Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,786 of 7,191
Will the sound stay the same with the gel filled earpads on the Penrose? No need to mess with the sliders or anything I hope?
I reviewed the Gel pads with the Mobius, and didn't find any meaningful difference in sound.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,787 of 7,191
Just an update, been playing warzone all day and the wind/whirl noise is unbearable. It’s actually happening over my game audio and over footsteps.

Do you have the game volume at low and headphone volume high? Since it's an active headset, one way to make noise worse is to have a low source volume with a high amplification. The best results will be with max source, minimum headphone volume.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,788 of 7,191
If you genuinely don't understand why that's a stupid take, I can't help you.

For a new poster, I find this tone against a major contributor to be tacky at the least. I’m a software developer, I get your point, but please make it in a courteous manner. :beerchug:

Some of us are not XBox gamers, never will be, and are glad we bought the Penrose and not the X and got it sooner rather than waiting for a certification we don’t need. I’m also not a fan of the green, so I also count it as a bonus I don’t have to spend more to replace the pads, or else stomach that color. 😅

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,789 of 7,191
Do you have the game volume at low and headphone volume high? Since it's an active headset, one way to make noise worse is to have a low source volume with a high amplification. The best results will be with max source, minimum headphone volume.

Correct, for the best noise floor performance, it is better to use a full scale digital signal at the console and control the volume at the headphone.

It could explain some of the feedback regarding this issue compared to what we experienced during our testing. Nevertheless, we are actively looking into this.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,790 of 7,191
For a new poster, I find this tone against a major contributor to be tacky at the least. I’m a software developer, I get your point, but please make it in a courteous manner. :beerchug:

Some of us are not XBox gamers, never will be, and are glad we bought the Penrose and not the X and got it sooner rather than waiting for a certification we don’t need. I’m also not a fan of the green, so I also count it as a bonus I don’t have to spend more to replace the pads, or else stomach that color. 😅
I have him blocked so I'm not responding to his part of the post, but out of the two colors, I certainly would take the blue over the green. Not that I personally care for either. I don't have strong feelings for or against the accents. They're merely console indicators to me, and don't offend me. I think headsets aren't much of a thing for me to show off visually, so as long as it's not some ungodly contraption, it's merely fine, lol. I'm also not someone who'd inundiate my PC setup with RGB either so, it's all ok. Function over form.

That being said, I do think the original blue Mobius tone is better than the Penrose blue. The highlighter yellow-ish green on the X is, eh.

Neither blue or green come anywhere near close to being colors I care for, either way. :disappointed_relieved: But I certainly wouldn't spend extra money to get a color I'd want, which in my case the ideal color is the grey one. Then again, I do have grey Cryo pads in the Mobius case. Lol.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,791 of 7,191
Just an update, been playing warzone all day and the wind/whirl noise is unbearable. It’s actually happening over my game audio and over footsteps.
Between this issue and a lot of others I’m reading about it might be time for a cancel. Anyone else canceled or canceling their order? Are they at a point where they prefer cancellations to returns? Let’s see how long it takes for audeze to answer some of these issues here and address these delays with a solution that is within their power. I understand that things can happen that are out of their control, but I don’t see things being done that are possible to make things right.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,792 of 7,191
I have him blocked so I'm not responding to his part of the post, but out of the two colors, I certainly would take the blue over the green. Not that I personally care for either. I don't have strong feelings for or against the accents. They're merely console indicators to me, and don't offend me. I think headsets aren't much of a thing for me to show off visually, so as long as it's not some ungodly contraption, it's merely fine, lol. I'm also not someone who'd inundiate my PC setup with RGB either so, it's all ok. Function over form.

That being said, I do think the original blue Mobius tone is better than the Penrose blue. The highlighter yellow-ish green on the X is, eh.

Neither blue or green come anywhere near close to being colors I care for, either way. :disappointed_relieved: But I certainly wouldn't spend extra money to get a color I'd want, which in my case the ideal color is the grey one. Then again, I do have grey Cryo pads in the Mobius case. Lol.

yeah, good points, and I’m not crazy about the bright blue on the Penrose, I do prefer to the green of the Penrose X, but I love them either way for the features and sound and frankly if they only came in one color and it was that poo green, I still would have bought them without hesitation as I just don’t care that much lol... but probably would have eventually bought boring neutral pads later, yet in the end I’m with you on form over function.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,793 of 7,191
Between this issue and a lot of others I’m reading about it might be time for a cancel. Anyone else canceled or canceling their order? Are they at a point where they prefer cancellations to returns? Let’s see how long it takes for audeze to answer some of these issues here and address these delays with a solution that is within their power. I understand that things can happen that are out of their control, but I don’t see things being done that are possible to make things right.
I personally think this is the vocal minority. You will always hear from people unhappy with something, whereas those who are happy are too busy enjoying their new toys rather than spend time on forums talking about them.

Also, Audeze has been known to fix noise floors, and a host of other problems with firmware updates. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun. The Mobius that was released compared to the Mobius of today are QUITE drastically different, especially on noise floor. The difference is quite staggering on that front. So yeah, patience.

This thing has been out for such a miniscule amount of time, people really need to give them a chance to FIX these things, instead of just writing them off outright.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,794 of 7,191
yeah, good points, and I’m not crazy about the bright blue on the Penrose, I do prefer to the green of the Penrose X, but I love them either way for the features and sound and frankly if they only came in one color and it was that poo green, I still would have bought them without hesitation as I just don’t care that much lol... but probably would have eventually bought boring neutral pads later, yet in the end I’m with you on form over function.
Man, I'm hiding the PS5 behind the TV. You wanna talk about ugly... :floatsmile:

There's no fixing that thing. I definitely would've preferred the Xbox approach of dark obelisk any day of the week.

I think it would've been interesting to see a white Penrose with black accents and slight blue micro details to better match the PS5. Stormtrooper Penrose.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #1,795 of 7,191
Man, I'm hiding the PS5 behind the TV. You wanna talk about ugly... :floatsmile:

There's no fixing that thing. I definitely would've preferred the Xbox approach of dark obelisk any day of the week.

I think it would've been interesting to see a white Penrose with black accents and slight blue micro details to better match the PS5. Stormtrooper Penrose.
Would have love that. Personally I have OCD in where I want/need my accessories to match my console. Every console as of the past decade have been plain black, which is super easy to deal with.

Sony just had to do a white console for some odd reason haha.

With that being said, I love the colorways of Arctis 7P/X. They match their respective consoles so well.

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #1,796 of 7,191

You're not wrong, I certainly could be more polite. And yet, it's frustrating to hear trusted members give bad advice. The conversation quickly steered from "there's no way Audeze would intentionally sabotage a product," to, "don't buy the Penrose X because Audeze might decide to intentionally sabotage the product."

As for MLE being a shill -- perhaps too strong of a word, but I would be extremely cautious of calling out a company for selling an inferior product at the same price when they're sending me free equipment.

The reasons I can see for buying the non-X variant are (1) you actually like the blue, (2) you hate the green and don't want to dish out $30 for charcoal pads, or (3) you're not willing to wait on the delayed Penrose X. And (3) won't be an option for much longer.

E\ And I have been making this argument as someone who doesn't own any consoles whatsoever. It's just the principle of getting a subset of features for the same price.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #1,798 of 7,191
I have game volume maxed on the PlayStation and I am very aware that cranking the headphones instead of PlayStation will create noise. Like another user mentioned, the noise is unpredictable. Sometimes it’s loud, sometimes it’s hiss, sometimes it’s whirly, it happens in both ears, seems a little louder on the right.

I apologize, but I am going to be honest here and I have to back track on my earlier initial impressions. I truly want to be fair, but being fair here means I need to be straight forward. I am actually very disappointed in this headset, especially considering the cost. I’ve owned astro A50s, Sony Gold, Sony Pulse, turtle beach, Steel Series Artics regular and Pro, and Sennhesier gsp something or others. In the 2 days I’ve had these, I’ve had a more frustrating experience than any of my time with those headsets. This whirling noise is driving me nuts. My friends have complained about the mic. My ears are super sore from the pressure of the headband. I can’t go to the kitchen to get a drink without this woman’s voice saying “connected...connected...” over and over while I’m out of range and I can’t figure out how to turn her off. When I want to turn sidetone off when switching to a single player game, I have to turn on my PC, connect it there, and then disconnect it and do it all over again when I want it in. When I try and do Bluetooth and wireless at the same time, the headset will pair with my phone - say connected - and then sometimes (at least 5 times so far) completely turn off and then I have to do it all over again. Aux with the Xbox is wayyy too noisy. But this could be a mix of headset and controller for Xbox. Though, my hardwired v-modas are not noisy when connected to the Xbox controller.

Sound wise they are “good” and honestly nothing more or less. I am not dissatisfied with the sound at all, but I’m not floored with its gaming experience. For music they are great. But for competitive gaming, I’m picking up footsteps and direction worse than my astros and even my pulse 3D. I was hoping for more space and directionality. I don’t think anyone will listen to these and be upset at the sound. But I’m in no way floored about the sound experience, everything feels too “close” if that makes sense. And yes, I’ve done 3D audio on and off.

Overall these are a good sounding pair of stereo music headphones with a below average mic, below average user experience, uncomfortable ergonomics and lots of random noise, such as hiss and whirl wind interference, and full of annoyances - such as loud prompt alerts and random disconnections. I don’t play beta tester for final release products, so I’m not going to wait around for firmware updates to fix issues that shouldn’t be there, no am I going to entertain comments like “they said they’ll update that soon”. I buy products for what they are now, not what they could possibly be tomorrow.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,799 of 7,191
Do you understand the core concept of crowdfunding type preorders? You pay for the thing at a discount, that gives them the money to get it made, and then you get the thing usually months or sometimes years after promised. I feel like the way preorders virtually always go should be common knowledge at this point...

To paraphrase Vonnegut,
What can a thoughtful man hope for preorders, given the experience of the past million preorders?
Nothing.

This product has never been stated to be a crowdfund though, had that been the case I suspect a lot of people, myself included, would have avoided it altogether until it was a fully realised retail product. Given that Audeze has been in the business for a while now, and they already have a gaming headset in the Mobius, which is essentially the basis for the Penrose, there's no reason for any of us to think this was a crowdfund.

That quotes a load of bull as well. Nine times out of ten, in my experience, preorders have been pretty damn simple. Commit to buy a product, receive on the stated date. If that date is changed, it's often well communicated, not this wishy-washy nonsense that Audeze is currently throwing around.

It's not a lot to ask for clarity on when to expect an item you've preordered and particularly one you're excited to receive, it's just poor service on the part of Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back