Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #2,131 of 7,191
Ok, I think finally hear the whoosh people are talking about at very low volumes. Almost like a noise gate gets opened up for a moment then gets closed again.

How do you guys even find things like this? I mean, I'd have to be playing at a personally, abnormally low volume to truly notice it. At moderate to high volumes, it's not noticeable to me. Fortunately, it's gonna be something of the past soon enough.

I hear it at all volume levels on the headphones. It’s mostly noticeable when no other sounds are happening (or during quieter moments) and then a single louder sound happens.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,132 of 7,191
Ok, I think finally hear the whoosh people are talking about at very low volumes. Almost like a noise gate gets opened up for a moment then gets closed again.

How do you guys even find things like this? I mean, I'd have to be playing at a personally, abnormally low volume to truly notice it. At moderate to high volumes, it's not noticeable to me. Fortunately, it's gonna be something of the past soon enough.

It's a possibility. I'll get in touch with them about it, though I'm waiting on measurements first, which I hear they'll be doing at some point.

Yes this is the whooshing noise defect exhibits on the headphone. As another poster mentioned, I can hear it at all volume levels as well, perhaps it’s easier to catch at low volume. I think it depends on the sensitivity of our hearing as everyone is different in terms of frequency range, sound separation and placement, etc. I read that many of the audiophiles in these forums can even distinguish the exact location of various instruments being played in an orchestra while listening ... I guess I’m still learning and might not have that talent after all lol

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,133 of 7,191
Yes this is the whooshing noise defect exhibits on the headphone. As another poster mentioned, I can hear it at all volume levels as well, perhaps it’s easier to catch at low volume. I think it depends on the sensitivity of our hearing as everyone is different in terms of frequency range, sound separation and placement, etc. I read that many of the audiophiles in these forums can even distinguish the exact location of various instruments being played in an orchestra while listening ... I guess I’m still learning and might not have that talent after all lol
It's practice. Keep trying and paying attention to those details. I suggest start with songs that you know a lot. Then try with different gear. :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #2,134 of 7,191
Whoosh aside, which it sounds like will be resolved, I’m struggling with the clamp. I had hoped for all-day comfort with this headset as a combo work/play set. After two days, 2-3 hours is all I can handle in a stretch, and that’s with the pillow trick in between and overnight. I’m finding these much less comfortable than my old set of B&W P7s.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,135 of 7,191
Whoosh aside, which it sounds like will be resolved, I’m struggling with the clamp. I had hoped for all-day comfort with this headset as a combo work/play set. After two days, 2-3 hours is all I can handle in a stretch, and that’s with the pillow trick in between and overnight. I’m finding these much less comfortable than my old set of B&W P7s.

That is going to be a killer for me, then

They are targeted at gaming
They should be extra comfortable for long sessions
Not for listening to an album and that's it

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #2,137 of 7,191
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,140 of 7,191
I like the headphones a lot but I have gripes. I have the Audeze Penrose (playstation version).

They sound great when you use them correctly. Wireless or Bluetooth. Pick one. If you go for both you may take a hit in audio quality and volume. I love being able to use bluetooth or wireless but using both at the same time can be weird. I find myself picking a side essentially. There are times when I've used both for good reason. That's actually why I got these. I wanted headphones that could do either one or both very well, these do everything I want. I just find myself picking one for extended use.

The controls on the headset have most of what you need. The button to cycle through the input methods should probably be a switch. I like that there's a light to tell you which input type you're using (Blue: Bluetooth, Green: Wireless, Teal: Both, Aux: ??? don't care). There's no ability to skip songs, and the pause/play is unreliable considering you have the ability to have multiple inputs. It's secondary honestly because the second you go to use an advanced feature like hybrid inputs the ability for that to work reliably goes out of the window no matter what.

They're comfortable enough for me. I had a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x that I replaced (not very premium). The Penrose sound better in my opinion. More comfortable for sure. I don't care that they don't fold. I felt that being able to fold the M50x would place wear on them for no reason. I barely used them for 2 years and gave them to my daughter after wearing the Penrose for a day. If I go back to wired it would have to be a really good pair of open eared headphones with a DAC.

My biggest gripe is that they turn themselves off after ~10mins of inactivity. This can be annoying as I frequently take breaks to read long articles or try new things on my computer and the headphones will turn themselves off between videos. I should put on music or something. I'm hoping that their software eventually allows us to adjust that to something more reasonable. Either that or I'll have to resort to something that plays a low noise or something to prevent them from turning themselves off.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,144 of 7,191
Capturewhat.JPG

Does this position mean it's off or on? I already fiddled with it so I forgot what the default position was.

It arrived this morning and I'm testing things out.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #2,145 of 7,191
Capturewhat.JPG

Does this position mean it's off or on? I already fiddled with it so I forgot what the default position was.

It arrived this morning and I'm testing things out.
It's on. I had to look this up and then play with it myself. It lets you hear your voice slightly when the mic is enabled. Helps prevent you from talking too loudly into the mic because you can hear your own voice. I disabled it because it adds a tiny bit of white noise (because it allows you to hear yourself). I think it was off by default. Neat. Good when gaming on voice chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back