Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #2,431 of 7,191
I don’t have my Penrose yet (from UK) but I read up on the manual in anticipation for the headphones and it says on therethat Audeze advise using usb 2.0 as 3 can give interference, I wonder if that’s why Ps5 users using the back USB ports have connectivity issues as the back ones are 3.0 and are experiencing better performance when swapping them around

Ah right, thanks - looks like it's going to be a bit of trial and error with choosing the best port then.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #2,434 of 7,191
I would consider it extraordinarily unlikely that the final reason was anything but cost or complete lack of researching how their competition implemented chatmix solutions. If that chipset really does sound better, and it's already a stretch to say the wireless componet, which by any objective measure should be beyond the limits of human hearing, is the limiting factor in other headsets rather than the obviously lacking drivers, they could still have had it present as two devices and allow universal chatmix by simply doubling up on them in the dongle.
They’ve made a $300 headset and you think it’s more likely they cut corners to save a couple of bucks on the wireless chipset compared with $130 headsets, than that they chose a specific chipset because it has other advantages? Seems unlikely to me, but who knows.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #2,436 of 7,191
If it helps Windows 10 can do voice mix as a built-in feature using the Xbox game bar (accessed by Win+G).
I would consider it extraordinarily unlikely that the final reason was anything but cost or complete lack of researching how their competition implemented chatmix solutions. If that chipset really does sound better, and it's already a stretch to say the wireless componet, which by any objective measure should be beyond the limits of human hearing, is the limiting factor in other headsets rather than the obviously lacking drivers, they could still have had it present as two devices and allow universal chatmix by simply doubling up on them in the dongle.

Wireless transmission on Penrose is lossless, whereas it is not so on most other competitors. If the wireless component was "by any objective measure beyond the limits of human hearing" why wouldn't everyone offer it? Obviously the Penrose offers some benefits compared to others in the wireless component, not just the drivers. "Simply doubling up on them in the dongle" wouldn't work either because then you have two proprietary communication protocols, which would need to be supported on both the dongle and the receiver, addition of which will add to the cost and complexity, and the benefit from it being a functionality that most people consider as a nice extra to have on a headset. Sounds to me like they made the right marketing research and decision, and judging by the interest in this product even after being delayed so much it clearly has a place in the market that is not yet filled.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #2,438 of 7,191
Sorry, but that's BS. The Arctis headphones make chatmix work just fine on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Xbox with their system of just presenting two independent audio devices, and the right models work without chatmix on Android, iOS, and Playstation too. There's no reason Audeze could not have done the same thing, and support for multiple platforms is no excuse when the competition with this feature works on every single platform the Penrose works on.

I'd respect "we're just lazy" over an excuse so transparent as to be this easily countered looking at what the competition supports.

Are the Arctic headphones planar magnetic? Consider the possibility that it’s not “we’re just lazy,” but that Audeze made a business decision which included price, and balancing price with features and the implementation costs of those features given the other engineering decisions made in order to prioritize audio quality and the fact that it’s a planar magnetic headphone.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #2,439 of 7,191
Then it's a poor choice of chipset, and something else should have been chosen instead to meet the competition's features. Was there just zero market research going in? The hardware clearly exists to have functional mixing on most platforms and an otherwise functional headset on all platforms.
The chipset other manufacturers use - do you understand the engineering and cost implications and how they relate to the other requirements for this design in this planar magnetic headphone?

Clearly, the choices Audeze made don’t align with your priorities, so you probably should you buy something else. :)

I’m happy with my Penrose. I actually wish it did have more features, including the ones you prioritize, but I get that there are design and cost realities in what is a pretty unique offering and this implementation doesn’t have those, and I’m okay with it on balance, for what I paid and what I got for what I paid.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,444 of 7,191
To clarify, I’m only waiting for Amazon because they partner with Asurion and I’m planning to buy the 3-4 year accident protection plan with the Penrose. Audeze doesn’t have any options like that, it’s just the first year right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back