• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #7,652 of 7,693
I really didn't mean qc per say. What I meant to say was, why am I my third set of headphones in 4 years. It's not like I just toss them aside when I take them off. When I'm not using them, they are back in their case. So, why are they always breaking ? QC ? Bad electronics ? Bad solder ?

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #7,653 of 7,693
I really didn't mean qc per say. What I meant to say was, why am I my third set of headphones in 4 years. It's not like I just toss them aside when I take them off. When I'm not using them, they are back in their case. So, why are they always breaking ? QC ? Bad electronics ? Bad solder ?

I know what you mean. That's actually kind of what i was referring to when I meant QC, although that might not be the most accurate term here (it's not like they have problems from Day One, only after some usage). Maybe they just have a bad supplier?

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #7,654 of 7,693
They are just cheaply built! @Audeze can't bother to take a page from widely popular Bose or Sony wireless headphones that are ubiquitous in the market space.. and look how strongly built those examples are.

Mobius is made with hollowed, thin, clunky plastic parts. Perhaps built with very low standards as massive cut to manufacturing costs, while being sold at a premium. And although the same poor manufacturing design was followed when expanding to new variations of the original design (e.g. Penrose and HyperX), @Audeze continues to appear ignorant of the widely voiced negative feedback regarding those issues, with no intention of making an updated iteration with upgraded or ergonomically-updated manufacturing design. It's not like buyers won't jump on the opportunity to acquire a new iteration should it become available, but I'd argue there would be good market if there was even a top-tier LCD-GX with Waves NX, head-tracking, and the rest of Mobius technologies.. Oh, I relish that idea!

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #7,657 of 7,693
Just purchased these and while I'm waiting for them to arrive I'm getting up to speed on what they can and can't do. My main media viewing is done through Plex on an Nvidia Shield (2019 Pro) through an Onkyo 7100 AVR and to an LG Oled. All three of the devices in my chain have an option to output sound to a Bluetooth headset. What I'm not sure of is if any of these devices will allow the Mobius to render 3D sound? Or am I stuck with stereo?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #7,658 of 7,693
Just purchased these and while I'm waiting for them to arrive I'm getting up to speed on what they can and can't do. My main media viewing is done through Plex on an Nvidia Shield (2019 Pro) through an Onkyo 7100 AVR and to an LG Oled. All three of the devices in my chain have an option to output sound to a Bluetooth headset. What I'm not sure of is if any of these devices will allow the Mobius to render 3D sound? Or am I stuck with stereo?

The Mobius creates the 3D effect itself - it doesn't require a '3D compatible' source.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #7,659 of 7,693

For the best possible 3D audio, you'd want a Mac or Windows machine so that you can install the software. The software will then allow the Moebius to be used to decode and present a 5.1 or 7.1 audio signal (like your AVR does, but instead of sending it to the 5 or 7 speakers, it does its best to create the same effect via headphones.

Outside of that, you can have straightforward stereo or you can have "3D Stereo" which aims to reproduce the effect of listening to a pair of speakers in a room. I've used this with BT directly from the TV in my bedroom and it's actually pretty cool. Not the same as virtual sound, but good, still.

As far as I know, those are the two scenarios - a PC/Laptop for virtual surround, anything else is stereo or "3D Stereo". Happy to be corrected if I am out of date on this.

Might be the impetus you need to build a low cost (but upgradeable) HTPC to replace the Shield....? It'll still run Plex :)

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #7,660 of 7,693
thanks that makes things clear. I’ll look into it

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #7,661 of 7,693
I also have an NVIDIA shield… I keep meaning to set up PLEX, but I don’t have a disc drive to rip my DVDs or Blu-ray’s 😅

Since you and I both have Pro units with USB ports, I wonder if the USB supports more channels than just stereo output? However, Bluetooth here definitely is just a stereo source, so enabling the 3D mode on the headset would sound like a 2-channel HiFi setup of speakers in front of you rather than a surround setup… but 2-channel is cool in its own way, and at least it sounds out of your head.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #7,662 of 7,693
Thanks I might give it a shot. OTOH I got this to go wireless from my TV so if I have to run a USB cable it kinda defeats the purpose :wink: I'll try it on BT first and see how I like it...

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #7,664 of 7,693
@tdx You don’t need to install Audeze HQ for 3D. You can use the headphone’s buttons to switch between modes when using USB-C
Thanks. Was wondering if it also works via Bluetooth, apparently it does (simulated) so it's all good.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #7,665 of 7,693
For the best possible 3D audio, you'd want a Mac or Windows machine so that you can install the software. The software will then allow the Moebius to be used to decode and present a 5.1 or 7.1 audio signal (like your AVR does, but instead of sending it to the 5 or 7 speakers, it does its best to create the same effect via headphones.

Outside of that, you can have straightforward stereo or you can have "3D Stereo" which aims to reproduce the effect of listening to a pair of speakers in a room. I've used this with BT directly from the TV in my bedroom and it's actually pretty cool. Not the same as virtual sound, but good, still.

As far as I know, those are the two scenarios - a PC/Laptop for virtual surround, anything else is stereo or "3D Stereo". Happy to be corrected if I am out of date on this.

Might be the impetus you need to build a low cost (but upgradeable) HTPC to replace the Shield....? It'll still run Plex :)
This is mostly correct but for one point:

Mobius does not need any dedicated software or driver to play 7.1 surround from a PC or Mac.
Mobius shows up as Class Compliant (CC, no driver needed) 7.1 sound card and can be addressed by any PC or Mac source, even the browsers or games.

The AUDEZE HQ APP is for adjusting some important parameters like your head dimensions and amount of ambience (I reduced it to “25”) , but when done it’s no longer needed for use of Mobius.

And here is Mobius Achilles Heel:
There is no other way than from a computer to get true 7.1 surround sound into Mobius.
Not even from iPhone / iPad due to the lack of player apps like Amazon Prime or Youtube supporting 7.1 on iOS.
Hardware related, e.g. from a multichannel iPad DAW 7.1 works!

Though, the Stereo to 3D / Surround emulation with headtracking sounds quite impressive, beyond what even the “King Of Soundstage” Sennheiser HD 800 can offer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back