Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,311 of 7,191
If you think you can tell a 6ms difference of audio response, you're superhuman. That's all I'll say.

As for the Switch, if you can tell there, you're also superhuman.

I too have a C9. You wanna talk about ACTUAL issues with firmware updates, the C9 is far, far worse.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,312 of 7,191
Well my LG C9 has 13.5ms of input lag, i have no idea if that would actually sync up well with the 16-17ms audio delay of the Penroses. On paper you'd think, vs 7ms. :p
But maybe that's not how it works. Also, i've asked this before but i never got a solid answer but to make the Penrose's compatible with the nintendo switch supposedly you need a USB-C adapter. Would that adapter add any additional latency or would it be latency free?

I can also add that the dongle is indeed USB-A, so to attach to a handheld Switch you'll need an adapter, but if you're docked you can just plug straight into the dock.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,313 of 7,191
If you think you can tell a 6ms difference of audio response, you're superhuman. That's all I'll say.

I too have a C9. You wanna talk about ACTUAL issues with firmware updates, the C9 is far, far worse.
Do you think you will be able to take a pic of the headset with the pillow in between it? And really not wide enough to affect it? Interesting and good to know.

Can’t wait till I get my penrose x finally do you know when they might ship by any chance?. Last I read was they passed certification. Is it still the same?

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #2,314 of 7,191

I can't speak for audio lag, but for video game latency, i'm extremely sensitive. I've done numerous comparisons between my Older CRT which has input lag in the micro seconds, to even a 16ms HDTV. and there was clearly a difference in comparison to gaming on a CRT. On a CRT, you feel like you're 'one' with the controller as hilarious as it sounds. things are so ridiculously on the dime and responsive,, quick and snappy. the 16ms HDTV? felt fine, i guess, sort of?...There was still a bit of a delay with jumping in platformers for example, and what was even more noticeable was how motion pointer controls felt. Godly on a CRT, but just decent to good on the 16ms HDTV.

Again, i dont know how that translates to audio. Mind you, i've had audio delays when sending an HDMI video signal to my receiver and straight to an HDTV. this delay was never noticeable on my older Sony wega CRT. these days i just send an audio signal to my receiver and send the video signal to my TV to by pass any additional picture processing and latency. But again, i'd love to do away with the receiver all together. i'm in an appartment, so a surround sound speaker set up is out of the question as well as a soundbar surround sound system. I'm rolling with with a pair of DT770's plus my receiver, or just using the TV speakers for casual watching.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,315 of 7,191
Do you think you will be able to take a pic of the headset with the pillow in between it? And really not wide enough to affect it? Interesting and good to know.

Can’t wait till I get my penrose x finally do you know when they might ship by any chance?. Last I read was they passed certification. Is it still the same?
IMG_1502.jpg

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,316 of 7,191
Input lag and audio lag are quite different. I can absolutely tell a difference in response between my TV in 120hz mode and 60hz mode. The difference is within 10ms as well. However, we don't process audio the same. Nor does the TV. 1 frame of audio is absolutely imperceptible.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #2,317 of 7,191
I can also add that the dongle is indeed USB-A, so to attach to a handheld Switch you'll need an adapter, but if you're docked you can just plug straight into the dock.

I only use the Switch Docked, which uses USB-A. I thought somebody said there was still a compatibility issue with the switch and the penrose? which is where an adapter comes in to play. But if it's USB-A, then why in the heck would an adapter be needed?

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,318 of 7,191
I only use the Switch Docked, which uses USB-A. I thought somebody said there was still a compatibility issue with the switch and the penrose? which is where an adapter comes in to play. But if it's USB-A, then why in the heck would an adapter be needed?

The adapter was for undocked Switch play... since how are you going to attach the usb dongle to the undocked Switch? Lol. That's where the type c to usb A adapter comes in.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2,319 of 7,191
Input lag and audio lag are quite different. I can absolutely tell a difference in response between my TV in 120hz mode and 60hz mode. The difference is within 10ms as well. However, we don't process audio the same. Nor does the TV. 1 frame of audio is absolutely imperceptible.

Gotchya! Yeah, if only the PS5 ran most of it's games in 120fps...Not only does it double 60fps which is i hear is nearly life like to the point where going back to even 60fps can be a hurdle, but it also reduces motion blur on an OLED and of course drops input lag on the the LG C9 to about 7ms. which is half the lag compared to playing games in 60hz. 120fps is basically a 3 in one upgrade. :p

But what if it's an unstable 120fps? lets say a game trickles down to 100fps, does that mean that the input lag goes back to 13.5ms on the C9 or is it still 7ms?

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #2,321 of 7,191
Gotchya! Yeah, if only the PS5 ran most of it's games in 120fps...Not only does it double 60fps which is i hear is nearly life like to the point where going back to even 60fps can be a hurdle, but it also reduces motion blur on an OLED and of course drops input lag on the the LG C9 to about 7ms. which is half the lag compared to playing games in 60hz. 120fps is basically a 3 in one upgrade. :p

But what if it's an unstable 120fps? lets say a game trickles down to 100fps, does that mean that the input lag goes back to 13.5ms on the C9 or is it still 7ms?

I'm actually much MUCH more of a videophile than audiophile and can talk about display stuff for ages, lol. I still have a beloved last gen Panasonic plasma in another room. RIP plasma.

The input lag even at a sporadic 120hz is still much better than 60hz, so I wouldn't worry about that, especially with VRR, which the PS5 will support eventually. It'll be closer to the lower input lag range. I believe the C9 was around 7ms with VRR regardless of fluctuating fps.

We're getting off topic, lol.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #2,324 of 7,191
Here is a sample of the Discord mic performance from the test I did with another user on here (I mentioned to him I would record our test, but then I thought my OBS wasn't working so I said never mind, but later I found it did successfully record. Anyway I hope he's cool with me sharing a bit of the audio!)

If you hear any background noise it's my TV.

Sample: https://streamable.com/sx3fsy

I think this sounds good and compared to what I hear from my friends' Astros, HyperXs, Arctics etc... I'd even say it sounds better. Maybe I'm nuts though.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,325 of 7,191
I'm actually much MUCH more of a videophile than audiophile and can talk about display stuff for ages, lol. I still have a beloved last gen Panasonic plasma in another room. RIP plasma.

The input lag even at a sporadic 120hz is still much better than 60hz, so I wouldn't worry about that, especially with VRR, which the PS5 will support eventually. It'll be closer to the lower input lag range. I believe the C9 was around 7ms with VRR regardless of fluctuating fps.

We're getting off topic, lol.

Doesn't VRR on the C9 increase input lag and raise black levels on the C9?

And i gotta say, as a big fan of CRT's, and plasma's to a lesser extent the LG C9 is both a downgrade and an upgrade. it's a mixed bag and is definitely not worth paying full price for. I ended up buying a mint floor display model and saved hundreds. no issues, no burn in etc. Also, i would _never_ let an LCD/LED/QLED, in my living room. even the top tier qled's with a 9ms motion response time have nasty motion smearing, along with the irritating compromises of local dimming such as blooming, and the dimming of white text and smaller white objects on black back grounds etc. Then there's the typical narrow viewing angles and of course inferior black levels. They're capable of of good color though, and are rocking true RGB color unlike OLED.....

While the C9 delivers a lot less motion blur than a good QLED, along with perfect black levels, amazing brightness & White whites(Vs Plasma),and wide viewing angles it stumbles with it's lower color volume, WRGB Color, Auto brightness limiting and Black crush. And 'like' QLED it only has a measly 300 lines of motion resolution. hell, an average plasma could deliver 700 lines with less blur, while others like the VT25, GT25 and panasonics latest and greatest VT60 did 1080 lines....All of the above problems never even existed on something like a 1987 Sony SD CRT. CRT is the only the tv tech with a stable picture. Zero motion blur, 480 lines of motion resolution that matches the native resolution of the TV itself, no ABL, No input lag, No black crush, great color and great blacks, the latter two depending on the model of course.

And sure, you can turn on BFI and gain 1080 lines with something like a 2020 Panasonic OLED, but then brightness takes a big hit and the input lag increases. Might be doable in a dark room for movies though if you favor 100 nits. Also, the C9's color out of the box was atrocious.....there was so much green in the picture, skin tones looked too yellow, yellows were too green and lacked warmth, picture was too cool and colors were desaturated. thankfully most of this can be corrected with color management and reducing 'High' GREEN in the white balance settings.

But yeah, I totally miss my 2003/4 Sony Wega trinitron 32" SDTV. :p....well, minus the funky silver bezel. the 27" models are perfect for Retro gaming hehe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back