Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,342 of 7,191
I'm actually much MUCH more of a videophile than audiophile and can talk about display stuff for ages, lol. I still have a beloved last gen Panasonic plasma in another room. RIP plasma.

The input lag even at a sporadic 120hz is still much better than 60hz, so I wouldn't worry about that, especially with VRR, which the PS5 will support eventually. It'll be closer to the lower input lag range. I believe the C9 was around 7ms with VRR regardless of fluctuating fps.

We're getting off topic, lol.

Our primary tv is a zt60 :)

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #2,344 of 7,191
Got a shipping notice from UPS, despite the original shipping method selected being Fedex. I hope my package doesn't get held hostage for a week like UPS likes to do for everything coming from the US.

At the very least it was Worldwide Saver, so just a flat $10 brokerage fee to Canada plus applicable taxes. If it was regular UPS ground I would have refused the package. Still would have preferred Fedex to save that stupid brokerage fee though.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,347 of 7,191
Have all overseas orders now been sent to various distributors?

My distributor says they plan to ship next week. It’s really starting to drag now, especially with all of these mixed reviews. I’d like to see what these are like for myself.

I'd like to know as well, I see that people who ordered Penrose direct in early November have received shipping notifications which is a bit frustrating to hear when I've ordered in September from an AU distributor.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,348 of 7,191
Anyone compared the penrose to something like the sony xm3/4 in terms of listening to music off a phone or similar?
I had the new Sony's and returned them because I was trying to use them on both my computer and phone. The multiple connect was bluetooth only. Meaning I took a huge quality hit on both sources when connecting that way. The sound was pretty great but I couldn't overlook that it wasn't doing what I wanted.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,349 of 7,191
I'd like to know as well, I see that people who ordered Penrose direct in early November have received shipping notifications which is a bit frustrating to hear when I've ordered in September from an AU distributor.

Andrew@Audeze (Audeze Customer Support Center) Nov 30, 2020, 3:26 AM PST

Thanks for your email. Penrose (PS) has officially started shipping to our international distributors as of 11/25. The exact ship date to each distributor is unknown at this time but should be very soon after we have started the process. I hope this helps!

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,351 of 7,191
I was hoping to receive my order this week, but according to hifiheadphones.co.uk it will be next week.:disappointed_relieved:

I think that's fair, given that Audeze shipped mid-late last week, accounting for 3-5 business days INTL shipping, then Hifiheadphones checkingthe stock in, turning orders around again, plus if you're in Portugal, could be a few more days added there.

We're in the endgame now at least!

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #2,352 of 7,191
First-time poster, I just signed up to ask some questions that I couldn’t find an answer to. Sorry if these have been asked before. I am in the UK have have the Penrose X on pre-order so I don’t expect to get these before Christmas. If I do, I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but anticipating a January delivery.

My questions, given my expectations, are:

1. As a MacBook/iPhone user with an Xbox Series X, I assume I’m at the mercy of Audeze working on and then releasing a Mac app before I can update the firmware. Is there no way to download the firmware and update via a web app like other companies? Failing this, could I run the Android app in an emulator on my mac and update this way?
  2. Can I charge these while using them? I sit at a desk gaming/working so the wireless aspect is a bonus but not integral to my purchase decision. I’m happy to sit at my desk wired in charging while using them at the same time if that’s possible. not having a battery indicator is not ideal, as I'll be using these for work as well as gaming so if I need to hop on a call I don't want them to suddenly die on me mid-conversation.
  3. I use a MacBook for work and Xbox Series X for gaming. I don’t think I’ve seen anything official or unofficial, but I’m assuming these will work over BT with my MacBook, right? What would be the best way to use these to get the best sound with my MacBook if I'm watching a film? Assuming via the wireless dongle if I just remove that from the Xbox when I’m not gaming and plug it into my MacBook? They’re right next to each other so moving from one to the other is no bother for me.
  4. I’m actually looking forward to having sidetone again, my main headphones broke and so I’m using some cheap Turtle Beach to get me through the winter until the Penrose X is delivered. Just how bad are the sidetone issues? All I’ve heard from Audeze and everyone here is to switch off by default, which is a weird solution if you actually need this feature, but these will be a gaming first headset for me, so my primary use case is gaming with the mic and sidetone is key for me as I’m a shouter. Will I have sound issues or are these included in the FW updates (that I might not even be able to download)?
  5. Might be off-topic for this thread, but does anyone have a headset stand they’d recommend that would work comfortably with these?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Anyone able to chime in on any of these questions, please?

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,353 of 7,191
I think that's fair, given that Audeze shipped mid-late last week, accounting for 3-5 business days INTL shipping, then Hifiheadphones checkingthe stock in, turning orders around again, plus if you're in Portugal, could be a few more days added there.

We're in the endgame now at least!
Yep, and at least, it's less likely that I'll experience the woosh sound.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,354 of 7,191
Anyone able to chime in on any of these questions, please?

I have a few answers I can try!

1. To my knowledge no, you need the application, and so you’ll be waiting for the Mac or Android update. I would contact Audeze directly though. It’s possible they have a different answer or way to help.

2. Yes, you can charge while using them.

3. You should be able to connect your headset to your XSX through USB wireless and Mac via Bluetooth. I’m doing that currently with my Penrose and PS5/iPhone, and the simultaneous audio is my favorite feature of the headset.

On 4 and 5, I don’t really have any input, as I’m not using sidetone at all and don’t use a headphone stand.

On a personal note, I’m 4 hours into a work day and this is certainly not all-day gear. And sorry to beat a horse but the whoosh issue is constantly present in my work calls and podcast, so seems to be an issue with low quality audio? It’s honestly making today’s test miserable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back