Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 4, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #737 of 7,191
We keep things simple in our blogs so we can entertain the more curious audience here :) Thanks for asking.

1602855123439.png

On the blog we shared two plots, the top is the frequency response graph (like what you may be used to seeing for headphones) and the bottom is a polar plot.

The frequency response graph (above) shows the microphone's sensitivity at different frequencies for a specific angle. Here 0 degrees indicate on-axis, i.e. when you directly speak into it. You want the on-axis response to be flattish with no major peaks or dips till 10kHz so that all of the vocal range is captured without coloration. 135 degrees is the off-axis response (see below image as an example), this is sort of around and away from the mic, like where your keyboard is likely to be. 180 degrees is directly behind the mic, most likely this is where your monitor will be be if you are facing it. In the first plot you will see the the off axis sensitivity is between 20 to 30dB less than the on axis response in the midrange. What this means is sound arriving from around the mic will be up to 30dB quieter in the region where where our ears are most sensitive providing a good noise suppression of extraneous sounds.

1602855767596.png

The polar plot (below) Is a different way of plotting the frequency response to show the mic pick up pattern to show how different frequency ranges are picked up around the mic. The concentric circles indicate the sensitivity (the outer most indicate most sensitive and inner most least sensitivity). Here you see that the frequencies up to 10kHz re most sensitive when directly speaking into the mic (0 degrees) and they start falling off about 60 degrees to to either side and are least sensitive around 135 degrees.

1602855158016.png
Is the first chart the frequency response for the Audeze Penrose?

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #741 of 7,191
I have read through every page, and thought I would post a quick summary of commonly asked points that may or may not be covered on the Penrose web page:

Game/chat mix is supported via the headphone on Xbox but unlike Xbox PS4/PS5 does not expose the control for the mix via USB. So you will have to do the Game/Chat mix on the console.

Penrose will be able to take advantage of the 3D audio on PS5 when it is made available

Yes Penrose will have Side-tone toggling (on or off).

Battery life: ~15hrs when playing white noise at 85dB (DRP)

Battery is not user replaceable, they need to be shipped to us for replacement if needed. Penrose is an active only headset; so it will not work if battery is completely drained.

2.4Ghz wireless Lossless Game Audio with lowest possible latency of 16ms.

Bluetooth for connecting to phone or PC at the same time as 2.4Ghz wireless audio.

Broadcast quality microphone by Shure, best in class for wireless headset.

Mic does go through headset amp

Mobius ear cups will fit Penrose.

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #742 of 7,191
Dekoni already makes leather and suede earpads for the Mobius. They would also probably fit on the Penrose

One of my concerns is ear heat build up, my current set have fabric covers. How would the Dekoni pleather set be any different to the stock Penrose ones, as they are both pleather, so I don't get the point in considering them,

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #743 of 7,191
One of my concerns is ear heat build up, my current set have fabric covers. How would the Dekoni pleather set be any different to the stock Penrose ones, as they are both pleather, so I don't get the point in considering them,
Fabric covers on your current Mobius/Penrose? Mind sharing a pic? And also how it affects the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back