Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #857 of 7,191
What is noise floor? I'm a noob when it comes to audio terminology lol.

In signal theory, the noise floor is the measure of the signal created from the sum of all the noise sources and unwanted signals within a measurement system, where noise is defined as any signal other than the one being monitored.

Nutshell: Any noise other than what you are supposed to hear from the headphones themselves, which includes but is not limited to ambient noise from leakage.

***Important Information****

I have permission to confirm with 100% certainty that the Penrose X will work with a PS5. For anyone that is buying both consoles, you should buy the Penrose X. I am finally relieved to know I bought the right one.

Source?

I'm sure you could always paint it or something. :p

I have yet to see any headphones with a DIY paint job that actually looked remotely decent, but I am also always looking forward to be pleasantly surprised. If you have any examples of the Mobius or any similar headsets painted, please show it off!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #858 of 7,191
In signal theory, the noise floor is the measure of the signal created from the sum of all the noise sources and unwanted signals within a measurement system, where noise is defined as any signal other than the one being monitored.

Nutshell: Any noise other than what you are supposed to hear from the headphones themselves, which includes but is not limited to ambient noise from leakage.

Source?

I have yet to see any headphones with a DIY paint job that actually looked remotely decent, but I am also always looking forward to be pleasantly surprised. If you have any examples of the Mobius or any similar headsets painted, please show it off!

I talked to someone on the phone from their tech support team.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #866 of 7,191
This is strange only 4 or 5 days a go I spoke to one of them and got told I'd need to buy the penrose ps5 dongle to have my penrose X working on that platform.
It seems like a few of you are confused about this. The PS5 does not require any proprietary hardware in the dongle in order to work. It will recognize the headphones the same way a PC, Mac, or Switch would. The X dongle has an extra chip in it that allows it to play with Microsoft systems. This is a limitation set by Microsoft. Microsoft gets paid for every Penrose X sold. They chose not to add the Microsoft chip in the PS5 dongle so it could be marketed towards Sony users. I'm sure if they had it their way, they would only release one pair of headphones/dongle, but that's not the agreement.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #867 of 7,191
It seems like a few of you are confused about this. The PS5 does not require any proprietary hardware in the dongle in order to work. It will recognize the headphones the same way a PC, Mac, or Switch would. The X dongle has an extra chip in it that allows it to play with Microsoft systems. This is a limitation set by Microsoft. Microsoft gets paid for every Penrose X sold. They chose not to add the Microsoft chip in the PS5 dongle so it could be marketed towards Sony users. I'm sure if they had it their way, they would only release one pair of headphones, but that's not the agreement.
Sorry I've been told it by several of them so until they announce it officially I am not going to trust hearsay. Not saying your wrong but I am saying I can't just trust some random person on a forum. No offence but I am obviously going to trust what Audeze say aren't I.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #868 of 7,191
Sorry I've been told it by several of them so until they announce it officially I am not going to trust hearsay. Not saying your wrong but I am saying I can't just trust some random person on a forum. No offence but I am obviously going to trust what Audeze say aren't I.
You know they will never be allowed to come out and officially say that. That's why deals are made. It's the same thing as a game being announced as a timed exclusive, but the other company can't publicly state that it will be coming to their system as well.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #869 of 7,191
Or you could trust that I'm a good source! :)

If you were an Audeze engineer and the actual source, sure. That's not the case here. In your words, you spoke with someone who is supposed to be a tech support manager, which makes it worse than a "friend of a friend" scenario. In short, unless someone from Audeze confirms it here, on their webpage, or in an Insiders email, this info is simply hearsay. Like I said, I would wait until official communication regarding this or at least reviews confirming it before potentially buying the wrong headset. The way I look at it is this; if the Penrose X was compatible for PS5, they wouldn't need to sell 2 versions. The fallout from customers buying the non-X when they could have had something work for both makes it not worth it for Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back