Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #1,771 of 7,191
Hmm, if theres one thing about the Penrose and Mobius, is that they're susceptible to head placement. Your head shape may also be a factor. I do know what you mean, though I have experienced it with other closed backs, not the Penrose. I think that's an issue that varies person to person, and headphone to headphone.

I do think the Penrose is decent, not excellent in noise isolation which may contribute to the feeling.

I have construction right outside the window of my office and I can't hear it at all out of my ear closest to the window but I can hear it perfectly clearly from my ear further away. I'll look into the fit and see if that changes anything, and if it doesn't, oh well it's not that big of a deal.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #1,772 of 7,191
It's a little frustrating to not even know when the Penrose X will ship. We keep hearing that Audeze is still waiting on approval from Microsoft but we've been hearing the same thing for a month now. There has to be a more concrete statement or timeline to go by. They've already charged the money. I'd really like to know when I'll receive the product...

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,773 of 7,191
It's a little frustrating to not even know when the Penrose X will ship. We keep hearing that Audeze is still waiting on approval from Microsoft but we've been hearing the same thing for a month now. There has to be a more concrete statement or timeline to go by. They've already charged the money. I'd really like to know when I'll receive the product...
The Audeze website currently says early December.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,774 of 7,191

It's out of their hands at this point, you can ask Microsoft if you want but I doubt they'd reply...

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,775 of 7,191
On the website, they have updated it to Penrose X is expected to ship in early December.

So that can mean they "begin" shipping next week or the week after depending on what they classify as "early December".

Also, based on how fast (or slow) the Penrose for Playstation are shipping, don't expect it until week of Christmas or even after if you ordered between August-November.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #1,778 of 7,191
I dont like the blue at all. I first put the carbon pads from my replacement mobius on, but got curious and tried gel filled copper pads i had on my mobius. This is the sound I became accustomed to! If you have the gel filled give em a try!
Will the sound stay the same with the gel filled earpads on the Penrose? No need to mess with the sliders or anything I hope?

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,779 of 7,191
It's out of their hands at this point, you can ask Microsoft if you want but I doubt they'd reply...
If they charge a customer and don’t have a clear cut date on shipping, it’s very anti-consumer. Charge the cards when the product ships then. Since they have charged, I’d like an answer when I can expect the product I paid for and not contact another company which I don’t have an order with.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,780 of 7,191
If they charge a customer and don’t have a clear cut date on shipping, it’s very anti-consumer. Charge the cards when the product ships then. Since they have charged, I’d like an answer when I can expect the product I paid for and not contact another company which I don’t have an order with.
Do you understand the core concept of crowdfunding type preorders? You pay for the thing at a discount, that gives them the money to get it made, and then you get the thing usually months or sometimes years after promised. I feel like the way preorders virtually always go should be common knowledge at this point...

To paraphrase Vonnegut,
What can a thoughtful man hope for preorders, given the experience of the past million preorders?
Nothing.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #1,781 of 7,191
If windows is dropping the device, it certainly points to USB power issue and not a range issue (it should not be a range issue at 2ft, line or sight or not) . With increased distance, the transmitter does require a little more power but at two feet it is still very close.

Bummer. Back of Mobo has LOS issues and disconnects at ~4ft, front panel and powered monitor ports have cycling issues until it eventually connects solidly. I ordered a USB extension cable to get better LOS on the back of the mobo.

There might be two things that improve this experience:
1) It sounds like you modulate the power to the radios based on distance. If you set max power while seeking, maybe try a lower power instead. This would explain my power cycling issues going away once I get a solid connection.
2) If the dongle could be kept alive as an audio device when the headphones are off, that would help. The device disappearing when I power off the headset causes several apps to lose all audio instead of switching to the new default device. It's also is a pain when disconnecting due to range that I have to manually set my device back to Penrose after reconnecting.

For those who are hearing the 'wind noise', are you connected to any other device simultaneously (BT for example), do you hear it when you stop the music vs quite passages in music? Are you using Penrose as the default device and if other applications are open that could potentially use the same device?

FWIW, I also hear it when completely disconnected from BT, dongle unplugged, etc. Left can only.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #1,782 of 7,191
I'm sure they had every intention of getting the headset out at the day they initially announced. They literally cannot give you a date because they do not know it themselves, it's in Microsofts hands. I hate to say this but you have every ability and justification to get a refund if you're unhappy with the delays.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,784 of 7,191
Just an update, been playing warzone all day and the wind/whirl noise is unbearable. It’s actually happening over my game audio and over footsteps.

I have noticed that the hiss/noise floor changes in intensity each time I cycle and reconnect the headset. The first time I used it, it was super loud and distracting, the next, fairly quiet and easily ignored, next a bit louder, next again almost dead quiet. The strange part is that for each "session" it remains at a constant level until I turn the headset off, disconnect the USB (or connect it to something else), wait a bit, reconnect it and turn it back on. No idea what causes this unless it's something during the connecting/handshaking process or, as another user conjectured, it is related to interference.
Fortunately, it has not returned to the super loud and distracting noise floor volume since that first time.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,785 of 7,191
Just an update, been playing warzone all day and the wind/whirl noise is unbearable. It’s actually happening over my game audio and over footsteps.
Interesting. can you hear that from both ears and in any connection type or just wireless?

My main game is also Warzone and the footsteps there is already horrible, I don't want another thing to make it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back