Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,990 of 7,191
As a follow up to my initial impressions: I'm awaiting the beta firmware to test with WebEx, as I too heard that whooshing noise and it was quite problematic. Still super happy with bluetooth iphone music. I expect the firmware will fix whoosh.

On sound issues with the dongle: I have a concern that I may not get a PS5 to test before the 30-day return window and am wondering if folks that have connection problems tried the troubleshooting guide from Audeze here:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050582971-Troubleshooting-wireless-stability-issues

They suggest, after eliminating other possible causes, that you should try turning off other 2.4 GHz wireless routers and such, running the Penrose on a game so that the connection between the Penrose and dongle is active, and then turning the routers back on. Audeze indicate that routers will choose other channels if the one Audeze is using is occupied. I don't think I've seen this yet in the thread, but I may have missed it (I've read backwards quite a ways). I'm curious if this helps because I have had WiFi issues with my kids virtual-learning computer use and put in an extender that will also broadcast directly into my gaming area when I (eventually) get my PS5.

Finally, comfort over 2 hour wear time has been good. I have a head with non-monotonic curvature (i have a slight ridge) and experience an excruciating hot spot with other ear phones right at the top of my head, and so far the Penrose has not caused that. I have not tried the Arctis or other sets that may be more comfortable so I'm currently pleased but may be ignorant of what true comfort means in an existential sense.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,991 of 7,191
So it’s Wednesday and we haven’t had the firmware update go public yet. Which means we have to wait till Friday at the latest since Audeze said it’ll be coming this week. I wonder what more they’re fine tuning as users with the beta version have said it fixed their issues.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #2,992 of 7,191
As a follow up to my initial impressions: I'm awaiting the beta firmware to test with WebEx, as I too heard that whooshing noise and it was quite problematic. Still super happy with bluetooth iphone music. I expect the firmware will fix whoosh.

On sound issues with the dongle: I have a concern that I may not get a PS5 to test before the 30-day return window and am wondering if folks that have connection problems tried the troubleshooting guide from Audeze here:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050582971-Troubleshooting-wireless-stability-issues

They suggest, after eliminating other possible causes, that you should try turning off other 2.4 GHz wireless routers and such, running the Penrose on a game so that the connection between the Penrose and dongle is active, and then turning the routers back on. Audeze indicate that routers will choose other channels if the one Audeze is using is occupied. I don't think I've seen this yet in the thread, but I may have missed it (I've read backwards quite a ways). I'm curious if this helps because I have had WiFi issues with my kids virtual-learning computer use and put in an extender that will also broadcast directly into my gaming area when I (eventually) get my PS5.

Finally, comfort over 2 hour wear time has been good. I have a head with non-monotonic curvature (i have a slight ridge) and experience an excruciating hot spot with other ear phones right at the top of my head, and so far the Penrose has not caused that. I have not tried the Arctis or other sets that may be more comfortable so I'm currently pleased but may be ignorant of what true comfort means in an existential sense.

i said that to someone about channels here but never reply

i have so many xiaomi things with 2.4 wifi lol

lets see when i grab a penrose and try it

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,994 of 7,191
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #2,996 of 7,191
So did a test of the connection range in my house and it appears that the dongle range is much shorter than Bluetooth. If I'm in the TV room with it plugged into the ps4, I can walk to the room opposite or to the kitchen and just about maintain a stable connection (this is through a single wall). When connected via Bluetooth, I can't find a spot in my house where the connection drops, which is actually amazing, even through 4 walls and about 30m or so.

So while the dongle range isn't an issue for me in real life conditions, it's still interesting that it's alot worse than Bluetooth. I wonder if it's got to do with the 2.4ghz frequency

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,997 of 7,191
I don't agree with this. I don't think anyone has to be an "enthusiast" to want the best sound. I had a baby this year so a lot of my gaming went from my 7.2 sound system to a headset. I knew I was missing some sound from this and since switching a primary headset use I wanted something better then my current option. My search led me to the Penrose (there is a whole subreddit that was shilling these since there announcement and calling everything else wireless "trash" level. For all the negatives talked about other wireless headsets I was expecting to be blown away by the audio differences. What I found so far was a small increase in audio quality while sacrificing features that don't work as advertised and a whole lot of comfort. I recognize my other headset was bass heavy, and I still want a more true sound reproduction, but not at the cost of everything else, especially in a Headset that cost 2x or 3x the competition.

Just wanted to chime in and say I found out about these the same way. I have a different use case (PC gaming + conference calls) and I’m likely going to keep them assuming the firmware update is the magical mic fix but wow, that subreddit is ridiculous. Audeze, you should be paying that moderator if you aren’t already. He’s still aggressively arguing against people’s valid complaints/concerns despite not even receiving his own pair yet. Any other wireless headphone is immediately dismissed as garbage and someone’s even accused him of deleting comments.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,998 of 7,191

Yes I am aware of that link and even mentioned it in my impressions post. I did go ahead and try it since Audeze CS suggested it but it didn’t help for me. Once again, this is not an issue I have with any other wireless headset (Pulse 3D, Arctis 7P or Momentum via AptX LL, though obviously that last one is not 2.4ghz). So while I can see why they suggest trying to find a less trafficked channel (without a convenient way to change channels on the dongle), it doesn’t help me nor was it an issue with its competitors.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,999 of 7,191
Play this song on your old headphones / headset, then play it on the Penrose, and then come back and let us know what you think.

First, very cool song thanks for the new addition to my music library.

Second: another vote for Penrose over Sennheiser BTNC 4.5’s. The latter do sound good but around the 3 - 3:30 mark the precise reproduction of the Penrose is pretty clearly better to my ear when I go back and forth.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3,000 of 7,191
Yes I am aware of that link and even mentioned it in my impressions post. I did go ahead and try it since Audeze CS suggested it but it didn’t help for me. Once again, this is not an issue I have with any other wireless headset (Pulse 3D, Arctis 7P or Momentum via AptX LL, though obviously that last one is not 2.4ghz). So while I can see why they suggest trying to find a less trafficked channel (without a convenient way to change channels on the dongle), it doesn’t help me nor was it an issue with its competitors.

Sorry I missed that on your post. I appreciate the response. I hope this is something they can adjust with firmware and I hope I do not run into the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back