Thanks for posting.Here's the contents of the email including what the beta entails, looks like anyone can join the beta as long as they download it while it's available:
Thanks for helping us out with this beta test! We're reaching out to the community for feedback to make sure we can make the Penrose and all of our products the best they can be, and are excited about the changes coming for the Penrose.
This beta firmware will be available via the Audeze HQ app for a very limited time window.
At 4PM PDT on Monday 3/29, the beta firmware will available on the "settings" tab of the software for about 20 minutes. Make sure that you've installed the latest version of HQ and have your Penrose charged up and plugged in via USB.
If you do not see the firmware update available at the specified time, close HQ and reopen and it should become available.
We're unable to leave this window open for long, so we're not able to make special accommodations to install this firmware for users who aren't able to make it during the available window. If you're not able to make it during the specified time, we are hoping to finalize this build and have it available for wide release in the next 1-2 weeks or so depending on the feedback we get from this beta.
Once you've been able to give the new firmware a test, we ask that you reply to a short survey here: https://forms.gle/rpKeC5xZMyyUDWeDA
This firmware makes a few changes and adds a lot of new functionality:
- Makes several improvements to the mic quality and clarity over wireless.
- Adds an on-the-fly sidetone on/off functionality to the headphones by pressing in and holding the mic wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Adds an on-the-fly EQ preset toggle that will cycle through the 5 presets in memory by holding in the volume wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Fixes AAC support for Bluetooth.
- Adds a volume mix function for simultaneous BT/wireless connections. This can be used to adjust the relative levels on the fly while in Bluetooth mode by performing a "click and scroll" of the headphone volume wheel (click in once and then scroll up or down to your preferred mix).
As this firmware is still a beta, there are a few things yet to be implemented (they'll be added in the final build) and a small number of known bugs. We are aware of these issues and fixes are in the works:
- No voice cues yet for the new functionalities (sidetone on/off, EQ presets)
- There is a bug with the sidetone toggle that will disrupt function of the headphones if it's toggled on/off in Audeze HQ or the HQ app for Android after using the headphone control to toggle it on/off. This can be resolved by holding in the mic wheel as you toggle the sidetone function in HQ until you hear the sidetone turning on and off again.
- The HQ UI currently does not properly update when toggling sidetone on/off or changing EQ presets. Restarting HQ will show the currently active settings.
If you have any more specific questions or other feedback that is not covered on the survey, or have any trouble or need help with the new features you can reply directly to this email as well. Thank you very much for your help, and happy listening!
I've actually signed up via the email route suggested by @Audeze and suggest others do so too. I am presuming that they're using this method as the HQ app don't have a registration page, and I also assume Audeze won't know how many have installed the beta if it's open to all albeit for a limited time. Therefore so that Audeze knows how many have it and issues Vs no issues I have signed up.