Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #1,456 of 7,191
The dangerous thing about adding a feature which allows you to shift bandwidth from the drivers to mic is that 90% of consumers are dummies and will RMA/return it due to poor sound quality.

As is the mic is passable but if someone accidently ticks that mic quality checkbox or uses whatever button combination to enable and is a doofus, it's a lot of headache for audeze. Most of the decisions companies make are to protect consumers from their own stupidity.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I personally purchased these with complete disregard for the mic and will literally never attach it but an option to sacrifice SQ for mic quality for those who need it would be nice.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,460 of 7,191
Yes, this would be a lovely firmware update if only I can actually update my headphones!
I don't have a Windows operating system and I would really like an ETA of when support for Android and Mac will come.
We are still working on the firmware and it takes time to test all the platforms. Dont have an ETA yet. Do you already have the unit ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 20, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #1,461 of 7,191
We are still working on the firmware and it takes time to test all the platforms. Dont have an ETA yet. Do you already have the unit ?
I should have it by next week if you guys deliver according to your shipping timeline.

I am just planning ahead so I can have a seamless first experience when I do get my Penrose and not scrambling around to find someone with a Windows operating PC so I can do basic adjustments/updates on my $300 headset.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,462 of 7,191
Not trying to be rude here, but why is this even still a question? The Mobius has been out for a while and latency drops from BT aside, beats out all wireless headsets in the same price range. The Penrose sounds the same as the Mobius from what I can recall, so by transitive property, you can extrapolate that the Penrose also beats out all wireless headsets in the same price range. Astro A50 probably comes the closest, but the Penrose noticeably beats it. As for console, don't know as the only console I own is a Dreamcast.
The Mobius and Penrose sounds nothing alike. Two completely different tonal characteristics. In sure you can tweak presets to make them sound similar, but Mobius default, and flat presets do not sound like the Penrose.

As for my last comment on people complaining about delays, or about rushing products out the door, that wasn't aimed at the shipping process comments. It was generalization on how general consumers can't make up their minds on whether they want products to be rushed out the door, or released when it's well and ready.

Knowing what I know, the best outcome for CONSUMERS is to ALWAYS wait until things are good and ready. Patience is a virtue. You rush companies to release as soon as possible, and you start having a lot of issues that could've been mitigated had it been in the oven a little longer. Of course, that's not always financially feasible, and sooner or later, things have to be out the door. It's a constant battle between releasing too soon, or losing too much money by waiting too long.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #1,464 of 7,191
Yes, this would be a lovely firmware update if only I can actually update my headphones!

I don't have a Windows operating system and I would really like an ETA of when support for Android and Mac will come.

Cmon bro, like 80% of every PC is a Windows PC, don't you have any friends/family/work were you can borrow a PC real quick?

They should focus on getting updates out, rather than spending more time adding it for more OS:es

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,465 of 7,191
Volume mixer works, device volume control does NOT work, however if I play Youtube video in Chrome and adjust the volume, that works.

Couldn't I just leave the headset volume, which can only be controlled by the wheel on a specific Volume and just control the input volume with the normal volume slider oder Volume Mixer?

I.e. we cannot directly control headset volume with Software but you can increase/decrease input sound and it has the same effect?

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #1,467 of 7,191
Couldn't I just leave the headset volume, which can only be controlled by the wheel on a specific Volume and just control the input volume with the normal volume slider oder Volume Mixer?

I.e. we cannot directly control headset volume with Software but you can increase/decrease input sound and it has the same effect?

Apologies, I am not quite sure what you mean. Let me try to explain myself better.

Here is my volume mixer. Currently it's set to XMOS for my Grace. When I am using the Penrose, it switches to that.
Capture.PNG

Adjusting the volume level for the Penrose under Device does absolutely nothing. Slider can be at 0, 50, or 100 and there are no changes. Now, if I adjust Chrome on the other hand under Applications, it will adjust the volume of whatever I am watching which in my case was Youtube. The same applies for iTunes if it was there as well. Now of course, if I set Chrome at 50% and then adjust the volume via dial on the Penrose itself, Chrome will also get adjusted.

Interestingly enough, JRiver does not allow me to just the volume for Penrose within the app itself whereas iTunes does. I have not tried via volume mixer yet to see if doing it that way changes the playback volume for JRiver.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #1,468 of 7,191
The Mobius and Penrose sounds nothing alike. Two completely different tonal characteristics. In sure you can tweak presets to make them sound similar, but Mobius default, and flat presets do not sound like the Penrose.

This is a bit interesting to me. Audeze has stated a few times that the Penrose sounds very similar to Mobius as did Trellus who still had his as recently as 10-11 days ago. I personally haven't had my Mobius for over half a year after giving it to my sister when I realized it wouldn't work for my needs, but recall it sounding quite similar to the Penrose. I do recall that you were talking about the Penrose earlier than anyone else. If you had an earlier version, maybe they changed something EQ wise with their most recent firmware update?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gaming_Hea.../audeze_penrose_a_lowlatency_wireless_planar/

Question: Will the FR be the same as the Mobius on default? An will there be the same supported eq presets?
Answer: Yes. We will have presets in the app and custom EQ as well. This is something many people requested in Mobius, but we had hardware limitations. So we implemented them in Penrose.

Question: Will Penrose sound like Mobius?
Answer: Once EQ is finalized, we expect Penrose to sound similar to Mobius in Stereo mode, with 3D off.

This seems to suggest that maybe they changed something to get it to sound like the Mobius.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,469 of 7,191
This is a bit interesting to me. Audeze has stated a few times that the Penrose sounds very similar to Mobius as did Trellus who still had his as recently as 10-11 days ago. I personally haven't had my Mobius for over half a year after giving it to my sister when I realized it wouldn't work for my needs, but recall it sounding quite similar to the Penrose. I do recall that you were talking about the Penrose earlier than anyone else. If you had an earlier version, maybe they changed something EQ wise with their most recent firmware update?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gaming_Hea.../audeze_penrose_a_lowlatency_wireless_planar/

Question: Will the FR be the same as the Mobius on default? An will there be the same supported eq presets?
Answer: Yes. We will have presets in the app and custom EQ as well. This is something many people requested in Mobius, but we had hardware limitations. So we implemented them in Penrose.

Question: Will Penrose sound like Mobius?
Answer: Once EQ is finalized, we expect Penrose to sound similar to Mobius in Stereo mode, with 3D off.

This seems to suggest that maybe they changed something to get it to sound like the Mobius.

Thank you for finding that on finalized EQ, I was surprised to see @Mad Lust Envy say Penrose sounds nothing like Mobius but I didn’t respond because in fairness I don’t have both anymore and couldn’t directly compare the two but I thought I remember Audeze saying they expected them to sound very similar. 😅. That certainly jives with my experience, with the caveat of depending on notoriously imperfect audio memory.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #1,470 of 7,191
I have both on hand to directly compare. Personally speaking, Mobius at default or flat presets is warmer, thicker, more classic LCD esque sound. The Penrose sounds faster, not as thick, and sharper. More focused. Less bold and rounded in notes.

Both have very deep and immersive bass. The Penrose sounds clearer focused (more dry), while the Mobius sounds more forgiving and notes take up more space, whereas Penrose has more space between notes.

I'll have more to say when I finish writing my review.

Just my two cents. Maybe my definition of different isn't vast enough to quantify difference or sameness between them, bit I could definitely tell which is which in a blind test. Maybe in a not so direct comparison I could see a familiarity, personally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back