Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #706 of 7,191
Waves NX is what the Mobius uses internally as well. The software is only $10 and well worth it if you wanna use it for any headphone on PC. Better than Dolby Atmos PC version, Windows Sonic, or DTS Headphone X, IMHO.

There's Redscape Audio that costs $100 which I'm looking into, and it may actually be worth that. It's the only software with working room size adjustment, which is absolutely essential, and the demo was very promising. It's costly, but if you cosnidering how much some of us have spent for dacs that have virtual surround, $100 seems much easier to swallow, considering it will work with any dac/amp.
Nice suggestions. Waves is a nice software.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #707 of 7,191
I have the gel pads, and I didn't feel a difference in terms of heat. Minute if any. There's still no where for the heat to go unless you air it out. The difference is on how the pads mold on your head. They may be a little better for glasses users. So I'd say its a comfort thing more than a temperature thing. I like the stock pads well enough, so I didn't feel a pressing need to permanently swap to the cryo pads.
Can you use the cooling-infused gel pads with the Penrose? I heard they have those for the Mobius, and I can see myself maybe trying them out for the Penrose but not sure if they work with them.

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #708 of 7,191
Yeah
I get that, but gaming is going to be better with open design, right? The soundstage will be much bigger. Closed is going to be narrow and hard to pinpoint the location of the sound so I'm assuming the extent of what makes it a gamer headset is the MIC.

That depends. If you have a quiet environment to listen and are playing multiplayer games where you need to hear where enemies are coming from and such, then certain models of open-back headphones will be better. Some open headphones have smaller, more intimate sound stages and wouldn’t necessarily be much better than some closed models.

Also, if you are gaming in an environment where there may be varying amounts of outside noises leaking in, you might benefit more from a closed design to isolate yourself from those distractions. This would help you hear the sounds from your game more clearly.
There are so many different models at this point, and everyone’s use case is going to be different.

I think what makes the Penrose a “gamer” headset is largely the aesthetics/design, the mic like you said, and the dongle that lets it connect to various game consoles wirelessly as well as the PC.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #710 of 7,191
Dekoni already makes leather and suede earpads for the Mobius. They would also probably fit on the Penrose.

Oooooo, thanks for those links! I had no idea third-party pads were available for Mobius/Penrose. I wonder how those suede change the sound over stock pads.

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #713 of 7,191
Can you use the cooling-infused gel pads with the Penrose? I heard they have those for the Mobius, and I can see myself maybe trying them out for the Penrose but not sure if they work with them.
They're the same exact in terms of build, so anything physical that works on the Mobius, works on the Penrose.

Dekoni already makes leather and suede earpads for the Mobius. They would also probably fit on the Penrose.
I didn't realize this at all. That's huge. I should go pester Dekoni for some. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #716 of 7,191
PS5 will use their own virtual surround, Xbox is using Dolby Atmos, and PC has many options like Waves NX, Redscape Audio, ATmos, DTS X, etc.

Been using the Penrose with Waves NX, and it sounds as open as I'd ever need it to be. If you're gaming in virtual surround, there's very little reason to worry about inherent soundstage, to be honest. It benefits all headphones, even IEMs.

Do you think using this type of virtual surround software would benefit any game for PC, or do you typically just rely on the games built in 3D audio option?

I personally have never found built in game 3D audio to be that good at pin pointing directional audio, maybe Im doing something wrong tho..

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #720 of 7,191
Do you think using this type of virtual surround software would benefit any game for PC, or do you typically just rely on the games build in 3D audio option?

I personally have never found built in game 3D audio to be that good at pin pointing directional audio, maybe Im doing something wrong tho..
I've always used this type of virtual surround, and never use any in game headphone modes, since they tend to be nowhere near on the level. Only few games like Overwatch and CS GO have any actual virtual surround modes worth using.

You gotta remember that these effectively turn the audio into a 7.1 setup downmixed into something headphones can use. In game surround options tend to just be expanded stereo. Yes, in game audio options tend to be garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back