Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2,296 of 7,191
I think comfort is not one if its strong suits, but people make it sounds like it's a torture device, which I can't agree with. It's passable at worst once you loosen the clamp. I have more of an issue with the top of the headband than I do the clamp.

It's not a headphone I'd wear all day. That I can agree on.

And yes, comfort is top priority for me too. I'm strict with headphones when it comes to that, which is why outside of review use, I don't use almost any headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #2,297 of 7,191
how much latency is there? I need a solid number and not an assumption solely based on 2.4GHz technology.
Wired is 7ms for example. And probably a stupid question, but can these also be used 'wired'? My Playstation VR and Oculus Quest 2 have an audio jack and are not compatible for wireless headphones. Unfortunately my DT770(250ohms) aren't loud enough when connected to the PSVR, that, and the long coiled wire completely gets in the way.
If I recall it's 16-17ms, which in gaming metrics is as much as 1 frame at 60fps. Certainly unnoticeable. You have to remember all the processing being done from everything else. Going from 7 to 17 for audio is certainly not something you'll EVER notice when all processing from input to action on screen is well above that.

Apt-X Low Latency on other Bluetooth devices is in the 40ms range, and it's still responsive, so be assured audio lag ain't an issue.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #2,298 of 7,191
I think comfort is not one if its strong suits, but people make it sounds like it's a torture device, which I can't agree with. It's passable at worst once you loosen the clamp. I have more of an issue with the top of the headband than I do the clamp.

It's not a headphone I'd wear all day. That I can agree on.

That's very fair. And I didn't want to sound like I was loading up negatives, but since you mention it, as I'm decreasing the clamp I'm becoming more and more aware of the top headband and ... well, solve one problem, get a new one. I'm going to give it a try through the workday tomorrow. While I'd love to wear it for 8 hours without issue, realistically, that's not how I work, so we'll see how comfort holds out in extended wear with whatever breaks I take.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #2,302 of 7,191
That's very fair. And I didn't want to sound like I was loading up negatives, but since you mention it, as I'm decreasing the clamp I'm becoming more and more aware of the top headband and ... well, solve one problem, get a new one. I'm going to give it a try through the workday tomorrow. While I'd love to wear it for 8 hours without issue, realistically, that's not how I work, so we'll see how comfort holds out in extended wear with whatever breaks I take.
Take note that I currently have a buzz cut where the headband is on my scalp. During my Mobius review I didn't, and had a bed of hair, and I didn't mention any real complaints with the headband. So if you have some hair, the headband may not be a factor worth considering.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #2,303 of 7,191
Take note that I currently have a buzz cut where the headband is on my scalp. During my Mobius review I didn't, and had a bed of hair, and I didn't mention any real complaints with the headband. So if you have some hair, the headband may not be a factor worth considering.

Beanies solve everything. They are like duct tape!
  • Ugly hair cut, wear a beanie!
  • Head is cold, wear a beanie!
  • More padding needed for headphones, wear a beanie!

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #2,304 of 7,191
I don't feel the width of that is enough to loosen clamp. You want the cups to separate with some force and distance so the plastic gives in a little.

You can detach the pads beforehand so you don't compress them while leaving the headphone stretched out over a pillow. I'll show the example tomorrow.
How do they detach is it easy to remove them?

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2,306 of 7,191
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2,307 of 7,191
So far after owning these for a couple days, my main complaints are the wooshing sound whenever audio is playing, the subpar wireless mic in discord, and the top headband being pretty uncomfortable

If the wooshing sound isnt fixed by the end of the week, these are most likely going back to Audeze

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,308 of 7,191
So far after owning these for a couple days, my main complaints are the wooshing sound whenever audio is playing, the subpar wireless mic in discord, and the top headband being pretty uncomfortable

If the wooshing sound isnt fixed by the end of the week, these are most likely going back to Audeze

If they are fixed after a week, are you going to buy them again?

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,309 of 7,191
The whoosh sound has been discussed to death for not even a week, and within that week, Audeze has stated they have a fixed being imminently released.

How about we give them at least a few days to get the issue resolved? How many more times are we going to discuss this when Audeze has already commited to a fix?

We know the issue exists. It's only been beaten to death over and over.

As far as wireless mic issue, that too has been addressed by Audeze, and all we can do is wait for the update to see.

So... are we going to continue talking about how this is an issue? We all know it is.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,310 of 7,191
If I recall it's 16-17ms, which in gaming metrics is as much as 1 frame at 60fps. Certainly unnoticeable. You have to remember all the processing being done from everything else. Going from 7 to 17 for audio is certainly not something you'll EVER notice when all processing from input to action on screen is well above that.

Apt-X Low Latency on other Bluetooth devices is in the 40ms range, and it's still responsive, so be assured audio lag ain't an issue.

Well my LG C9 has 13.5ms of input lag, i have no idea if that would actually sync up well with the 16-17ms audio delay of the Penroses. On paper you'd think, vs 7ms. :p
But maybe that's not how it works. Also, i've asked this before but i never got a solid answer but to make the Penrose's compatible with the nintendo switch supposedly you need a USB-C adapter. Would that adapter add any additional latency or would it be latency free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back