• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #4,322 of 7,693

Dolby 5.1 tests on YouTube still provide the most convincing surround sound I’ve heard out of headphones even though they’re technically 2.1. These headphones really open up and become spacious with the 3D setting enabled! I only listened with 3D off for a few seconds but the soundstage is much larger with 3D on and the sound is overall better.

No concerns with listening to 2.1 content the majority of the time. Works perfectly fine with the 3D settings!

Edit: I try that test with every pair of headphones I buy and meant to say Mobius with 3D enabled provides the most convincing surround sound I’ve heard out of headphones with that test! So I’m not going to stress too much about feeding native 5.1 into them when it’s not convenient.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,323 of 7,693
Mobius has a more-than-adequate onboard DAC/amp and you would be using it via USB when you’re playing a MMO so battery life shouldn’t be a concern.

I see, this is excellent to hear, it will sound the same then just turn off the battery, that makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that. My laptop has a Type C port, so can I just go type c to type c in wired mode when gaming? Then I just hit the 3d mode button and away I game?

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #4,324 of 7,693
To get away from all the he said, she said commentary has anyone got an opinion on a shower thought of mine?

HTPC (or even the desk pc etc) with SPDIF in.

Xbox/PS4 etc
Video => HDMI => TV
Audio => Toslink => HTPC (multichannel audio)

Mobuis => USB => HTPC for the multichannel audio and all the goodies we want.

Any holes in this idea?
I had this idea too... I wasn't sure if using one soundcard as SPDIF input and then the Mobius as output was possible. In my mind I ruled it out form working by assuming that the incoming SPDIF would only decode and only send it to it's own output. I would love to hear if this works as a solution. I currently use a Creative X7 and my PC is hooked up usb and the ps4 is connected SPDIF. It would be a very simple solution for me to be able to use the PS4 in 5.1/7.1 if widows allows you to chose the X7 spdif as input and chose the Mobius as the external sound device.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #4,325 of 7,693

Dolby 5.1 tests on YouTube still provide the most convincing surround sound I’ve heard out of headphones even though they’re technically 2.1. These headphones really open up and become spacious with the 3D setting enabled! I only listened with 3D off for a few seconds but the soundstage is much larger with 3D on and the sound is overall better.

No concerns with listening to 2.1 content the majority of the time. Works perfectly fine with the 3D settings!

Are you using 3d manual?

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #4,326 of 7,693
Are you using 3d manual?

3D auto. Interesting to walk around with it lol. Super convincing when seated. 3D settings really open up the soundstage in a natural non-gimmicky way. Almost feel like I’m listening to an open-back.

Quality DSP here!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #4,327 of 7,693
The only oversight is the complexity of the headphones’ controls. I sold my other early bird to a friend (with no markup) and he needed some handholding to use the headphones. Audeze has excellent support so it shouldn’t be an issue if consumers need help but I’d say in advance to be prepared since I think a number of consumers will need assistance of some sort.

After playing with it more I think an iOS/Android app to control presets/3D settings and even inputs if possible would go a long way. It’s really not intuitive to switch settings without taking the headphones off.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #4,328 of 7,693
Got my Mobius in Copper today. Sounds fantastic with my Razer Phone with 24bit FLAC. Using V-curve EQ at very high volume will cause distortions. The hissing is much more prominent when using 3D audio, even at moderate volume. If 3D is off, the hissing almost goes away. There are other modes you can try out as well. I've only tested it with music listening on my phone using the USBC to USBC cable.

It is very comfortable to wear. The cups are plush and soft circumaural. Grip strength could be a bit stronger. If you bend over to grab something quickly, it could come off. Weight is non issue for me. I can wear these for hours. Tried variety of music genres, These can handle them all faithfully. Let your ears adjust to them.

There are many different modes and combinations to try out using the audio and mic volume buttons AND toggles (rolling the button back and forth), and the 3D button. I turned 3D off and mode to MUSIC and HIGH REZ. Sound signature is similar to the LCD-XC as they're both planars, accurate and quick (tight). But still cannot compare to the XC, and rightly so. But still sounds so good.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #4,329 of 7,693
Got my Mobius in Copper today. Sounds fantastic with my Razer Phone with 24bit FLAC. Using V-curve EQ at very high volume will cause distortions. The hissing is much more prominent when using 3D audio, even at moderate volume. If 3D is off, the hissing almost goes away. There are other modes you can try out as well. I've only tested it with music listening on my phone using the USBC to USBC cable.

It is very comfortable to wear. The cups are plush and soft circumaural. Grip strength could be a bit stronger. If you bend over to grab something quickly, it could come off. Weight is non issue for me. I can wear these for hours. Tried variety of music genres, These can handle them all faithfully. Let your ears adjust to them.

There are many different modes and combinations to try out using the audio and mic volume buttons AND toggles (rolling the button back and forth), and the 3D button. I turned 3D off and mode to MUSIC and HIGH REZ. Sound signature is similar to the LCD-XC as they're both planars, accurate and quick (tight). But still cannot compare to the XC, and rightly so. But still sounds so good.

The comfort and stability is excellent! Perfect weight distribution, nice padding on the headband, and the ear pads form a great seal. Better than the Sine or EL-8. I actually feel these are among the most stable over-ears I’ve used and think it could be possible to even use them for fitness activities though they may be a tad large to do that. (Also not sure I want to sweat all over my Mobius :).)

Not even being biased here when I say that Mobius is one of the most stable and comfortable over-ear headphones I’ve used.

Edit: by the way, Audeze typically recommends using their presets vs using a secondary equalizer. The default preset is already great so would just avoid EQ or cycle through the presets if it’s not to your liking :) @midnightfrolic

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #4,330 of 7,693
The sound coming out of Mobius via Bluetooth 2.1 even for movies is incredible. Some of the best I’ve ever heard. Can’t imagine what true 5.1 via USB sounds like (will test at some point) but anybody planning to use Mobius with devices other than computers will not be disappointed with the 3D effect.

I think Audeze made the right choice fixing the hiss since it isn’t incredibly pronounced but definitely noticeable.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #4,331 of 7,693
The sound coming out of Mobius via Bluetooth 2.1 even for movies is incredible. Some of the best I’ve ever heard. Can’t imagine what true 5.1 via USB sounds like (will test at some point) but anybody planning to use Mobius with devices other than computers will not be disappointed with the 3D effect.

I think Audeze made the right choice fixing the hiss since it isn’t incredibly pronounced but definitely noticeable.
Don't you have a friend with a PC and Netflix to let you try the 5.1channel recorded movies? You will be really impressed.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #4,332 of 7,693
Don't you have a friend with a PC and Netflix to let you try the 5.1channel recorded movies? You will be really impressed.

I have a Mac I plan to test with Netflix (for an easy 5.1 source) and will also test Hi-Res mode with lossless files. Just don’t want to spoil 2.1 and Bluetooth which already sounds great if it’s a dramatic difference :L3000:

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #4,333 of 7,693
The only oversight is the complexity of the headphones’ controls. I sold my other early bird to a friend (with no markup) and he needed some handholding to use the headphones. Audeze has excellent support so it shouldn’t be an issue if consumers need help but I’d say in advance to be prepared since I think a number of consumers will need assistance of some sort.

After playing with it more I think an iOS/Android app to control presets/3D settings and even inputs if possible would go a long way. It’s really not intuitive to switch settings without taking the headphones off.

They are going to come out with apps for Android & Mac later on, but they won't come out with an iOS app since Mobius is not compatible with those devices via USB, only AUX & Bluetooth.

I am very much looking forward to apps on those platforms and hope it's not to long after launch because I have Note 8 and mainly use iMac Pro & Macbook Pro, haven't had my gaming PC running since December, I really have to get around to hooking it back up before I get Mobius, so I have got a couple more weeks probably to do it before arrival.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #4,334 of 7,693
I see, this is excellent to hear, it will sound the same then just turn off the battery, that makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that. My laptop has a Type C port, so can I just go type c to type c in wired mode when gaming? Then I just hit the 3d mode button and away I game?

Yes! It will charge and 3D mode works on all inputs

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #4,335 of 7,693
They are going to come out with apps for Android & Mac later on, but they won't come out with an iOS app since Mobius is not compatible with those devices via USB, only AUX & Bluetooth.

I am very much looking forward to apps on those platforms and hope it's not to long after launch because I have Note 8 and mainly use iMac Pro & Macbook Pro, haven't had my gaming PC running since December, I really have to get around to hooking it back up before I get Mobius, so I have got a couple more weeks probably to do it before arrival.

An app should* be able to interface with iOS via Bluetooth. *I don’t know if the chipset can support this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back