Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,491 of 7,191
Today, I played a bit more of the game, and while I did not experience the reconnecting issue, every now and then I hear like 1 or 2 crackles or pops. They would just come and go very quickly and randomly. Sometimes it's just in one ear, and it was mildly uncomfortable to experience. Anyone else hear anything like this?

Been following this thread for a while, but just chiming in to say I have noticed this exact same thing and its kind of annoying. I don't know if it's a range issue or what, but the random pops kinda suck. It's like a high pitch pop or click. It's not super loud, but loud enough to distract when it happens. Sometimes I can go 20 mins without hearing it, then sometimes it will happen like 2 or 3 times in the span of 5 minutes, its pretty random. Sometimes it only happens on one side, sometimes it sounds like it's happening simultaneously from both sides at the same time.

So far I've only noticed it when using it on PS5 wirelessly, which im about 9-10ft away from the front USB port but with direct LoS. Plugged into the DualSense controller via 3.5mm jack I don't think I've heard it. On PC via wireless, I don't think I've heard it either, but on PC I'm only about 3-4ft away from the USB receiver.

Anyone experiencing this? Wondering if I have a faulty one.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #2,492 of 7,191
Been following this thread for a while, but just chiming in to say I have noticed this exact same thing and its kind of annoying. I don't know if it's a range issue or what, but the random pops kinda suck. It's like a high pitch pop or click. It's not super loud, but loud enough to distract when it happens. Sometimes I can go 20 mins without hearing it, then sometimes it will happen like 2 or 3 times in the span of 5 minutes, its pretty random. Sometimes it only happens on one side, sometimes it sounds like it's happening simultaneously from both sides at the same time.

So far I've only noticed it when using it on PS5 wirelessly, which im about 9-10ft away from the front USB port but with direct LoS. Plugged into the DualSense controller via 3.5mm jack I don't think I've heard it. On PC via wireless, I don't think I've heard it either, but on PC I'm only about 3-4ft away from the USB receiver.

Anyone experiencing this? Wondering if I have a faulty one.

I had that the first day when connecting the dongle to the back of my computer. When I moved it away via an extension cable (technically a powered USB hub), the issue went away completely. I think I commented about that in my review, not sure.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,493 of 7,191
I'm almost certain if you're getting pops it's a usb port issue, and I'd avise on switching to a different port. That's almost always the problem with dongles connected via usb.

I have a bunch of noisy usb ports on my pc, and it's a hassle finding a good one. But it's my PC, not the Penrose or its dongle.

As for my experience with the Penrose, I've had no usb port related problems. No pops or disconnects.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,494 of 7,191
The USB dongle seems to be both power-hungry and sensitive to interference. Is there a way to get yourself even closer? I know that doesn't resolve the issue but it's all I've got! For what it's worth, my connection has been fine and I'm at 6 feet LOS.

@kism did you ever use your Sony for voice chat and, if so, how did you manage it? It's my understanding the mic is unavailable with AUX input and Windows handles Bluetooth headsets poorly in my experience.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,495 of 7,191
I DO think the wireless quality has improved. It's still a far cry from the wired connection, but raising the volume and comparing it, I can't say I'm no longer totally against the idea of using the Penrose wirelessly. It's still not something I'd consider if mic quality is of upmost importance, but it is an improvement.

Initial release:

and now...

Updated:

Tell me what you guys think. That muffled veil has lifted considerably, which is absolutely a good thing.

edit: added the Mobius mic for comparison sake. This is the same one from below, just adding it here as well.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2,496 of 7,191
Ok, so I have good news. I DO think the wireless quality has slightly improved. It's still a far cry from the wired connection, but raising the volume and comparing it, I can't say I'm no longer totally against the idea of using the Penrose wirelessly. It's still not something I'd consider if mic quality is of upmost importance, but it is an improvement. That being said, I'd still plug in through the aux input if possible.

Tell me what you guys think.

Sounds noticeably louder and clearer, though there is still a muffled quality to it. Reminds me of an underpowered HD650.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2,497 of 7,191
And here's the Mobius mic with the updated Penrose in wireless.

Sorry for the peaks. Not sure how to mitigate that.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2,501 of 7,191
Any chance of hearing another updated Penrose recording, but with the pop filter back on? Just to compare directly with the first Penrose recording that had the filter on? But so far that seems promising, does sound better.
Sure, give me a few minutes.

edit: Ok I've added it to the last post, but here it is for sake of updates.

It actually sounds better than the last test.

Hmm, I might be ok with this. Audeze stated they'd improve the mic clarity, and lo and behold. They're true to their word. Magicians.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,502 of 7,191
Sure, give me a few minutes.

edit: Ok I've added it to the last post, but here it is for sake of updates.

It actually sounds better than the last test.

Hmm, I might be ok with this.

That sounds very noticeably better than the original pop filter test. If that's the quality I'll be getting, I won't have any issues.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,503 of 7,191
I'm quite surprised at the improvement! I honestly didn't expect it to improve that much. I was sorely disappointed with the quality on release. This? This I can live with.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,505 of 7,191
I had like 3 paragraphs on the review expressing my disappointment of the wireless mic experience. Now I have to delete all that. :rolling_eyes:

But you know? That's something I'm happy to do. This is a major win for all of us.

THIS. THIS IS WHY I HAVEN'T POSTED MY REVIEW YET.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back