Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 30, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,402 of 7,191
2.4GHz wireless via dongle will sound better than BT, yes. It really comes down to use case honestly. There are headsets with currently more developed or mature software and wireless tech, but they are noticeably inferior in sound quality. What you really need to ask yourself is this; how important is high fidelity sound to me? If it's important or a priority, Penrose is for you. If you are content with how gaming headsets usually sound, there are cheaper alternatives available. For me, I prioritize sound and lossless wireless. I don't care about chat at all. As such, Penrose is fantastic for me.

I chat when gaming, but how I sound isn't a priority for me as long as my team can hear me. I just want a great sound experience, either wired or wireless. These were recommended to me back in July so I ordered them. Sounds like I have a lot to be excited for. I've used Shure SE535s and Sennheiser headphones so I have had good sound before, but never these type.

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,403 of 7,191
So I moved my mic to that photo position (the girl who has it super up close in the marketing image) and it was no good. I moved it an inch further away and my friend said it made a world of difference and I sound much clearer but still 'different' than my wired PC37x. I'll try to put some effort into more Discord samples, but so far happy I'm making progress.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,404 of 7,191
So I moved my mic to that photo position (the girl who has it super up close in the marketing image) and it was no good. I moved it an inch further away and my friend said it made a world of difference and I sound much clearer but still 'different' than my wired PC37x. I'll try to put some effort into more Discord samples, but so far happy I'm making progress.

Remember to play with the angle of the mic too, not just the physical location.

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #2,405 of 7,191
We will try to make and post some videos next week. But here is some quick information on the microphone.
fr_respond_penrose_mic_600x600.png

What this graph shows is the frequency response of the microphone at various angles.
The RED color frequency response is with the silver mesh facing the mouth (like the picture of the mic with the girl). At this position of the mic, you can see the microphone frequency response is quite linear from about 100 Hz to 10 Khz.

The Black color line hows the response at 180 Degrees. This is the pickup of the microphone from the Audeze "A" grill side. As you can see it is about 10 dB less than the mesh side. This is intentional. The microphone picks up sound much better from the mesh side (Where voice is coming from) compared to the Logo side (eg- Computer or environmental noise).

The Green color shows the frequency resonse at 135 Degrees. Typically tis is where you would find the Keyboard etc. You will notice compared to the pickup from the microphone direction it is almost 25 dB less around 1 Khz.
Untitled_1200x.jpg

Every 6 dB decrease/ increase represents a double of Voltage. A general rule of them is every 10 dB reduction is equivalent to half the perceived ludness.
So the pick up from the front to the back (180 Deg) is reduced by half and at keyboard level (135 Deg) is reduced by 1/4th.

This is designed intentionally, so the microphone pickups more from the person speaking rather than extraneous noise.

Discord - To measure the quality fo the microphone, you can directly record it using voice memo, audacity or any other application and play it back. When you tet with Discord or other applications that process the audio, various settings affect the quality.

We are working on optimized settings for Discord, Skype etc and will post them soon.

https://www.audeze.com/blogs/audeze-journal/audeze-penrose-microphone-samples

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 30, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,406 of 7,191
We will try to make and post some videos next week. But here is some quick information on the microphone.
fr_respond_penrose_mic_600x600.png
What this graph shows is the frequency response of the microphone at various angles.
The RED color frequency response is with the silver mesh facing the mouth (like the picture of the mic with the girl). At this position of the mic, you can see the microphone frequency response is quite linear from about 100 Hz to 10 Khz.

The Black color line hows the response at 180 Degrees. This is the pickup of the microphone from the Audeze "A" grill side. As you can see it is about 10 dB less than the mesh side. This is intentional. The microphone picks up sound much better from the mesh side (Where voice is coming from) compared to the Logo side (eg- Computer or environmental noise).

The Green color shows the frequency resonse at 135 Degrees. Typically tis is where you would find the Keyboard etc. You will notice compared to the pickup from the microphone direction it is almost 25 dB less around 1 Khz.
Untitled_1200x.jpg

Every 6 dB decrease/ increase represents a double of Voltage. A general rule of them is every 10 dB reduction is equivalent to half the perceived ludness.
So the pick up from the front to the back (180 Deg) is reduced by half and at keyboard level (135 Deg) is reduced by 1/4th.

This is designed intentionally, so the microphone pickups more from the person speaking rather than extraneous noise.

Discord - To measure the quality fo the microphone, you can directly record it using voice memo, audacity or any other application and play it back. When you tet with Discord or other applications that process the audio, various settings affect the quality.

We are working on optimized settings for Discord, Skype etc and will post them soon.

https://www.audeze.com/blogs/audeze-journal/audeze-penrose-microphone-samples
Very nice!

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #2,409 of 7,191
I am a little confused about compatibility in regards to accessing app to adjust EQ & set up presets, preferably as I’m playing the game I’m adjusting for.
I have an Xbox series x, a MacBook, an iPhone, and a windows laptop for work. How’s it looking for me?

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,411 of 7,191
I am a little confused about compatibility in regards to accessing app to adjust EQ & set up presets, preferably as I’m playing the game I’m adjusting for.
I have an Xbox series x, a MacBook, an iPhone, and a windows laptop for work. How’s it looking for me?
You can use the window app today. Next up is the android app. We will also release the mac app after that.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 1, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2,413 of 7,191
  • As for "chat/game mix" on PC, the conversation on this point was long (and technical) but ultimately my understanding on this point is that it is a byproduct of a design decision and the chipsets on the market. Audeze wanted to make headphones that can work across multiple platforms, not just PC, so it seems this feature is not possible at this point with the way Penrose was designed to mix audio
Sorry, but that's BS. The Arctis headphones make chatmix work just fine on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Xbox with their system of just presenting two independent audio devices, and the right models work without chatmix on Android, iOS, and Playstation too. There's no reason Audeze could not have done the same thing, and support for multiple platforms is no excuse when the competition with this feature works on every single platform the Penrose works on.

I'd respect "we're just lazy" over an excuse so transparent as to be this easily countered looking at what the competition supports.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #2,414 of 7,191
Sorry, but that's BS. The Arctis headphones make chatmix work just fine on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Xbox with their system of just presenting two independent audio devices, and the right models work without chatmix on Android, iOS, and Playstation too. There's no reason Audeze could not have done the same thing, and support for multiple platforms is no excuse when the competition with this feature works on every single platform the Penrose works on.

I'd respect "we're just lazy" over an excuse so transparent as to be this easily countered looking at what the competition supports.

It's possible I misunderstood what I was told during my visit at Audeze, but my understanding was that it has to do with the chipset they chose, its placement, and how Penrose does its onboard audio mixing, which is different than what steelseries is using and doing.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #2,415 of 7,191
It's possible I misunderstood what I was told during my visit at Audeze, but my understanding was that it has to do with the chipset they chose, its placement, and how Penrose does its onboard audio mixing, which is different than what steelseries is using and doing.
Then it's a poor choice of chipset, and something else should have been chosen instead to meet the competition's features. Was there just zero market research going in? The hardware clearly exists to have functional mixing on most platforms and an otherwise functional headset on all platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back