• I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #5,341 of 7,693
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #5,342 of 7,693
But IS there something better..? This is brand new tech, is it not? Audeze only.
Well if you're searching for one particular aspect of what the Mobius does, sure. But definitely no product that does it all.

The headtracking isn't limited to the Mobius. But it's definitely the easiest to acquire.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #5,343 of 7,693
Thanks for your writeup, much appreciated. Sorry to thread-jack here but isn't Atmos headphones only available for certain titles? Or do they still have a VSS it plays through even if it's a game without Atmos?
I'll confirm what others said: any game/app that has 5.1, 7.1, or 7.1.x sound will be rendered into VSS over 2.0. It will not upsample (upstage? upsurround?) any 2.0 content, however.

Thank you for your write-up and impressions.

I don’t have a PC and intended to use mine with my PS4 Pro. I already have an Astro Mixamp Pro that I use with my Fidelio X2’s (and BoomPro Mic Cable), and thought I could either connect my Mobius to the Mixamp via Aux to maintain the Game vs Chat Volume slider (I don’t use the Dolby Surround anyway), or just plug the Mobius directly into the PS4 via USB to avoid double-amping.

I also would be waiting for an iOS or Mac app to adjust as well.

Questions — if I do connect to the PS4 Pro vs USB then am I able to bias game vs. chat volume on the Mobius? I don't recall the button layout on the Mobius. You listed this option as a “Pro” in your write-up. This setup would still work well for multiplayer and voice chat right?

Why did you end up going with the X7 as opposed to using the Mixamp? Is it the extra power?

Thank you!
Because I bought the MixAmp to apply VSS to both consoles, I never actually used its chat mixing functionality and instead always connected my microphone directly to the controller (with MixAmp USB going to the TV so it would turn on for either console). If you don't use the MixAmp's VSS, then plugging the Mobius directly into the PS4 is going to be the cleanest sounding and cable routing way to use the Mobius. As for game vs. chat volume biasing on the Mobius, I don't know of a way to change it other than in PS4 software, but I'll have to defer to others that play multiplayer on PS4. (small tip about plugging into the PS4 Pro, try both USB ports, one of mine didn't recognize the Mobius as an audio output device initially, only input...power cycling the PS4 Pro fixed it)

As for the X7 over MixAmp, the X7 is probably what I should have bought from the very beginning. I didn't love the VSS on the MixAmp and it did struggle to drive whatever headphones I was using at the time (I think the DT990 250ohm). By nearly all accounts the X7 has great VSS and can drive my HD700 (or output rendered VSS over 2.0 out of optical and I can drive it with my Schiit stack). I've only used it for about an hour now but I'm already really happy with it. I still want headtracking with console VSS most of all though :dt880smile:

Would people here agree that the Mobius is the sum of its parts and not just ONE particular thing? They set out to make a headphone that does so many things, and with a price range in mind.

You can make a noise free, wireless Headphone that will probably cost just as much as the Mobius. No other features.

You can make a wired headphone that costs this much and sound better. But you lose all the other features.

You can make a headtracking only headphone that probably costs this much, but lacks the other functions.

But all of that and STILL keep this price point? Come on now. You're getting so much here. That's what surprises me. You get all this, and it sounds THIS good, and people still wouldn't be happy. They want it to sound like a wired headphone with all these bells and whistles, all for a cheap cost (relative to its feature set).

You seriously just need to be more realistic.

Hell I still have my complaints like the presets and 3D always resetting. It ain't perfect . But even with these annoyances, I still think it's so much you're getting that far outweigh whatever issues it has.

But that's just me, I guess.
The whole combo is exactly why I fully intend to keep them despite my disappointments. It definitely adds up to more than the sum of its parts (and the cost that I paid for it). Maybe someday I'll have a PC and actually be able to get full use out of them.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #5,344 of 7,693
I'm pretty sure audeze is on their shipping schedule. They ship it to their 3PL and once it clears customs it goes out to customers. From what I understand, the 16th was the date they shipped to their 3PL. Once it clears customs it will be on the way.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #5,346 of 7,693
Well, I'm not Audeze but I know the fixed unit sent to me came direct from China, so I would make the assumption that whomever is here in North America may be getting theirs soon enough. Don't quote me though. I don't know how Audeze is gonna approach shipping to actual buyers.

The one I got, both pads weren't attached to the Mobius. I had to snap them back on. So just be wary something like that may happen.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #5,348 of 7,693
I'm pretty sure audeze is on their shipping schedule. They ship it to their 3PL and once it clears customs it goes out to customers. From what I understand, the 16th was the date they shipped to their 3PL. Once it clears customs it will be on the way.

Yup, shipment on the 16th was from China to HK. This only means the process has started. What it does not mean is that the parts arrive at HK on the 16th.

Chinese customs themselves make it so difficult for their own country to become an international shipping hub, and they're notoriously slow and careless.

It was a given in our company that releasing a consignment from free trade warehouse from shanghai into shanghai itself took a week. (At least up to 2 years ago)

On multiple occasions, the authorities have crushed our company's parts after their slow "visual check" of parts by stacking up pallet full of metal cast parts on top of carton boxes on another pallet.

If my box arrives late and looks crushed, I will not be surprised.

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #5,350 of 7,693
But IS there something better..? This is brand new tech, is it not? Audeze only.
I think the only thing brand new is all the features in one unit. Waves Nx, headspeaker, and others have head tracking devices and there are plenty of devices with built-in virtual surround or programs you can use. They are the first orthodynamic bluetooth headphones though? Which is why I got them. I personally like OOYH better than waves nx for surround, but i am looking forward to trying out head tracking for the first time. Maybe look into headspeaker though its a standalone device for head tracking and convolution.

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #5,352 of 7,693
I think the only thing brand new is all the features in one unit.
I'm assuming that Mobius has a very specialized/R&D'd & tweaked soundstage & imaging ability, that can't be found elsewhere, regardless of the head tracking, but yeah, we'll see. :)

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5,353 of 7,693
I'm assuming that Mobius has a very specialized/R&D'd & tweaked soundstage & imaging ability, that can't be found elsewhere, regardless of the head tracking, but yeah, we'll see. :)

Hmm i dunno... imaging is just driver matching(which audeze does well) and soundstage, well, think open headphones or alpha prime 3d printed cups xD

Now as far as planars working better for binaural rendering and room emulation, ya, for sure, my hd6xxs cant hold a candle to my el8s with OOYH, can only imagine how good electrostatics sound with it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #5,354 of 7,693
This thread is so wild lol. You know is crazy when I want to go back to the Utopia thread...

Am I the only one that is just excited for it to show up, and looking forward for that moment??

You, sir, are certainly not the only one looking forward to receiving your headphones with patience and anticipation. I would stay out of this thread myself but I have to read something about the Mobius daily or I think I may go insane from the (short) wait. So excited for these!

To patience and appreciation of all the hard work by the folks at @Audeze. :beerchug:

PS: Some in this thread seem to be traveling without a towel. ‘Tis a sad life...

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #5,355 of 7,693
Interesting that they would ship on the 16th, and still be held up in customs on the 21st or 22nd.

I haven't dealt much with Chinese customs, but working for a 3PL myself...everything we ship is expected to clear customs the same day we ship it out of our warehouse. That would be US customs majority of the time, and importing into other countries, I don't have much experience with exporting from China to here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back