Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,462 of 7,191
@Audeze I’ve been eagerly awaiting my headset and reading this thread in its entirety. I pre-ordered directly from you on 29OCT and my order is still “unfulfilled”. As I am based on the east coast, any ideas when the remainder of the US based, direct orders, will ship?

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,463 of 7,191
1. So their solution to keep things simple across all platforms is, instead of something where they do the work once and it works across every platform from windows/mac/linux/ps/xbox to random OSes only some guy and his brother use without ever needing further user input, to rely on maybe implementing a running-on-the-host-pc software side solution later that will be platform dependent? Yeah, no, that's not simplifying things, that's just lazy.
2. It's disingenuous at best to refer to your firmware as software in the context they were using, if they did in fact mean firmware and not the software on the system. Software gives the implication something running on the client's computer would need to be a part of the equation, which is not the case with decent firmware as proven by competing products. Don't call a square a rectangle when you can call it a square. Especially not when you're calling it a rectangle to get around how much better the more difficult for you solution is for literally everyone but you having to implement it.

My priority is having both, which is what makes it so incredibly annoying that the Penrose has skipped out on the most basic of gaming headset features. It just leaves choices of adequate headset / excellent headphones or excellent headset / adequate headphones when it could easily have been an excellent headset / excellent headphones option by doing some basic market research and making sure to have feature parity with the competition. Now the only way to get both is to have both and fuss with switching between them depending on what I'm doing.
  1. Not going to discuss this further with you as your mind is already completely made up in thinking that Audeze was just lazy.
  2. Let me reiterate, firmware IS software.
  3. Chat mix is not the most basic of gaming headset features. I use my Penrose just fine without it. In fact, I have never bothered to use chat mix features on ANY gaming headsets I have tried before or though that I absolutely needed it when using normal headphones.
You do you though. At the end of the day, design and cost decisions are paramount for any company, especially smaller ones entering a new market. It sounds like Audeze did do research into the feature you want and simply decided it wasn't something they should implement.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,464 of 7,191
2. Let me reiterate, firmware IS software.

It sounds like Audeze did do research into the feature you want and simply decided it wasn't something they should implement.
Firmware is software, yes, but more specifically it's firmware, a specific subset of software.
When you say "software" it gives an end user the impression they may have to install something. When you say "firmware", the specific type of software being used here, it's made clear the installation is on your end, not the end user's.

And it sounds like they barely did any research, certainly not enough hands-on time with competing products, if their conclusion was that it would somehow be simpler to have to use software you install on each device you own than to have it just automatically work, or more platform support friendly to rely on software they develop for maybe two pc platforms at best than a truly universal system that works on every single operating system even if it's something so niche Audeze wouldn't even know it exists. Unless they mean simpler FOR THEM and not FOR YOU, which is just lazy. It's hard not to come to that conclusion when they're practically outright admitting it with keeping things simple on their end as the excuse for the missing feature.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,465 of 7,191
Chat mix is a really convenient feature and gaming headsets 6 years old have been doing it fine over wireless 2.4.

The Bluetooth audio device controlling the volume for 2 sources seems odd too.

I will most likely keep mine when it arrives but it will be an inconvenience transitioning from a gaming headset that does it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,466 of 7,191
When connected to my PS5 via dongle and my iPhone via BT, when I lower the phone's volume via BT, the volume of the PS5 audio is also lowered as if the phone controlled the overall volume of the headset. How can I lower the volume on my phone via BT while maintaining the volume of the PS5?

cc @Audeze

This can be done on android by disabling absolute volume control in the phone settings.

Sadly I don't think there's a way to do the same on Iphone.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,467 of 7,191
Firmware is software, yes, but more specifically it's firmware, a specific subset of software.
When you say "software" it gives an end user the impression they may have to install something. When you say "firmware", the specific type of software being used here, it's made clear the installation is on your end, not the end user's.

And it sounds like they barely did any research, certainly not enough hands-on time with competing products, if their conclusion was that it would somehow be simpler to have to use software you install on each device you own than to have it just automatically work, or more platform support friendly to rely on software they develop for maybe two pc platforms at best than a truly universal system that works on every single operating system even if it's something so niche Audeze wouldn't even know it exists. Unless they mean simpler FOR THEM and not FOR YOU, which is just lazy. It's hard not to come to that conclusion when they're practically outright admitting it with keeping things simple on their end as the excuse for the missing feature.
Audeze is not a high volume manufacturer when you compare them to companies like Steel Series.
So, it is understandable that they left a few features out to keep the R&D costs down on their side which in turn lets us buy them for 300 USD.

Anyways most people are buying it for the audio and mic quality imo. Chatmix is not very high on my priority list.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #2,468 of 7,191

I mean, you can just use the built in volume mixer in windows to adjust the volume for different apps can you not? You don't need to install anything. Also the primary use for these headsets seem to be the new consoles, where xbox has it's own proprietary chat mix which the penrose X does support, and the PS5 just doesn't expose the chatmix controls over USB to any headset besides the 1st party one, no matter how many sound devices the dongle appears as.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #2,469 of 7,191
I mean, you can just use the built in volume mixer in windows to adjust the volume for different apps can you not? You don't need to install anything.
What use is a volume mixer on your computer for a wireless headset? That's just trading one cord for a different kind of tether to the machine. If the chatmix dial would actually control the chatmix on PC as the competition does, it would be possible to actually use the headset away from the host PC.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #2,470 of 7,191
What use is a volume mixer on your computer for a wireless headset? That's just trading one cord for a different kind of tether to the machine. If the chatmix dial would actually control the chatmix on PC as the competition does, it would be possible to actually use the headset away from the host PC.
It seems chatmix is the most important feature for you.
If the company has said they have not implemented it, they must have some reason for it. R&D cost could be one of the reasons. Production cost could be another one.

In my opinion it is not a make or break feature for most people.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,472 of 7,191
It seems chatmix is the most important feature for you.
If the company has said they have not implemented it, they must have some reason for it. R&D cost could be one of the reasons. Production cost could be another one.

In my opinion it is not a make or break feature for most people.
One of. Enough I've ordered another Arctis to replace my broken one despite the shoddy build and mediocre sound, and enough I'll probably be regularly switching between the Arctis and Penrose no matter how much better the Penrose sounds. At least I won't be tied to a desk for music, even if I have to switch headsets for different tasks. But god it's frustrating how easily they could have had something perfect for every role if they didn't neglect to implement features the competition has.
I guess they found it important enough to prominently show a chatmix dial running on PC on the product page, and never explicitly saying on that page that chatmix does not function on PC but that dial, on the PC software, only adjusts it for Xbox, but instead just only explicitly mentioning Xbox for chatmix support letting other platforms be ambiguous. I don't believe it's intentionally confusing, but wanting to display it so prominently makes it hard to say they don't see the importance.
Mix.jpeg

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,474 of 7,191
I think the fight above is hitting on something important, though I don’t want to pile on. I think there was a failure to communicate some of the functions of this headset and its accompanying software. I expected chatmix as well, but its loss is less important for my needs. However, I did expect both an iOS application and independent volume control in dual wireless mode. I understand the official explanations that neither is possible, but it’s not what I expected in the product and reduces its value to me for my needs. I feel badly for anyone who doesn’t have access to a PC to run critical updates, especially with the audio bug in the launch firmware. Hopefully the firmware and the Mac/Android applications will launch at the same time, and hopefully both soon.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,475 of 7,191
Sounds like hifiheadphones are literally the last retailer to be recieving these. I hope they send out quickly and with fast delivery when they get them

They are in a race with Scan.co.uk for who's last it seems. Asked Scan for an update - their response, 'awaiting update from Audeze'.

@Audeze - can you confirm the UK units left you last week or are they being shipped this week as one retailer seems to imply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back