Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #4,847 of 7,693
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #4,848 of 7,693
aptX is legacy technology. If anything I’d like to see a proprietary technology to stream 5.1/7.1, even if it’s over WiFi. Using these for surround sound is cumbersome unless you’re using it on a computer. But it is a gaming headset and many gamers use their PC’s and expansive monitors to watch movies.

True, aptX goes back to the 1980s, really, but it is widely adopted, far more than AAC and LDAC, and will continue to have more usage by far than either for a few years at least, so I wouldn't dismiss it as irrelavant by any means. There are more current model headphones out there that support aptX HD, for example, than LDAC, although thanks to Oreo's adoption of it, I'm sure that will change over time, although with how slowly Android users adopt new OS's... :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #4,849 of 7,693
@Audeze I think the next version of this headset should be accompanied by a nice cross-platform mobile app that will house all of these features/settings in a digital form. Just think how radically you can simplify the user experience by allowing the user to set all of the features they want using a app instead of having so many dials and switches on the headset. Though some are important and should stay on the headset, others can possibly make their way into the app. I think this can not only simplify the design of the headphone, but also improve user experience as one would be able to see the changes they are applying to the headphone settings, rather than feeling for them. Just an idea... :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,850 of 7,693
@Audeze I think the next version of this headset should be accompanied by a nice cross-platform mobile app that will house all of these features/settings in a digital form. Just think how radically you can simplify the user experience by allowing the user to set all of the features they want using a app instead of having so many dials and switches on the headset. Though some are important and should stay on the headset, others can possibly make their way into the app. I think this can not only simplify the design of the headphone, but also improve user experience as one would be able to see the changes they are applying to the headphone settings, rather than feeling for them. Just an idea... :)

audeze has stated that they plan to make an app to allow us to change settings of the headphone but no ETA. I personally like the diet of the knives that I can change settings on the Fly especially using analog 3. 5 mm cable.

what I really want is a set a default on state so that way I don't have to keep switching from 7. 1 to hi-rez and turning 3D off every time that I power on the headphone.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #4,851 of 7,693
I got so excited I got a text from DHL today of a shipment inbound from Hong Kong.

Then I read the description and it was a KZ ZSA $20 IEM sent to me for review purposes and was then sad. Real sad.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #4,852 of 7,693
I got so excited I got a text from DHL today of a shipment inbound from Hong Kong.

Then I read the description and it was a KZ ZSA $20 IEM sent to me for review purposes and was then sad. Real sad.

I bet your face was like
smile-sad.gif

Hopefully things go smoother from here, has been a bit of a rocky road show, I can't even imagine how it's been like for Audeze. Must have been some tense moments through this project.

I wonder if Critical Hit $269 group will get theirs shipped soon too or how many tiers get shipped around 16th, if it's closer to 23rd or so for that tier.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #4,854 of 7,693
Curious Audeze. Now you've been re-working these a day or two now, still having positive results with the fix? Noise floor still hovering millimeters from the soles of my feet like the first few beta fixed units?

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #4,855 of 7,693
I'm not taking anyone's word that 3d isn't going to work well with 2.0 music! I'll see when I get mine. Speakers are my go to when given the choice. I suspect a lot of people here are just more used to headphones than speakers.

I think it works okay listening with the Nx App although there's only 3 presets and only "Multimedia" preset is somewhat true to the non-surround response curve but could be the built-in Audeze house sound preset (default) in Mobius works better though. But I don't know how headtracking will affect the experience as I don't have any webcam to enable headtracking function in the Waves Nx App but without headtracking I think it works fairly decent, I mostly slightly prefer it off in the Nx App vs on due to ever so slightly affecting the response curve (multimedia preset is closest but has like ever so slight bit loss in highs clarity tho but the rest is kept fairly close though with bass and mids).

I think especially if Audeze goes down to path later on to allow custom EQ settings through their app, that's when you might be able to better dial in any changes the surround sound settings might have on the overall frequency response. For music it could also be beneficial to let users disable headtracking I'd think but I will know for sure when I get Mobius in my hands and compare it to the experience I have had with the Nx app without headtracking.

As a fan of a custom dolby headphone foobar config I listen with every once in a while, If you're lucky default presets of any kind might work for you and your ears but the more you are able to dial in stuff the closer you should get to the desired result. I hated for example how Dolby Headphone would sound by default for music but with a little tweaking (EQing + HRTF tweaks) I could mitigate the bad effects quite well while keeping the positive things (some examples below)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,856 of 7,693
I'm not taking anyone's word that 3d isn't going to work well with 2.0 music! I'll see when I get mine. Speakers are my go to when given the choice. I suspect a lot of people here are just more used to headphones than speakers.

As someone who hasn't listened to "normal" headphones in over a year, the mobius in 3D mode is fantastic for music. This is the sound I've been chasing for a while now. And ive been through 2 phonitors, SBX, Dolby Headohone, HeaDSPeaker, Out of your Head, you name it. This is the best virtual speaker system ive heard so far.

Still excited about the Smyth Realizer for an endgame option, but for $200 and all the gear the mobius replaced for me, it's amazing.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #4,857 of 7,693
That's the thing. I have trouble believing that the hiss wasn't something that was obvious prior to shipping out these first few orders. Retroactively trying to fix a fault that they were aware of but shipped anyways ain't really okay by my book, but I guess it's still conjecture on my part. However, when you sell a piece of audio equipment -- whether it be headphones or an amp, you check the noise floor as the final part of QC. Not using subjective measures like a group test, that's irrelevant (but would still catch it, really). There can't be any way that an automated process couldn't have caught the hiss.

But if they were aware of it, and they decided to ship it out anyways -- not good. I mean, if you sold me a car that you knew had faulty brakes, and then sent out a recall notice afterwards, would all be absolved?

Since you don't know you don't have facts. With out any facts your comments are unwarranted. Now, if you know that Audeze knowingly released a flawed product then we have a right to call them on it. Otherwise, let's not try to stir things up with unsubstantiated pseudo accusations.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #4,859 of 7,693
I do question some facts....

if all or some of the beta testers didn't alert audeze of the hiss issue then the audeze designers are in the same boat as the beta testers and didn't alert the powers to be of the hiss issue ( you know, listened to the phones themselves) ... so in that respect audeze needs to get a better set of beta testers and sit the headphone designers down in a training session and train them on issues that potentially could cause a catastrophic design flaw(s) ....
audeze shouldn't have to depend on beta testers that more than likely don't want to rock the boat too much for fear of not getting a discount or free set of head phones it they told the designers.. " hey, check your set of phones at the home office, I detect hiss, might just be me " audeze - " wow, thanks beta tester for bringing this to our attention, we hear it too " YIKES

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #4,860 of 7,693
Judging from MadLustEnvy's review, there was some nose in the beta stage and Audeze told him they were actively working on reducing it. He didn't seem to mind it. Maybe it was a question of people not seeming to mind it combined with Audeze telling early beta testers that it was being improved. Maybe it was already improved. Who cares. It's being fixed now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back