• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #6,782 of 7,693
@CosmicConcerto The idea of the head tracking is that is a sound is to your rear left for example, turning your head only slightly to the left makes that sound more dominant in the left ear cup, confirming it's position. It is really good for sounds directly behind you as the sound will increase in which ever side of you head you have turned to pick up the sound. Unfortunately bluetooth technology does not allow the pass through of information for more than stereo but Audeze always made this clear, ie that 7.1 and head tracking would be usb only. Most FPS gamers would not have any real problem with this "limitation" given how long it has taken for wireless mouse to be accepted and the concerns about latency in signal transfer!
I have been using the mobius on USB c for 3 days now in Tarkov and PUBG and there is no way I would go back to my Audio Technica's

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #6,783 of 7,693
Re: PC -- in my scenario, pairing it with a PC defaulted to the bluetooth communications device and not the standard audio. as a communications device, it sounded terribad... perhaps this is what you are running into?
Yeah I guess. First I thought it could have something to do with the bluetooth transmitter connected to my PC, but I don't know. I was thinking before I really knew that they would have some kind of USB with soundcard, like G933.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #6,784 of 7,693
Hi guys, try this audio/video file with VLC and Mobius, it's very cool :)

550fb721698ad5352e02f0d5bb1843f1.jpg

This one, too.

I like the dts 11.1 callout
http://s1.demo-world.eu/hd_trailers.php?file=dts_sound_unbound_callout_11.1_lossless-DWEU.mkv

Also try the object emulator
http://s1.demo-world.eu/hd_trailers.php?file=dts_x_object_emulator_lossless-DWEU.mkv

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #6,787 of 7,693
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #6,788 of 7,693
Mine has been here for about three days now, and I love it, although so far, I have only been listening to movies with it, in the 3d/7.1 mode. It is completely quiet when nothing is playing on it. I can hear zero hissing, and I have been thoroughly impressed with what I'm hearing... I have not been curious about listening to 2 channel music with it in hi rez mode, since I have my other cans (e.g. the LCD-X, the He-1000 etc etc)for that... Although I guess sooner or later, I shall give the music/hi rez setting a try..., just to satisfy my curiousity

What I want to know now is whether it has been officially established if this unit gets better with "burn in"... I think I am noticing some improvements/enhancements in different aspects of the 3d sounds, as I put more and more hours on it, and I want to be sure that I am . not just imagining it.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #6,789 of 7,693
What I want to know now is whether it has been officially established if this unit gets better with "burn in"... I think I am noticing some improvements/enhancements in different aspects of the 3d sounds, as I put more and more hours on it, and I want to be sure that I am . not just imagining it.

I havent noticed any changes. The only time ive noticed a change from out of the box was with hifiman he400is, first listen they sounded like grados or porta pros, after overnight pink noise they sounded normal.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #6,790 of 7,693
I'm starting to feel the same way as you. Seems like a lot of the negative reviews are from the gamers. For a headphone targetted at gaming they've made some pretty odd decisions like SideTone, making it bluetooth instead of 2.4GHz (can't do surround 7.1 unless you're plugged in, not totally bad since you're sitting there anyway), inability to turn off headtracking without disabling everything else (especially since its not equivalent to a TrackIR. And when its important to pinpoint where sound is coming from in a game why would you want the sound stage to move around with your head?)

I'm considering selling mine on ebay, but I guess I better do it before they get anymore bad press. I will admit they are the most advanced headphones, but they advanced in the wrong areas for gaming IMO.

I thought I was getting ingame head tracking and amazing wireless surround sound, but that's just not the case.

I dont know if you have been following the development of these, but ingame headtracking and wireless surround was never promised. The initial marketing may have been slightly confusing, but all the information audeze put out over the course of the campaign and the following months should have made it more clear. The head tracking was always advertised as in reference to its own sound field, not that it would transmit your head tracking to any games (of course, I would imagine games would need to add support for it anyways). And while there is bluetooth, it has been discussed many many times that the only way to get surround sound on these is via usb. Never once have I seen it mentioned that you could do the full 7.1 surround with 3d and headtracking via bluetooth. Yes, head tracking and 3d is available in bluetooth, but for stereo.

You ask why you would want the soundstage to move around with your head... you wouldnt, hence the head tracking, to keep the soundstage stationary. Which is why I am so excited to try these out with a game, since all other virtual surround solutions I have tried have been fixed to my head. The difference here is that your viewport in game is separate from the headtracking. Your viewport moves as you move in game, but would you really want your head movements to control your viewport? The way it was always described to me is that the game will have its own viewport, with surround that is fixed to where you look in the game. The mobius with its head tracked surround, is emulating speakers, but speakers that stay fixed where they are, just like real speakers would. So even though you now sort of have two different surrounds going on, it makes sense to me.

Have there been many negative reviews? Most of what I have read about it has been pretty glowing, but then again I have mostly hung around these forums. Either way, not trying to convince you one way or another to keep them or not. If they arent right for you, thats fine, its just that they were never advertised as what you seem to want them to be.

Either way, my pair just arrived a little while ago, time to go play!

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #6,791 of 7,693
I dont know if you have been following the development of these, but ingame headtracking and wireless surround was never promised. The initial marketing may have been slightly confusing, but all the information audeze put out over the course of the campaign and the following months should have made it more clear. The head tracking was always advertised as in reference to its own sound field, not that it would transmit your head tracking to any games (of course, I would imagine games would need to add support for it anyways). And while there is bluetooth, it has been discussed many many times that the only way to get surround sound on these is via usb. Never once have I seen it mentioned that you could do the full 7.1 surround with 3d and headtracking via bluetooth. Yes, head tracking and 3d is available in bluetooth, but for stereo.

You ask why you would want the soundstage to move around with your head... you wouldnt, hence the head tracking, to keep the soundstage stationary. Which is why I am so excited to try these out with a game, since all other virtual surround solutions I have tried have been fixed to my head. The difference here is that your viewport in game is separate from the headtracking. Your viewport moves as you move in game, but would you really want your head movements to control your viewport? The way it was always described to me is that the game will have its own viewport, with surround that is fixed to where you look in the game. The mobius with its head tracked surround, is emulating speakers, but speakers that stay fixed where they are, just like real speakers would. So even though you now sort of have two different surrounds going on, it makes sense to me.

Have there been many negative reviews? Most of what I have read about it has been pretty glowing, but then again I have mostly hung around these forums. Either way, not trying to convince you one way or another to keep them or not. If they arent right for you, thats fine, its just that they were never advertised as what you seem to want them to be.

Either way, my pair just arrived a little while ago, time to go play!

I guess I can see what you're getting at. Being able to turn your head slightly toward a sound and confirming it's direction just like real multi-speaker surround sound. I failed to make that comparison because typically even when I'm using my surround speakers, I'm not moving my head around looking away from the monitor. All the action is in front of me, why would I look away? Also if you've seen videos of TrackIR you'd get what I mean. Via USB it could have been done, or via a USB transmitter on 2.4GHz band like the Corsair Void Pro. It would be pretty immersive to slightly turn your head to pinpoint a sound and also have the camera move with you like looking over your shoulder and seeing that monster coming up behind you.

The more I consider people's replies to my posts though, I can see like you said, this would have to be implemented in the game. It's pretty common in sims like Mechwarrior, Elite Dangerous, and Flight Sims, and Racing to have directional looking while the orientation of the characters body stays pointing forward. But in First Person games the camera facing is usually tied directly to the character facing and it wouldn't make sense to turn your head and have your character turn as well (like Robocop).

With these considerations I'll need to concede that head tracking to control sound is more desirable than head tracking to control camera. Although, considering I saved money on IGG, I might just buy the TrackIR and have both separately.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #6,792 of 7,693
@CosmicConcerto The idea of the head tracking is that is a sound is to your rear left for example, turning your head only slightly to the left makes that sound more dominant in the left ear cup, confirming it's position. It is really good for sounds directly behind you as the sound will increase in which ever side of you head you have turned to pick up the sound. Unfortunately bluetooth technology does not allow the pass through of information for more than stereo but Audeze always made this clear, ie that 7.1 and head tracking would be usb only. Most FPS gamers would not have any real problem with this "limitation" given how long it has taken for wireless mouse to be accepted and the concerns about latency in signal transfer!
I have been using the mobius on USB c for 3 days now in Tarkov and PUBG and there is no way I would go back to my Audio Technica's

I'll concede you have more wisdom in this than I do. I see your points, thanks.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #6,793 of 7,693
I guess I can see what you're getting at. Being able to turn your head slightly toward a sound and confirming it's direction just like real multi-speaker surround sound. I failed to make that comparison because typically even when I'm using my surround speakers, I'm not moving my head around looking away from the monitor. All the action is in front of me, why would I look away? Also if you've seen videos of TrackIR you'd get what I mean. Via USB it could have been done, or via a USB transmitter on 2.4GHz band like the Corsair Void Pro. It would be pretty immersive to slightly turn your head to pinpoint a sound and also have the camera move with you like looking over your shoulder and seeing that monster coming up behind you.

The more I consider people's replies to my posts though, I can see like you said, this would have to be implemented in the game. It's pretty common in sims like Mechwarrior, Elite Dangerous, and Flight Sims, and Racing to have directional looking while the orientation of the characters body stays pointing forward. But in First Person games the camera facing is usually tied directly to the character facing and it wouldn't make sense to turn your head and have your character turn as well (like Robocop).

With these considerations I'll need to concede that head tracking to control sound is more desirable than head tracking to control camera. Although, considering I saved money on IGG, I might just buy the TrackIR and have both separately.

I have seen a few games with trackIR support, but I know it has to be implemented in game, and personally I just dont really play the type of games often that it would benefit from most. However, I can see how it might be useful with these. Its just that these would then have to follow the trackIR protocol (if thats even possible) or games would have to implement something totally different. Again though, that was just never what was marketed or advertised to us.

As far as turning your head slightly, yes, that is I think how 3d surround is supposed to function with headtracking. but not just that, even tiny little movements that you otherwise wouldnt perceive are supposed to be enough to help pinpoint sound direction. Its all supposed to essentially emulate fixed speakers. So while I know its called head tracking, you can almost think of it oppositely. In that when you move your head, the head tracking follows your head in order to keep the sound in the same place, instead of rotating around your head with you, as it would with non head tracked vss.

Also, as I said before, I am not trying to convince you one way or the other that you should love these, I get it if they arent for you. Only that I think its good to have an understanding of what they actually are. And I dot know the marketing at first was definitely confusing and people were going around making all kinds of assumptions about what these would be able to do.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #6,794 of 7,693
@CosmicConcerto Also the degree to which you have to turn your head to differentiate the sound direction can be surprisingly small, especially with a little tweaking of the room ambience setting. It does however take a while to appreciate the feature I suppose compared to conventional headphones our brains are not expecting what the Mobius can do, all of my life I've had ordinary phones like Senn's, Jecklin Float etc and now LCD x. It is however well worth the time required to adjust to the new perspective,

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #6,795 of 7,693
For a headphone targetted at gaming they've made some pretty odd decisions like SideTone, making it bluetooth instead of 2.4GHz (can't do surround 7.1 unless you're plugged in, not totally bad since you're sitting there anyway),
We have never advertised it as a 2.4Ghz unit. The issue with both 2.4 Ghz and Bluetooth is, the current chipsets in the market support only 2 channel audio. There is a 5.1 BT AptX spec, but not supported much. We also need to keep the head-tracking latency very low to create immersive audio. If the lag is high, then the quality of audio suffers. So sending the HT information back to the host and back for 7.1 would create too much latency.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back