconnect when I answer a call with Bluetooth...also disconnecting Bluetooth suddenly.

- there's a loud tone every time coming up couple of times, is it a battery indication or just a tone to let me know my phone have sound playing (pro wireless does this every time I get a massage on my WhatsApp)?

- distance is a little bad when I move just away a little like 3 meters, I get disconnect re-connect.

will the new incoming update fix this? if not all of them, which one?

thanks

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #2,593 of 7,191
After some quick fiddling now that I had free time. The feature you want off while using the Penrose mic on Discord is Echo Cancellation. For whatever reason, this starts to muffle every other syllable. After some intense testing with the Discord settings and blowing a friend's eardrums apart, this is the only thing that seems to fix it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #2,595 of 7,191
After some quick fiddling now that I had free time. The feature you want off while using the Penrose mic on Discord is Echo Cancellation. For whatever reason, this starts to muffle every other syllable. After some intense testing with the Discord settings and blowing a friend's eardrums apart, this is the only thing that seems to fix it.

Thanks for posting your findings on this. Waiting for my unit still but it helps to know what to turn off when it comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back