Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #811 of 7,191
Very happy to not have any led in my eye line.
Wonder how that latest update affects UK orders - I had read these were being shipped direct from the country of manufacture to the UK - if that firmware upgrade is needed though will all shipments be handled from the US.

Thinking it might we the last week in November before the PS versions arrive in the UK after all.

They can request their distributors apply this. They’d have to credit the labour involved, but should still work out cheaper than the extra freight of shipping China to US then out again.

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #812 of 7,191
Wonder how that latest update affects UK orders - I had read these were being shipped direct from the country of manufacture to the UK - if that firmware upgrade is needed though will all shipments be handled from the US.

Thinking it might we the last week in November before the PS versions arrive in the UK after all.

Yes, end of Nov is most accurate although judging from previous dates, you might be lucky to have them by Xmas.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #813 of 7,191
So still nothing on the Penrose X as of yet hmmm.
Yeah, but we shouldn't blame Audeze since they are probably just as anxious to hear from Microsoft on certifications as we are. Glad they keep updating us every week at least. I have faith we will get our Penrose X's before December (I'm in the US so not sure about other countries).

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #814 of 7,191
Thats definetely a plus as well, lossless wireless for console gaming. Kinda more interested in closed headphones right now cause i have a bit of noise around me.
What is lossless wireless anyways? Is that like Hi-Res audio over a wireless connection, or is it just stereo uncompressed, like the best you can get for a gaming headset over wireless?

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #817 of 7,191
Can someone help me understand why they’re gonna unbox the headphones, update firmware, box it again and then start shipping? Isnt firmware updates something we can do ourselves just like the mobius?
I thought that was weird as well. If there's a firmware update that's needed they can just have people do it themselves instead of going through the trouble of unboxing every single headset to apply it. Really weird decision on their part.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #818 of 7,191
Yeah, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to when we can presumably update firmware ourselves.

I could understand doing it with review units as they wouldn't want to risk bad press from people that hadn't bothered to update the firmware themselves, but from what we've seen in here over the last couple of weeks it seems like they have already sent review units out weeks ago.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #819 of 7,191
Yeah, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to when we can presumably update firmware ourselves.

I could understand doing it with review units as they wouldn't want to risk bad press from people that hadn't bothered to update the firmware themselves, but from what we've seen in here over the last couple of weeks it seems like they have already sent review units out weeks ago.

The headphones are being marketed toward console gamers. It's reasonable to expect that a lot of them will never hook up the headset to a PC to update firmware. Some may not even own PCs. From that perspective, updating them before shipping is the right thing to do. It's not like an extra 1-2 day day will mean anything in the long run.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #820 of 7,191
Can someone help me understand why they’re gonna unbox the headphones, update firmware, box it again and then start shipping? Isnt firmware updates something we can do ourselves just like the mobius?
That can be for many reasons, from legal reasons to usage reasons. Some countries doesn't allow you to ship/sell uncertified products, that includes firmware. From the usage point it can be a bug that avoid communication.

Ship a functional product 1 week later is less damaging that a problematic product on time. The internet is really quick to damage a product or brand.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #821 of 7,191
The headphones are being marketed toward console gamers. It's reasonable to expect that a lot of them will never hook up the headset to a PC to update firmware. Some may not even own PCs. From that perspective, updating them before shipping is the right thing to do. It's not like an extra 1-2 day day will mean anything in the long run.
I also think this is the main reason. Add onto that, that for a lot of people the first time they use the penrose will be with the new consoles. And people may not know how to update the headphones from the new consoles, let alone all the smaller settings in the consoles when they get to use them.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #822 of 7,191
So what is the real risk with ordering a Penrose X when wanting to use it on a Ps5 as well. Is it just that voice chat might not work, or is there an actual chance that the entire headset won't work.
I'm tempted to get it at the pre-order pricing but the local distributor in AU (addicted to audio) seems to charge a 20% restocking fee for returns, which would basically negate the entire preorder price.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #823 of 7,191
So what is the real risk with ordering a Penrose X when wanting to use it on a Ps5 as well. Is it just that voice chat might not work, or is there an actual chance that the entire headset won't work.
I'm tempted to get it at the pre-order pricing but the local distributor in AU (addicted to audio) seems to charge a 20% restocking fee for returns, which would basically negate the entire preorder price.
They honestly should work on PS5. PlayStation doesn’t have any proprietary tech that needs licensing for headphones. All usb headsets should work on the PlayStation. Xbox does with their wireless protocol I believe. The Penrose X have a toggle on the dongle for Xbox and everything else. PlayStation should fall under everything else but doesn’t seem like Audeze is confirming it. Probably due to marketing agreements with Microsoft is my guess.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #824 of 7,191

That is a fair point, although i would also say that if you're selling $300 headphones to console gamers it is important to make sure the process for updating said headphones is streamlined enough for them to be able to do it themselves.
They honestly should work on PS5. PlayStation doesn’t have any proprietary tech that needs licensing for headphones. All usb headsets should work on the PlayStation. Xbox does with their wireless protocol I believe. The Penrose X have a toggle on the dongle for Xbox and everything else. PlayStation should fall under everything else but doesn’t seem like Audeze is confirming it. Probably due to marketing agreements with Microsoft is my guess.

You say that, but Audeze have also specifically left off MacOS from their list of support on the Penrose X, and while I can see that they might be restricted from listing PS5 support as it’s a rival console, it would be pretty much unheard for them to not be allowed to list MacOS support for USB headphones. That leads me to the belief that there must be a technical limitation we’re not aware of.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #825 of 7,191
That is a fair point, although i would also say that if you're selling $300 headphones to console gamers it is important to make sure the process for updating said headphones is streamlined enough for them to be able to do it themselves.

You say that, but Audeze have also specifically left off MacOS from their list of support on the Penrose X, and while I can see that they might be restricted from listing PS5 support as it’s a rival console, it would be pretty much unheard for them to not be allowed to list MacOS support for USB headphones. That leads me to the belief that there must be a technical limitation we’re not aware of.
I think it has to do with the licensing or agreements that Audeze has with Microsoft on the Penrose X. After all, Xbox is a product of Microsoft and unfortunately in the computer segment, Apple, and by that extent MacOS is a direct competitor to Microsoft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back