1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze Mobius Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Mar 14, 2018.
?

Are You Team Blue or Team Copper?

1. I'm Team Blue

108 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. I'm Team Copper

283 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. I Chose Both

23 vote(s)
    5.6%
First

Back
50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
Next

Last
  1. Zyker
    Yeah, I didn't just want to just repeat answers on the last one... I should have been more clear on that. I'll update it right quick.

2. misteral201103
    I am amazed at the cynicism and eagerness to criticize on display in this thread - not just with the CanJam responses but a lot of the way through. I recognize that there is a tendency to overhype an unheard/unseen product and I think it's right to guard against that. But there seems to be a strong need to cut these headphones down before properly testing - or testing at all! Though I do not own a pair of Audeze headphones, their reputation is very strong. Despite this product having been launched via a crowdfunding platform (and I understand the reasons for this in terms of initial production) I would have hoped that there was a little more faith in the company's desire and ability to bring a decent product to market at a very decent price. Additionally, I am a little disappointed in the lack of faith put in the opinions of respected team members and posters at Head-Fi.

My order on IndieGoGo stands, and I'm looking forward to discovering what these headphones are capable of when I can pick them up in the Summer.

3. MICHAELSD
    Audiophiles in these enthusiast communities are too quick to criticize in general. It takes more than a few minutes to properly judge a product. We were all concerned it would be tuned like a gaming headphone but Audeze has repeatedly said that Mobius is able to be used as a closed-back Audeze headphone for audio. The skepticism here is unfounded, especially at this price point. Audeze has done enough to convince me (not just on head-fi) that it will sound great as a $400 closed-back planar magnetic headphone.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Richter Di, JamesCanada and cskippy like this.
  4. MICHAELSD
    Also, Mobius is three products in one: a gaming headset with head-tracking capabilities, a wireless planar magnetic headphone, and an active closed-back Audeze headphone. I imagine streamlining all this functionality into one SKU helps Audeze deliver more value rather than making them three separate products.

Mobius is their only current closed-back portable headphone (Sine & EL-8 were discontinued) and the company’s answer to the demand for Bluetooth, which was the most-requested feature per Sankar. Seeing as Bluetooth makes little sense in a gaming headphone, my theory is that since Mobius would have to be active anyway they decided to make Mobius fit in more than one product segment. This isn’t just a gaming headset, but also Audeze’s current flagship wireless/closed-back headphone.

Richter Di and LajostheHun like this.
  5. AlwaysForward
    Time will tell. June is feeling a bit long off right now.

6. MICHAELSD
    If Mobius doesn’t sound as good as we anticipate, then at least we got in at pre-sale pricing. But I don’t expect that to be the case. Audeze already knows well that if the Mobius doesn’t live up to audiophile standards it will be a dud, and there’s really no reason that it wouldn’t sound great since they put so much of their latest technology into it. I’d just hope they don’t rush it to production and make sure the DSP works as well as intended.

evernessince likes this.
  7. evernessince
    Yeah, sometimes audiophiles can be funky. I see a 2/5 review on one site and another will give those same cans a 5/5. I wish there were more objective ways to test headphone performance, as right now you have to first look at the reviewer's preference and then align that with the review they did.

As someone else on this thread pointed out, the fact that no one was dissatisfied with them says allot.

MICHAELSD likes this.
  8. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    There is no way in any literal hell that the Mobius has a v shaped signature unless you have 3d on, which obviously changes the sound to be completely out of your head and away from you, in which YES the midrange or literally anything else on the sound isn't in your face. In this case, tonal balance can't be gauged in the same manner, since it no longer sounds like a headphone, but a room of speakers. Do you understand? EVERYTHING is out of your head and distant.

Either that, or someone borked around and changed the eq presets.

When I test for sound signature, I do it like any and every normal headphone, which means in plain stereo, NO 3D, at its default state. On the Mobius that means the DEFAULT preset, not its FLAT preset which is NOT the intended preset for its shipped state.

I will bet you everyone here will say it's absolutely linear warm with deep planar bass which MAY for some be as if the bass is stronger than the midrange. But we're talking relative to the many dynamic headphones that lack sub bass to begin which may be what those people are used to. If you listen to midrange centric music, you will find no 'pushed back' sense of a v shaped signature. It is warm-ish and close.

To say the treble range is definitely emphasized over the midrange, I'll have to utterly disagree with. Unless they have been used to some really treble deficient headphones, no way is this true. I find them VERY in line with one another.

I'm firm with my impressions in the tonal balance here. And I spent many days with the Mobius, in controlled rooms, with a definite understanding of its eq presets, 3d headtracking, etc.

Also I'm a fan of many signatures. I like warm neutral, bassy bright (v shaped), amongst others. I don't have a dog in the race of tonal balance.

The only argument that can be made is the bass because it is definitely powerful. But '''boosted"? I don't really think so. There's no 'hump' relative to the midrange. Maybe a harman curve-esque 2db lift? I dunno. All I know is that when someone says v shaped, they make it sound like the midrange is pushed back which is something I won't stand to ever agree with.

I've been spoiled by special midranges like that of the HD650 and LCD2. That's the kind of mid-range "level" I hear on the Mobius. Lush, full bodied. Not distant or thin.

I'm actually incredibly agitated at the notion that I'm some "shill" by that Reddit user. I'm not getting paid for this. I was asked to give impressions and feedback. But hey, they got to listen to it for 2 whole songs in a loud setting without any idea if the preset was the right one. If anyone really thinks that's the impression they should pay attention to, hey by all means.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  9. RamSpencer
    Thanks @Mad Lust Envy
    That's right... Remembering your review clearly now. I'm going to like these a lot. Was temporarily slightly worried for a minute there.

10. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Look, I'm somewhat of a chameleon when it comes to headphones. My ears adapt and I can find the positives out of most headphones worth their two cents, regardless of sound profile they may have.

But I can without question say that the default preset, stereo mode sounds of the Mobius, purely as a music headphone has really addictive, deeeeeep bass, full bodied midrange, and more or less linear treble relative to the midrange.

I wasn't impressed by its stereo soundstage width, which is typical of planars, but it has depth. Again I don't put much stock on soundstage when listening to music. That's just me. Soundstage is important to me on other fronts.

I don't remember hearing anything shrill or peaky in its treble, and I'm someone who is currently messing with a Beyerdynamic MMX300 which is essentially a newer DT770/32ohm with a mic. THAT has some strong peaks in the treble and is clearly v shaped. (Though spoilers, is still and excellent sounding headset in many regards). The midrange on the Mobius is superior by a considerable margin, iirc.

What I'm trying to say is that, unless some people are expecting miracles, I just don't see how anyone can be disappointed by the Mobius unless they are expecting a completely different sound signature.

Edit: looking back at my review, I argued that the treble may be neutral to just a hint BELOW neutral. That's the OPPOSITE of v shaped, where it'd be emphasized. So yeah, dunno where people are getting v shaped from.

MICHAELSD and AlwaysForward like this.
  11. cskippy
    I think people were saying the v shape is with the 3D processing on. As long as there are a couple presets or a user adjustable EQ program I am more than okay!

12. Levanter
    There could also be the issue of headphone variance among different units. I think I recalled Audeze had that issue with their LCD2s years ago.
    Maybe you could request for a few to test on quality control and consistency.

13. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    That could be possible. But I have a feeling it's more on the listening conditions, possible eq preset change if accidental or the 3d button being on. The 3d Button being on may have absolutely changed the tonal the character of the headphone. That's just the nature of the beast known as surround processing. If it's the latter, I can forgive the v shaped statement. If it's an eq preset change, well, they definitely should've made sure with whomever was on hand for Audeze.

They should also elaborate on how they were listening to the Audeze to gauge the tonal balance. It's unfair to any headphone to say what tonality they have with any surround processing turned on, as those processings can and will change tonal balance. For instance, Dolby Headphone is known for being a warm dsp that can even mitigate the DT990's prolific treble spike. And CMSS 3D is known for the opposite. It makes things sound shrill and treble heavy. I can't say exactly how the Mobius 3D button alters the tonal balance, as I was too busy trying to gauge the Mobius inherent signature without 3D, and was busier with understanding the 3D button's effect on the soundstage, and positional accuracy, less of the tonal shift it may/may not have had. I'll check for that next time. I apologize for not really delving deeply into that area. I'm too used to dsps altering sq that it's an expected side effect, and not what IS inherent in a headphone. That being said the Mobius 3D belongs to the Mobius and therefore I should definitely account for the changes.

14. RRod
    And once again, an argument that could be solved by a few sine sweep measurements on a dummy head.

15. AlwaysForward
    We could also just chill on the idea of arguing and see what they sound like in 8-12 weeks.

givemetacos likes this.
First

Back
50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
Next

Last