Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #2,326 of 7,191
Does the Penrose also have a wired connection? And do they leak a lot of sound? My DT770's are closed so they barely leak anything.

Would be nice if i could used these with a wired connection with my PSVR and the Oculus Quest 2 which i might snag some time next year.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #2,327 of 7,191
Can confirm it works perfectly fine with the switch docked

Awesome! But would that be with the Penrose X or Penrose Blue? Have you noticed any drop outs? What i'm wondering is if i would have to keep switching the USB Dongle from my Switch to my PS4 Pro(or soon to be PS5) everytime i want to play one or the other.
Couldn't i just get a second dongle? I might even use them with my TV's USB port for streaming, so that would mean 3.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,328 of 7,191
Does the Penrose also have a wired connection? And do they leak a lot of sound? My DT770's are closed so they barely leak anything.

Would be nice if i could used these with a wired connection with my PSVR and the Oculus Quest 2 which i might snag some time next year.

I haven't bothered to try to test sound leakage from the outside perspective, but when wearing the headphones they block out way more noise than the DT770's so I would assume it's similar in the opposite direction.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,329 of 7,191
So far after owning these for a couple days, my main complaints are the wooshing sound whenever audio is playing, the subpar wireless mic in discord, and the top headband being pretty uncomfortable

If the wooshing sound isnt fixed by the end of the week, these are most likely going back to Audeze
Got mine two days ago. I'm noticing the same thing with the whooshing sound. Hopefully it can be fixed via firmware. It's distracting at times.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,330 of 7,191
I haven't bothered to try to test sound leakage from the outside perspective, but when wearing the headphones they block out way more noise than the DT770's so I would assume it's similar in the opposite direction.
Gotchya. I'm just trying to check off the boxes here. :p
Can you use the Penrose's wired as well? I'd like to use them with my PSVR, cable would need to be pretty short too.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #2,331 of 7,191
I can't speak for audio lag, but for video game latency, i'm extremely sensitive. I've done numerous comparisons between my Older CRT which has input lag in the micro seconds, to even a 16ms HDTV. and there was clearly a difference in comparison to gaming on a CRT. On a CRT, you feel like you're 'one' with the controller as hilarious as it sounds. things are so ridiculously on the dime and responsive,, quick and snappy. the 16ms HDTV? felt fine, i guess, sort of?...There was still a bit of a delay with jumping in platformers for example, and what was even more noticeable was how motion pointer controls felt. Godly on a CRT, but just decent to good on the 16ms HDTV.

Again, i dont know how that translates to audio. Mind you, i've had audio delays when sending an HDMI video signal to my receiver and straight to an HDTV. this delay was never noticeable on my older Sony wega CRT. these days i just send an audio signal to my receiver and send the video signal to my TV to by pass any additional picture processing and latency. But again, i'd love to do away with the receiver all together. i'm in an appartment, so a surround sound speaker set up is out of the question as well as a soundbar surround sound system. I'm rolling with with a pair of DT770's plus my receiver, or just using the TV speakers for casual watching.

You’re likely noticing input lag inherent to the game rather the display itself.

Even on a CRT input lag was not zero. SNES games, for example, have 2 frames (32 ms) of input lag. Interestingly, it’s actually possible to get faster than SNES on CRT response times with a fast display and an emulator with look ahead to render frames ahead of time and bypass the SNES 2 frame buffer. But with a standard emulator with no look ahead, you’re usually looking at 3-4 frames of input lag. Add an extra frame of input lag from your display and you’ll definitely notice it since you’re in the 5-6 frame range, vs just 2 on a CRT.

Modern games are typically around the 60-120ms range. That’s getting better with the newest gen where we’re seeing a reduction in input lag (e.g Gears 5 is 80ms on X1X and 50ms on XSX).

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #2,332 of 7,191
You’re likely noticing input lag inherent to the game rather the display itself.

Even on a CRT input lag was not zero. SNES games, for example, have 2 frames (32 ms) of input lag. Interestingly, it’s actually possible to get faster than SNES on CRT response times with a fast display and an emulator with look ahead to render frames ahead of time and bypass the SNES 2 frame buffer. But with a standard emulator with no look ahead, you’re usually looking at 3-4 frames of input lag. Add an extra frame of input lag from your display and you’ll definitely notice it since you’re in the 5-6 frame range, vs just 2 on a CRT.

Modern games are typically around the 60-120ms range. That’s getting better with the newest gen where we’re seeing a reduction in input lag (e.g Gears 5 is 80ms on X1X and 50ms on XSX).

Isn't it called 'run a head'? Would it be possible using that program on a modded NES or SNES mini to get rid of all of the additional inherent rom latency?

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #2,333 of 7,191
Here is a sample of the Discord mic performance from the test I did with another user on here (I mentioned to him I would record our test, but then I thought my OBS wasn't working so I said never mind, but later I found it did successfully record. Anyway I hope he's cool with me sharing a bit of the audio!)

If you hear any background noise it's my TV.

Sample: https://streamable.com/sx3fsy

I think this sounds good and compared to what I hear from my friends' Astros, HyperXs, Arctics etc... I'd even say it sounds better. Maybe I'm nuts though.
Was that wireless or bluetooth?

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #2,334 of 7,191
Here is a sample of the Discord mic performance from the test I did with another user on here (I mentioned to him I would record our test, but then I thought my OBS wasn't working so I said never mind, but later I found it did successfully record. Anyway I hope he's cool with me sharing a bit of the audio!)

If you hear any background noise it's my TV.

Sample: https://streamable.com/sx3fsy

I think this sounds good and compared to what I hear from my friends' Astros, HyperXs, Arctics etc... I'd even say it sounds better. Maybe I'm nuts though.
Oh man, that sounds bad.

However, I believe it's discord messing up the quality.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #2,335 of 7,191
To those who have received the Penrose and are familiar with the Mobius, has there been any improvement or reinforcement to the hinge area of the headset? I've seen posts that the Mobius tends to crack at this weak point and wondering if its a risk with Penrose.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #2,337 of 7,191
Frankly I'm not taking an awful lot of interest in a review that states the 7p sound 'great'. I tried the Steelseries 9 (use the same drivers I believe) and thought they sounded pretty average at best tbh. I guess we all have different views on sound quality - can't wait to hear them myself to find out how much better than the SS they are :)

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #2,340 of 7,191
Semi-generic question:

How does the Penrose sound quality compare to plugging in a set of cans to the PS5 controller? In general I'm assuming there's some processing/compression going on when plugging into a controller so no matter how "good" of headphones you're using, I'm wondering how that compares to something like the Penrose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back