Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #1,531 of 7,191
Connecting only to USB, there is no easy way to change the Chat/Game mix on PS5. On the Xbox there is a defined set of commands that can be sent to accomplish this. If PS5 enables this feature, it would be quite easy for us to extend the functionality.

As we have mentioned earlier in the thread, we will implement the volume adjustment for PC/Mac shortly. We will also add a button combination to enable/disable side-tone and have side-tone off by default.

Thanks, it’s good to know it could be easily added if Sony allow it.

I’m looking forward to hearing what the Penrose sound like. Ive never heard a Planar Magnetic set of headphones only high end stuff I’ve owned is Shure SE846, they were really nice.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #1,532 of 7,191
Game/Chat mix has been adjustable separately for a long time on PS4, the headsets do it buy taking audio from optical for game and chat audio is pulled separately via usb. The headphones then can easily treat them as 2 separate audio sources so you can adjust separately. On the headset it is very convenient as there is controls on each ear cup for sound volume. Left side game, right side chat.

What I meant with the slider is you are always sacrificing game or chat. You can’t select a high volume for game and chat at the same time. sometimes I want both to be kinda high. 2 separate sliders for each would be easier to balance.

The Penrose audio method is all through usb so we are stuck with the less convenient ui, hopefully sony changes things so it can be adjusted and available on the Penrose in future like the Pulse headset.

Yea but they were referring to PS5 which doesn't have an optical out so this game/chat method doesn't work - unless of course we use workarounds with extractors or optical outputs of TVs for audio - which for the time being loses the 3d audio.

I'm guessing for now, the only headset capable of voice/chat mix on PS5 (without workarounds) is the Pulse 3d?

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #1,533 of 7,191
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #1,534 of 7,191
Cmon bro, like 80% of every PC is a Windows PC, don't you have any friends/family/work were you can borrow a PC real quick?

They should focus on getting updates out, rather than spending more time adding it for more OS:es

90% of the PCs in my industry are Macs. If it was to be Windows only, fine, advertise it as such, but it hasn't been, so expectations are set.
It's quite clear now why the firmware update had to be done by Audeze themselves instead of asking consumers to do it, as they knew that many consumers would not be able to do an update.
It's something you only hear if sound is muted. Basically any wireless set will have that to some degree. If you can't deal with that, wired is about the only solution. I'm sure the Penrose has some sound of you aren't playing audio as well.

I’ve had several wireless headsets, none them have a hiss or any detectable white noise with the exception of my active noise canceling ones, which is to be expected on those models.
Gaming wise my current Logitech G933s, past Turtle Beach PX30s and some Sony ones, all quiet when no audio is being fed.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #1,536 of 7,191
I use this song all the time myself for testing headphones and its great for that purpose. Bergsbotn 1 by Biosphere is also great for just testing left to right soundstage width.

That's a pretty cool track! Diana Krall's Devil May Care from Live in Paris is a good song I use for extensive testing, primarily for soundstage and instrument separation. Most of the songs I use for soundstage are live recordings of either jazz singers or piano concertos. For anyone wondering why, it's due to the following:
  • They have much less artificial sound happening and are a truer representation of live sound
  • With jazz singers and piano concertos, it's easier to identify a control to "map" out other sounds from there
To give you an example, in Devil May Care you start out with the piano front and center. You can hear the key span left and right. This lets you know how the microphone is oriented in relation to the piano. Low notes on the left, high notes on the right, so the mic is essentially facing the piano or sitting right above it. Then the percussion comes in behind the piano and then she joins in at the piano. After that, you can hear the bass a bit further to the left of her and the piano and the guitar to the right. At this point, can you visualize which instruments are closer? Farther? Are you able to clearly separate the positioning?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,537 of 7,191
I have Penrose X on pre-order, but am starting to wonder if I should consider a Philips X2HR/VModa Boompro combo for my Xbox Series X instead?
Has anyone here compared either Morbius or Penrose to such a combo please?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,539 of 7,191
Maker Mods on YouTube updated his review and the microphone sounds a lot better.

His wired mic test was actually worse than MadLustEnvy's and Audeze's samples for some reason.

Edit: Actually he clarified later in the video that the muffled wired sound was because he was recording into Reaper and later on, the clearer wired sound was because he was recording into OBS.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,541 of 7,191
His wired mic test was actually worse than MadLustEnvy's and Audeze's samples for some reason.

Edit: Actually he clarified later in the video that the muffled wired sound was because he was recording into Reaper and later on, the clearer wired sound was because he was recording into OBS.

This guy doesn't understand how the wired mode works and doesn't realize he is actually using wireless the whole time.

He says he can't test the 3.5 mm jack so all of his "wired" tests are using a USB-C cable. Penrose does not support audio over wired USB. When plugged in like this it will still use wireless for the audio; the USB cable is only used for power.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,543 of 7,191
This guy doesn't understand how the wired mode works and doesn't realize he is actually using wireless the whole time.

He says he can't test the 3.5 mm jack so all of his "wired" tests are using a USB-C cable. Penrose does not support audio over wired USB. When plugged in like this it will still use wireless for the audio; the USB cable is only used for power.

I just posted the same thing in the youtube comments, heh. Still it confirms that the microphone quality he records later in the video with OBS is wireless, and i am pretty happy with how that bit sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back