• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3,601 of 7,693
There that's better worded. Your original review seemed to be calling it a non issue.

Regardless mine hisses regardless of input. It's possible I still have a problem unit. You seem to be saying there is no hiss when there's input, but I can clearly hear mine even through other audio.

Edit: just saw your post. Your hiss is constant too. Thank you at least for your review and confirmation that this does seem to be the intended final product

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,602 of 7,693
No, I;'m calling that guy a nutcase THAT EXPECTS LITERAL PERFECTION (IS THAT YOU), and considering he seems to be thinking I'm some Audeze shill sent here to do damage control. I'm literally agreeing with you that there is hiss. But the moment I said it's a non-issue and only really a thing when there is nothing playing, you got all riled up.

So yeah, what else do you wanna accuse me of?

If people wanna complain about some non-audio hiss, hey, that's on them. Perhaps they want NO hiss at all, and that's ok. I'm here to say that I'm one of those that don't mind the hiss, because it's not a problem when I play anything. Only when nothing is going on. My two cents. You can agree or disagree, but it is what it is.

I will bold this so people understand my opinion:

YES THERE IS HISS. DOES IT BOTHER ME? NO, BECAUSE IT'S ONLY A PROBLEM WHEN NO AUDIO IS PLAYING, IMHO.

I haven't received mine yet, can you listen to a quiet orchestra recording and give me your thoughts about the hiss?

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,603 of 7,693
First of all, NO ONE sent me here. Audeze, Sankar, Head-fi, NO ONE is in control of what I have to say. If I was here for damage control, I'd say that there was NO hiss, and you guys are bringing up nonsense. No one is paying/compensating me for anything I say here. As soon as I'm done it's being sent back like what I usually do with units sent to me the majority of the time. IF I have an issue with any item sent to me, I tell the reps directly that I'm not satisfied and that I, in good faith, can't review them positively, so either they can refuse a review and send something better, or I will post a critical review. I have done this on MULTIPLE occasions. If a product is good, I will review it. If it isn't, I will decline. I don't get anything EITHER WAY. This is a hobby. The few paid reviews were done for a website I no longer work for, and even back then I refused bad products.

Like I said, THERE IS HISS. The pre-production unit that Jude himself heard was the SAME EXACT ONE I HEARD. And that one had hiss, and the hiss, just like today, was minor and couldn't be heard when you were actually PLAYING something on it.

The hiss is more or less like I remember. Something that is THERE, absolutely, but not something that detracts from anything when there is some form of playback going on.

But yes, keep assuming the worst out of people just because you expect wired quality from a non-exorbitantly priced headphone. You sound like a typical nutcase that expects literal perfection. Not gonna happen. But keep dreaming.

For the rest of us, be realistic. Bluetooth headphones usually have some minor hiss here or there, but generally don't have an issue when there is playback occurring. The Mobius is no different. If you have realistic expectations of wireless quality, you'll understand that you can't expect miracles or something compared to a discrete dac and amplifier with a high end headphone.

The Mobius so far sounds as good as I remember when there is playback. I'm not here to review zero audio hiss. I'm here to review how it sounds when you actually FEED IT SOMETHING.

I apologize for the damage control thing; I did not mean to attack your integrity. Just the way you came in here after what’s been going on the past day, that is what it looked like to us. But again, every unit you have heard including the one Jude heard was handpicked by Audeze, not a random unit like the people that having been receiving them are, that’s my main point the ones people are getting might be worse than the ones that you have listened to.

I don’t expect perfection, but since some people have said they find them unusable for gaming/movie watching, I find it concerning. These are not your average Bluetooth headphones and I see that as just an extra add on, they are mainly made for USB as the primary use. Why do you focus so much on Bluetooth which you would never use for gaming? I view these as wired USB gaming headphones first, not Bluetooth headphones.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,604 of 7,693
Well for what I intend to use them - low level hiss is not an issue - checked them out at CJ in London and didn't noticed anything.

I am more concerned with HPs being returned to sender as it means longer wait ;[[[
Top 20 from UK still no tracking info
so probably will not arrive before my holidays ;[[[[[
I am going on holiday middle of August and i may get my pair before then accounting to the distributor otherwise i will arrive to have them sent to me. I hope there won't be massive delays because of the hiss issue.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,606 of 7,693
I apologize for the damage control thing; I did not mean to attack your integrity. Just the way you came in here after what’s been going on the past day, that is what it looked like to us. But again, every unit you have heard including the one Jude heard was handpicked by Audeze, not a random unit like the people that having been receiving them are, that’s my main point the ones people are getting might be worse than the ones that you have listened to.

I don’t expect perfection, but since some people have said they find them unusable for gaming/movie watching, I find it concerning. These are not your average Bluetooth headphones and I see that as just an extra add on, they are mainly made for USB as the primary use. Why do you focus so much on Bluetooth which you would never use for gaming? I view these as wired USB gaming headphones first, not Bluetooth headphones.

It's all good. I don't see Sankar being the type of person to cherry pick units. I see him as someone proud of his babies, per se, and wouldn't wanna give people a less than stellar experience.

I will see how these do with gaming soon enough and will give impressions whether the hiss is more audible with gaming. That is a definite possibility. So far with music however, it's def been a non-issue.

Sankar himself has asked me if the hiss is an issue and sounds concerned if it;'s a thing he may have to fix. If he had cherry picked my unit, I would think he wouldn't be concerned with what I think about a n issue with the product that isn't similar to what everyone else is listening to. IMHO.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,607 of 7,693
I haven't received mine yet, can you listen to a quiet orchestra recording and give me your thoughts about the hiss?

Care to give me an example from youtube or something? I don't have any orchestra.

So far, in quiet passages, I haven't the hiss like when there is nothing playing.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,608 of 7,693
I also find music to be much less of an issue than gaming or movies. I may ultimately keep my pair just for music. They're mostly just detracting for movies and games for me.

As I've stated before. These are actually my ultimate headphones. If they didn't have the hiss they'd literally be perfect in my eyes(ears).

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,609 of 7,693
Casting the hiss talk aside for a moment, I do feel the tonal balance/sound signature of the Mobius is every bit as good as I remember, and I don't think many people will be disappointed. They sound DAMN good.

I'm gonna leave for awhile while I give some gaming a go. I'll keep you guys updated when I come back.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #3,610 of 7,693
And the surround virtualization is incredible. To not only accurately place bass cues but to also accurately track bass cues as I spin in my chair is nothing short of extraordinary.

I really like the default preset followed closely by music although like another poster i like the music preset more with 3D activated, stops it from sounding too congested.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #3,611 of 7,693
The ones you keep bringing up that you tried at CanJam were probably not production ones and they were handpicked by Audeze, obviously they would not showcase ones with problems. So far every production unit has shown the hissing problem, now of course it’s varied from person to person, but everyone’s hearing has a different sensitivity to these things.

The problem is that everyone that has received production units in the past few days has noticed it, but no one that got to test prototype/review units mentioned it. Thus something changed from those early units to production ones, probably had higher quality parts for the prototype/review units than used in the production ones.

Yours was handpicked and sent to you by Audeze and thus is not very representative of the units that people are receiving. I’m sorry but I don’t trust handpicked units at this point, you would have received one of the best. If you would have got your own on Indiegogo and received a random unit like everyone else then I could trust your view of the hissing issue. But you said so yourself, you didn’t buy it, Sankar sent it to you.

It appears you have been sent here for damage control purposes. We still have not heard directly from Audeze on the hissing issue or all of the shipments being returned for not displaying proper lithium ion battery labeling on the boxes.

Oh come on, Mad Lust Envy has been a headphones for games reviewer on Head-Fi for almost a decade, working underpaid as a security guard and sometimes picking up a paid slot to review for Headphone Guru. He was not “sent here for damage control” by Audeze, that’s just panicking due to giving in to group think. Also, while a company can hand-pick wood with a really nice grain, or wrinkle free pads, they can’t hand pick one with a better amp design that has less hiss.

The truth almost always falls in the middle of the extreme views. No hiss? Hiss that sounds like a TV on a channel with no signal (if you can remember those days)? I haven’t heard it either, but if MLE says he can hear it a little but only when there’s no other audio to compare it to, that doesn’t sound like he’s sugar coating it to me, or going the other extreme you seem to be in the camp of. I think it’s fair, after hearing it for yourself, to decide if you are of the opinion that it is disruptive or a non-issue, for you, but objectively there probably is an audible but low-level hiss.

Like the video that was just posted said, “There’s no due process in the court of public opinion.”

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #3,612 of 7,693
I've switched to usb, and hiss is there as in Bluetooth, and like Bluetooth, goes away when listening to music. So reports are accurate. I assume the same will happen for AUX connection.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #3,613 of 7,693
Thanks Evshrug, I don't know what i'm reading here.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,614 of 7,693
It’s a very faint hiss, and would be hard to hear in any kind of noisy room. I don’t think you will find that they can provide a completely black background with all the different types of electronics that are built into the ear cups. That’s just my take on things. As I’ve said before, for my intended purpose for these, I can live with it if it can’t be fixed. I believe they did the best they can do for the price point that they’re offering these cans at. I never expected $200 headphones to compete with my Focal Utopias LOL. The hype and expectation for these was honestly off the charts IMHO.

Well, they're $400 headphones, $200 was early backers' deal, but obviously you're right that they're not going to sound like Utopias -- even half-price-MSRP Utopias. :D

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #3,615 of 7,693
Can someone verify whether the Mobius defaults to 7.1 at the driver level when connected to USB? For some reason when I go to sound control panel, it kicks me off when I click on the properties so I can't tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back