Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,291 of 7,191
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s a free trial of Parallels rather than Windows. It’ll still require a Windows licence.

The top part of the page mentions the free Parallels trial, but each of the “Methods” sections underneath that walks you through ways to use an unlicensed copy of Windows to trial. Also ignoring the article I have run Windows un-activated many times in Parallels, so it’s definitely possible.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #1,292 of 7,191
I don’t have a Windows or Android device, so looks like I’m stuck with hissing at launch.

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, PS4 Pro, and PS5, but apparently none of these devices can be used to disable sidetone.

Then again, the Penrose has been delayed until late December in Australia (and Penrose X is now 2021), so maybe I’ll be able to turn off sidetone by then.

I wonder if the PS5 is the problem? My PS5 fails to work with external USB storage (two different drives, that both work flawlessly with the PS4 Pro), and many people are reporting USB charging issues with Rest mode on the PS5. It might be that there are issues with the PS5’s USB drivers or USB ports. It’s interesting that the one person with glowing reports of the Penrose is using it on a PS4.

I have used my Mobius with both PS5 front ports and currently through a rear one since I could only get my USB SSD to work stably through the front USB C port as long as I don't use rest mode. My PS5 has no issues with Mobius and works just like it did with PS4, I would think Penrose would behave the same. However, Mobius does have a noticeable noise floor for me if nothing is playing, it really depends on peoples hearing sensitivity to it though probably. As Mobius is the only active headphones I own and I mainly use passive headphones through a balanced DAC/AMP that aren't fair to compare them with, I really have no idea what a normal noise floor for typical active headphones is.

People need to keep in mind though Mobius/Penrose have much more powerful amplification built into them for the planar transducers they use compared to your typical gaming headsets dynamic drivers, I think Mobius is like 1W balanced if my memory is correct. So, I understand and don't think they would be able to have as low of a noise floor to your typical gaming headset in comparison. If it's substantially lower than Mobius like they say, I will be very happy!

Edit: Confirmed via Mobius Indiegogo page specs "Built-in balanced amplifier (output 1W)". I would expect Penrose to be the same or similar. They don't list the built-in amp power ratings for either on their website. This also plays into the battery life compared to other headsets that have longer ones, they have less powerful amps in them.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,293 of 7,191
People need to keep in mind though Mobius/Penrose have much more powerful amplification built into them for the planar transducers they use compared to your typical gaming headsets dynamic drivers, I think Mobius is like 1W balanced if my memory is correct. So, I understand and don't think they would be able to have as low of a noise floor to your typical gaming headset in comparison. If it's substantially lower than Mobius like they say, I will be very happy!

This is interesting, and would go some way to explaining it.

To be honest I’m expecting the noise floor in them is going to be way lower than what I typically have in the background with my current open back Audio Technica’s anyway, so I’m not too worried now based on what you’ve said.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,294 of 7,191
The top part of the page mentions the free Parallels trial, but each of the “Methods” sections underneath that walks you through ways to use an unlicensed copy of Windows to trial. Also ignoring the article I have run Windows un-activated many times in Parallels, so it’s definitely possible.
I think you might have posted the wrong link? There’s no “Methods” section on the page it takes me to. But I’ll take your word for it, I guess I’ll install a trial copy of Patallels, install a trial copy of Windows, install the Audeze app, and turn off sidetone when my Penrose arrives.

EDIT: The forum link was redirecting. I had to cut and paste it.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,295 of 7,191
Step 1: Find the Aussie version of Best Buy
Step 2: Buy the cheapest Windows computer you can find
Step 3: Do whatever you need to do with the headset and software
Step 4: Return the computer
Step 5: Game on!
Even better, use the display computers. :p

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,296 of 7,191
Assuming they can implement it via firmware, unique button + dial combination can accomplish that. Like for example, push X button twice quickly and then use dial.
That's already implemented. Per the user guide: "For Xbox, the Mic wheel also functions as a balance control for chat vs. game audio. Just click, then spin the wheel until you have the desired balance between your two audio sources. These functions can also be controlled by the Audeze HQ app (see HQ section below)."

So if PC support can be added through firmware, the dial support is already there.

Another issue I have in testing these is that the 2.4ghz range seems to be around ~10 feet, but definitely less than 15 feet.
Are other people getting similar results to this? I'm used to 2.4ghz wireless headphones working from about 30ft away so I'm not sure if this is typical or an oddity for these. I would certainly hope that's unusual.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,297 of 7,191
Does anyone have the Logitech G Pro X Wireless to compare to Penrose?

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,299 of 7,191
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,300 of 7,191
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,301 of 7,191
to order or not to order. hmmm. Hang on to the DT770's with my Amplifier or go for the Penrose. Whart to do :p
Curious if the nintendo switch's USB-C adapter will add any additional latency to the latency from the 2.4Ghz connection

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,303 of 7,191
to order or not to order. hmmm. Hang on to the DT770's with my Amplifier or go for the Penrose. Whart to do :p
Curious if the nintendo switch's USB-C adapter will add any additional latency to the latency from the 2.4Ghz connection

That really just depends on how much wireless means to you. DT770's are great entry mid tier headphones. They are comfortable and built like tanks. A bit overrated in their prowess for gaming, but still fantastic headphones nonetheless.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,304 of 7,191
Personally, I’m waiting for more reviews on both the Penrose and Penrose X before I pull the plug. My main use case is for a wireless closed back planar for pc and mobile, with gaming being secondary but I’d appreciate the low latency. Otherwise I’d go for the Drop Panda :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,305 of 7,191
I love my Mobius, I expect to love my Penrose X for what I'm going to use it for. I ordered July 15 in the US, in FL, I hope to get my shipping email soon. I am going to use Penrose for my Work At Home business on my PC, then, when it's quitting time, I'm logging out and Rockin' out!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back