Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,356 of 7,191
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new headsets and I would like to know if teh penrose is the one that I should buy or if I have to choose an other.

My use case :
- The headset must be wireless (I use video projector and I'm far from the sources)
- I will mainly use it to play on PS5
- My second usage is watching movie via an nvidia shield (support bluetooth connection and maybe USB but I prefer bluetooth to not have to disconnect the headset from the PS5 everytime
- Third usage call conferences at work on a PC (via usb or bluetooth)

I play very few network game so the mic is not very important, I will only use it to play time to time and to do online meeting at work (so the quality doesn't matter I just want somethings that work), I prefer having good sound to watch movie and play games, when my girlfriends sleep (otherwise I have a focal sound system with a denon amp)

For the moment I have a turtle beach 800 because at those time it was the only one to have 2.4ghz+bluetooth+wired connection, unfortunately since I play on the ps5 sound is crappy (because I use USB and not optics and it seem this headset usb port is only for chatting, there is also crappy sound when using it on the PC via usb but it's ok via bluetooth).
What is fun is that the penrose from the functionality point of view and also physically look a lot like the turtle beach 800. Personally I find that the turtle beach is comfortable for the first few hours but if I wear it a long time (> 3h) it start to pressure on my head. (and my girlfriend feel it totally unconfortable anyway). So I'm bit afraid as the penrose seem to have the same design).

It doesnt' seem to have much headset with all those features, I only found :
- penrose
- steel seeries PRO
- turtle beach 700 gen2

But if you know other headset with bluetooth + 2.4ghz I'm interested.
My budget is between 200/400 $

Which one do you think is the best for me ?

Thanks

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,357 of 7,191
I'd like to know as well, I see that people who ordered Penrose direct in early November have received shipping notifications which is a bit frustrating to hear when I've ordered in September from an AU distributor.
All AU headphones have been shipped last week. You should get them soon.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #2,358 of 7,191
  1. As a MacBook/iPhone user with an Xbox Series X, I assume I’m at the mercy of Audeze working on and then releasing a Mac app before I can update the firmware. Is there no way to download the firmware and update via a web app like other companies? Failing this, could I run the Android app in an emulator on my mac and update this way?
  2. Can I charge these while using them? I sit at a desk gaming/working so the wireless aspect is a bonus but not integral to my purchase decision. I’m happy to sit at my desk wired in charging while using them at the same time if that’s possible. not having a battery indicator is not ideal, as I'll be using these for work as well as gaming so if I need to hop on a call I don't want them to suddenly die on me mid-conversation.
  3. I use a MacBook for work and Xbox Series X for gaming. I don’t think I’ve seen anything official or unofficial, but I’m assuming these will work over BT with my MacBook, right? What would be the best way to use these to get the best sound with my MacBook if I'm watching a film? Assuming via the wireless dongle if I just remove that from the Xbox when I’m not gaming and plug it into my MacBook? They’re right next to each other so moving from one to the other is no bother for me.
  4. I’m actually looking forward to having sidetone again, my main headphones broke and so I’m using some cheap Turtle Beach to get me through the winter until the Penrose X is delivered. Just how bad are the sidetone issues? All I’ve heard from Audeze and everyone here is to switch off by default, which is a weird solution if you actually need this feature, but these will be a gaming first headset for me, so my primary use case is gaming with the mic and sidetone is key for me as I’m a shouter. Will I have sound issues or are these included in the FW updates (that I might not even be able to download)?
  5. Might be off-topic for this thread, but does anyone have a headset stand they’d recommend that would work comfortably with these?

Hopefully this helps
  1. As Audeze has not yet officially released the firmware update to address the whoosh issue and manually enabled sidetone, the Penrose X currently has the latest version. I assume the firmware will be released prior to the Penrose X actually shipping and if that is the case, currently only Windows supports the AudezeHQ app for Penrose models. That said, Audeze stated that the Android version will be released "soon" with the macOS version to follow. As for whether or not an emulated Android OS can be used to update the headset firmware, that honestly depends on whether or not the android emulator can detect a USB connection to other devices via your Mac device itself. It would honestly be easier to just find a buddy with Windows at this point.
  2. You can charge them while using them. Keep in mind, unlike the Mobius, the Penrose does not actually transfer audio over USB and will still be using either 2.4GHz, Bluetooth, or AUX connections. The USB port is just there to charge, upload EQ settings, and update the firmware.
  3. Early in this thread, Audeze had stated that Penrose X would support connections to macOS devices. They haven't talked about it since however and never updated their website, so it may be a situation similar to unofficial PS5 support. Specs wise, there is no reason it shouldn't work over either 2.4GHz or Bluetooth.
  4. Sidetone being on causes a bit of additional noise. It basically adds a noticeable audible hiss. It's not very loud though.
  5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A09KCJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,359 of 7,191
Has anyone with the headset been able to try them with Nvidia Shield Pro? This will be something I’ll be trying them with once I receive mine (UK based),

Also, has one used the PS Penrose for Xbox Game Pass on PC and been able to speak with parties on there?
I’m not fussed about using them too much for game pass or the Nvidia shield but it would be a beautiful addition if these work out of the box with it

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #2,362 of 7,191
I have an X on preorder here in the UK. I was hoping this headset would be a good solution for Discord via Bluetooth on my phone or laptop while using the X Series X. This is a critical use case for me; with no optical out on the XSX my previous hardware solution for this no longer works.

However, if the mic via Bluetooth and Discord is bad, or the volume of wireless vs Bluetooth cannot be adjusted then this could be a deal breaker.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,364 of 7,191
For a Mac, you can try installing windows via bootcamp.

I really don't want to install Windows on my work MacBook. Hopefully, the Mac app will be out before I get them. When I bought these the literature said I could update with the Mac app, but should probably have mentioned that the app doesn't actually exist yet and I would have to potentially wait for it.

That being said, the Penrose X isn't even mentioned as being compatible with Mac, only the Penrose so hopefully that's just a licensing thing.

Hopefully this helps
  1. As Audeze has not yet officially released the firmware update to address the whoosh issue and manually enabled sidetone, the Penrose X currently has the latest version. I assume the firmware will be released prior to the Penrose X actually shipping and if that is the case, currently only Windows supports the AudezeHQ app for Penrose models. That said, Audeze stated that the Android version will be released "soon" with the macOS version to follow. As for whether or not an emulated Android OS can be used to update the headset firmware, that honestly depends on whether or not the android emulator can detect a USB connection to other devices via your Mac device itself. It would honestly be easier to just find a buddy with Windows at this point.
  2. You can charge them while using them. Keep in mind, unlike the Mobius, the Penrose does not actually transfer audio over USB and will still be using either 2.4GHz, Bluetooth, or AUX connections. The USB port is just there to charge, upload EQ settings, and update the firmware.
  3. Early in this thread, Audeze had stated that Penrose X would support connections to macOS devices. They haven't talked about it since however and never updated their website, so it may be a situation similar to unofficial PS5 support. Specs wise, there is no reason it shouldn't work over either 2.4GHz or Bluetooth.
  4. Sidetone being on causes a bit of additional noise. It basically adds a noticeable audible hiss. It's not very loud though.
  5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A09KCJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the reply.
  1. We're in a national lockdown here in the U.K. so even if I knew someone with a Windows laptop, I wouldn't be allowed to go to their house and do this. Madness, huh? I'll just hold out hope that it'll be here in a couple of weeks or live with the FW installed on them until the app is ready. Fortunately, sidetone is on by default which is what I wanted anyway.
  2. (and 3) This is cool. I'm wanting wireless audio (from reading here, this is how to get the best sound), but wanted to check I could charge via USB at the same time as using them. I assume if I use the dongle in my mac I can play music/listen to films over wireless rather than BT to get the better sound?
  3. (this is now 4, I didn't think about this numbering) -- I'm fine with that. I'm not an audiophile and I have slight tinnitus anyway so I doubt I'll notice it. It's mainly for gaming and keeping the wife happy with me not screaming in my office which is next to the bedroom where she insists on watching TV.
Thanks for the help, and to the others who replied to me.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,366 of 7,191
Big Update.

Audeze reached out to me and offered to RMA my headphones and have me come down to their HQ to see if they could address my issues with Penrose. I met with the CEO, Sankar, for about an hour and a half and we went over every issue and whether it was something they were able to fix. In fact, they flashed my headphones with a new beta firmware that resolved a number of issues which I have outlined below. My big takeaway from the meeting was that Audeze is committed to treating Penrose as a platform to continually improve and not a ship it and ditch it product.

I updated my original reddit thread that sparked off some of the discussion here, and you can check our some of the updates there.

But I also want to point out a few things here as well.
  • The wind/warble/interference/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, at low listening volumes has been identified and can be fixed. Apparently it was an issue with the automatic gain control. With the new beta firmware that I am running on the Penrose this sound is completely gone and the headphones sound amazing at all volume levels.
  • The noise floor also seems lower now, and its also lower when the voice comes on and tells you which mode the headphones are in and when they "connect" to a source.
  • The volume can now be changed using the slider in Windows on PC in the beta firmware. This was originally a design decision, as Audeze wanted to just pipe the line-level source straight to the headphones and amp it there to create a consistent user experience. With the beta firmware you can now adjust it in windows, but Audeze did advise that it is best for battery and sound to leave the line level at 100 in windows.
  • The USB connection/range issues I was having must have been an issue with the USB port or the location of the USB port on my machine. We weren't able to replicate the issue on the Audeze test bench, and I had no connection issues while I was listening to my headphones on the Audeze test bench.
  • As for "chat/game mix" on PC, the conversation on this point was long (and technical) but ultimately my understanding on this point is that it is a byproduct of a design decision and the chipsets on the market. Audeze wanted to make headphones that can work across multiple platforms, not just PC, so it seems this feature is not possible at this point with the way Penrose was designed to mix audio.
  • For battery indicator, I believe for PC that Audeze is looking into adding a GUI indicator somewhere. On IOS, at least, the battery level is reflected over Bluetooth.
  • For the mic, make sure you have the microphone rotated the correct way (you can take the pop filter off to make sure, its easily removable). Audeze explained to me that they designed the mic to have lower levels from certain directions (in order to deal with things like keyboard noise). The way I had it rotated was overly muffling my voice. They also explained that there are some limitations inherent in low latency wireless sound technology that make it difficult/impossible to match the quality of a wired mic without compromising listening quality.
  • As for the EQ, there is automatic gain control to prevent clipping when you adjust the levels. While it does lower the sound, the headphones now allow you to raise the overall volume after EQ and it does reflect the newly adjusted levels.
Overall, I don't think you would ever see this kind of dedication to improvement and community engagement from a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,367 of 7,191
I really don't want to install Windows on my work MacBook. Hopefully, the Mac app will be out before I get them. When I bought these the literature said I could update with the Mac app, but should probably have mentioned that the app doesn't actually exist yet and I would have to potentially wait for it.

That being said, the Penrose X isn't even mentioned as being compatible with Mac, only the Penrose so hopefully that's just a licensing thing.

Thanks for the reply.
  1. We're in a national lockdown here in the U.K. so even if I knew someone with a Windows laptop, I wouldn't be allowed to go to their house and do this. Madness, huh? I'll just hold out hope that it'll be here in a couple of weeks or live with the FW installed on them until the app is ready. Fortunately, sidetone is on by default which is what I wanted anyway.
  2. (and 3) This is cool. I'm wanting wireless audio (from reading here, this is how to get the best sound), but wanted to check I could charge via USB at the same time as using them. I assume if I use the dongle in my mac I can play music/listen to films over wireless rather than BT to get the better sound?
  3. (this is now 4, I didn't think about this numbering) -- I'm fine with that. I'm not an audiophile and I have slight tinnitus anyway so I doubt I'll notice it. It's mainly for gaming and keeping the wife happy with me not screaming in my office which is next to the bedroom where she insists on watching TV.
Thanks for the help, and to the others who replied to me.

2.4GHz wireless via dongle will sound better than BT, yes. It really comes down to use case honestly. There are headsets with currently more developed or mature software and wireless tech, but they are noticeably inferior in sound quality. What you really need to ask yourself is this; how important is high fidelity sound to me? If it's important or a priority, Penrose is for you. If you are content with how gaming headsets usually sound, there are cheaper alternatives available. For me, I prioritize sound and lossless wireless. I don't care about chat at all. As such, Penrose is fantastic for me.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,368 of 7,191
Big Update.

Audeze reached out to me and offered to RMA my headphones and have me come down to their HQ to see if they could address my issues with Penrose. I met with the CEO, Sankar, for about an hour and a half and we went over every issue and whether it was something they were able to fix. In fact, they flashed my headphones with a new beta firmware that resolved a number of issues which I have outlined below. My big takeaway from the meeting was that Audeze is committed to treating Penrose as a platform to continually improve and not a ship it and ditch it product.

I updated my original reddit thread that sparked off some of the discussion here, and you can check our some of the updates there.

But I also want to point out a few things here as well.
  • The wind/warble/interference/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, at low listening volumes has been identified and can be fixed. Apparently it was an issue with the automatic gain control. With the new beta firmware that I am running on the Penrose this sound is completely gone and the headphones sound amazing at all volume levels.
  • The noise floor also seems lower now, and its also lower when the voice comes on and tells you which mode the headphones are in and when they "connect" to a source.
  • The volume can now be changed using the slider in Windows on PC in the beta firmware. This was originally a design decision, as Audeze wanted to just pipe the line level source straight to the headphones and amp it there to create a consistent user experience. With the beta firmware you can now adjust it in windows, but Audeze did advise that it is best for battery and sound to leave the line level at 100 in windows.
  • The USB connection/range issues I was having must have been an issue with the USB port or the location of the USB port on my machine. We weren't able to replicate the issue on the Audeze test bench, and I had not connection issues while I was listening to my headphones on the Audeze test bench.
  • As for "chat/game mix" on PC, the conversation on this point was long (and technical) but ultimately my understanding on this point is that it is a byproduct of a design decision and the chipsets on the market. Audeze wanted to make headphones that can work across multiple platforms, not just PC, so it seems this feature is not possible at this point with the way Penrose was designed to mix audio.
  • For battery indicator, I believe for PC that Audeze is looking into adding a GUI indicator somewhere. On IOS, at least, the battery level is reflected over Bluetooth.
  • For the mic, make sure you have the microphone rotated the correct way (you can take the pop filter off to make sure, its easily removable). Audeze explained to me that they designed the mic to have lower levels from certain directions (in order to deal with things like keyboard noise). The way I had it rotated was overly muffling my voice. They also explained that there are some limitations inherent in low latency wireless sound technology that make it difficult/impossible to match the quality of a wired mic without compromising listening quality.
  • As for the EQ, there is automatic gain control to prevent clipping when you adjust the levels. While it does lower the sound, the headphones now allow you to raise the overall volume after EQ and it does reflect the newly adjusted levels.
Overall, I don't think you would ever see this kind of dedication to improvement and community engagement from a different manufacturer.
Oh wow, that's outstanding, really.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,369 of 7,191
Isn't it called 'run a head'? Would it be possible using that program on a modded NES or SNES mini to get rid of all of the additional inherent rom latency?

Nope there's not enough power there. It takes a fair bit of CPU power since it's essentially calculating all of the possible outcomes 2 frames ahead of time and choosing the correct one based on the input received.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,370 of 7,191

Really appreciate your updated response as it cements what MLE and I as well as a few others have said throughout the thread; Audeze is a good company and will stand behind their products. They are not your typical Kickstarter or GoFundMe type company ran out of their mom's basement or garage. They are not con artists wanting to cash in and run away with your money. They have over a decade reputation of producing great, audiophile products. Gaming, especially wireless gaming is very much new to them so some growing pains are expected as they find out which design decision worked and which didn't. With the Mobius for example, they hunkered down and fixed issues after issues until the current offering is night and day difference from launch.

For any haters still out there, let me ask you this; would you expect companies like Logitech or SteelSeries to work with owners on Head-Fi or invite them to their HQ for personal testing and chats with company executives? Not unless you were the likes of Shroud, Ninja, or DrDisrespect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back