Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #826 of 7,191
Latest shipping update:

B74Dkzj.png
Welp.... I'll live. lol They weren't kidding about that balance tweak they said they worked on back in the Sept 30th update. Quality over everything else.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #827 of 7,191
I think it has to do with the licensing or agreements that Audeze has with Microsoft on the Penrose X. After all, Xbox is a product of Microsoft and unfortunately in the computer segment, Apple, and by that extent MacOS is a direct competitor to Microsoft.
Technically, sure. But I just can’t see how it would be worth it for Audeze to agree to such a deal, when they would stand to cop an inordinate amount of heat from customers that bought the Penrose at the same price if the Penrose X then actually supports all the same things and more.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #828 of 7,191
Technically, sure. But I just can’t see how it would be worth it for Audeze to agree to such a deal, when they would stand to cop an inordinate amount of heat from customers that bought the Penrose at the same price if the Penrose X then actually supports all the same things and more.
This is what I can't get my head around, would they really sell 2 different headphones at the same price, where one supports more platforms that the other. I guess the Artic 7x is just that, so it's not unheard of.

I'll take the punt and hope that impressions trickle out before I receive my unit from addictedtoaudio, or hope for a small miracle that they drop the 20% restocking fee

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #829 of 7,191
Yeah, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to when we can presumably update firmware ourselves.

I could understand doing it with review units as they wouldn't want to risk bad press from people that hadn't bothered to update the firmware themselves, but from what we've seen in here over the last couple of weeks it seems like they have already sent review units out weeks ago.
Very likely they found some glaring problem. Not everyone can or chooses to update the firmware on any product so initial problems cause massive returns.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #830 of 7,191
Wonder how that latest update affects UK orders - I had read these were being shipped direct from the country of manufacture to the UK - if that firmware upgrade is needed though will all shipments be handled from the US.

Thinking it might we the last week in November before the PS versions arrive in the UK after all.

Yeah, if we're lucky at this point, it might well be last week in Nov.

I would rather the product arrives in its 'finished' form though, even if that means Audeze have to manually update all of the cans before sending them out.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #831 of 7,191
I have it confirmed for next week. It will be sent from the supplier to my shop this thursday. But anyone have any idea how comfortable this set really is? My fear with closed headsets are that they usually get very hot. But i just take a chance, hopefully i will like em.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #832 of 7,191
I have it confirmed for next week. It will be sent from the supplier to my shop this thursday. But anyone have any idea how comfortable this set really is? My fear with closed headsets are that they usually get very hot. But i just take a chance, hopefully i will like em.

The Mobius was hot, I expect this will be extremely similar in feel, if not identical, to that headset. I've found that to be true with any over the ear closed back set and ttend to use my LCD-2s unless I need sound isolation.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #833 of 7,191
The Mobius was hot, I expect this will be extremely similar in feel, if not identical, to that headset. I've found that to be true with any over the ear closed back set and ttend to use my LCD-2s unless I need sound isolation.
But could you wear it for hours while gaming? I wear my A50 Gen 4's w/ Mod Kit leather pads and my ears get pretty hot and sweaty and even achey at times. It's quite unpleasant, however, I need that noise isolation lol, so hope to god Penrose is at least a bit more comfortable on my ears.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #834 of 7,191

What dictates whether a headset will be hot for someone or not? I've used most of the HyperX line-up and currently use the Mobius, however, I have never felt too hot, or even felt my ears get sweaty.

But could you wear it for hours while gaming? I wear my A50 Gen 4's w/ Mod Kit leather pads and my ears get pretty hot and sweaty and even achey at times. It's quite unpleasant, however, I need that noise isolation lol, so hope to god Penrose is at least a bit more comfortable on my ears.

Definitely can wear it for hours, the Mobius is incredibly comfortable, I used to wear them walking to school for 30 minutes every morning and it would make my head negligibly warmer. I got used to the clamping force within hours, at most a couple days (to begin with). They're pretty good in terms of noise isolation too. When placed on a medium sized head at 50% volume (for windows via usb-c), they're barely audible in a quiet room 1m away.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #836 of 7,191
What dictates whether a headset will be hot for someone or not? I've used most of the HyperX line-up and currently use the Mobius, however, I have never felt too hot, or even felt my ears get sweaty.

Definitely can wear it for hours, the Mobius is incredibly comfortable, I used to wear them walking to school for 30 minutes every morning and it would make my head negligibly warmer. I got used to the clamping force within hours, at most a couple days (to begin with). They're pretty good in terms of noise isolation too. When placed on a medium sized head at 50% volume (for windows via usb-c), they're barely audible in a quiet room 1m away.
That's great to hear they are super comfortable!

Do you think the Penrose X will be comfortable to wear with glasses?

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #838 of 7,191
What dictates whether a headset will be hot for someone or not?

That will vary person to person. I get hot from any head covering after a while, it’s just how I’m wired, head and feet, big heat generators.
I can be playing in coldish room and will have shoes and socks off to help me cool as the headset will make me too warm.
I switch to in ears when I can to deal with it.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #840 of 7,191
I can finally welcome green into my life.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back