• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #5,014 of 7,693
This isn't reflection of all headphones but it gives you an idea of latencies between the different codecs.

eplxt.jpg

Your best bet is something with AAC even though it'll still not be ideal. You absolutely do not want SBC for gaming. Avantree's proprietary Fast Stream is 70ms and is responsive enough, but the Mobius doesn't support it. It might be connected to AptX, hence why my Portapro reads it, but the Mobius doesn't. I'll test the Creative Soundblaster Jam to see which it defaults to.

Now... LDAC is a low latency codec, and having JUST talked to Sankar of Audeze about it, he has his reasons why it was chosen over aptX.

His reasoning has convinced me, and I can't divulge, but it makes ALL the sense, particularly with the way the future is heading.

Me and some of you guys that use dongles are part of a niche, while Audeze is thinking about mass market where LDAC is only becoming bigger and bigger.

He did clarify though that AptX LL is limited to things like dongles. Mobile devices don't support it.

The only thing that is uncertain is what the latency numbers of LDAC is. In my case it's not an issue since I only use my phone for non-gaming use.

Perhaps in the future, there will be dongles that support LDAC. That is best case scenario.

He could've chosen AptX but it's a competing product to LDAC so it was one or the other, and trust me, you want LDAC.

So in our use case we are 'currently' out of luck with devices to transmit to Mobius, but the future may be quite different.

I believe you that there are obviously reasons they chose not to include both LDAC and aptX, and I'm confident given the smart people there that they thought it through, but lest we be left with the impression that it's strictly speaking always an "either/or" on aptX and LDAC, that's incorrect. The Radsone EarStudio ES100 receiver, for example, supports LDAC, aptX, aptX HD, and AAC. It supports all of them.

I'm sure that given some other design or business constraints we're not aware of for Audeze it became an "either/or" in Mobius, but just wanted to point out that it's not universally an "either/or" at all.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #5,015 of 7,693
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #5,016 of 7,693
Very interesting... All but the SINE DX are Out Of Stock!

Right, and the SINE DX are open or semi-open, as I recall, so even further removed from being a Mobius competitor, but in any case Adueze pointed out that Mobius does have the Fluxor Magenetic Technology.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #5,017 of 7,693
...but in any case Adueze pointed out that Mobius does have the Fluxor Magenetic Technology.
I've only heard the non-Fluxor/FAZOR LCD's, so there's a lot of new tech coming my ear's way.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #5,018 of 7,693
Worth $399, for a stereo headphone + virtual surround gaming headset/headphone? What's it's weakness?

$399 is relatively expensive for a headphone but it’s Audeze and it has enough features to justify its price, not the least of which being the planar magnetic drivers. The head-tracking adds about $99-$149 in value. Depending on who you are the onboard DAC/amp/Bluetooth can add value as well.

Its weaknesses are the lack of isolation (which is fine for me since I use them at home and don’t prefer ANC) and its 10-hour battery life which isn’t great for a headphone that can’t be used passively at all. It’s important to realize what Mobius is and isn’t. Travelers may still want an ANC headphone to take on planes.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #5,019 of 7,693
$399 is relatively expensive for a headphone but it’s Audeze and it has enough features to justify its price, not the least of which being the planar magnetic drivers. The head-tracking adds about $99-$149 in value. Depending on who you are the onboard DAC/amp/Bluetooth can add value as well.

Its weaknesses are the lack of isolation (which is fine for me since I use them at home and don’t prefer ANC) and its 10-hour battery life which isn’t great for a headphone that can’t be used passively at all. It’s important to realize what Mobius is and isn’t. Travelers may still want an ANC headphone to take on planes.

But...but it isolates perfectly fine? Certainly as good as any non-ANC over ear I can remember.

If I had a choice of ANC or none, I'd always choose none. ANC makes me nauseous.

10 hours is pretty good IMO, AND it's not like you can't charge it while it's in use. Especially if you're using the USB mode to begin with.

If anything, bring a portable battery bank? A high capacity one ain't expensive either. It's good form to have one handy nowadays in case your phone dies, etc. I always have a 10000 one in my backpack that I always take with me.

ANC is such a specific use case, may as well just have an IEM for those situations or something. I dunno. I mean I get it, it's a feature the Mobius doesn't have, but personally, if it was ANC or any other feature, I'd take the other, but I'm not always on planes and stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #5,020 of 7,693
But...but it isolates perfectly fine? Certainly as good as any non-ANC over ear I can remember.

If I had a choice of ANC or none, I'd always choose none. ANC makes me nauseous.

10 hours is pretty good IMO, AND it's not like you can't charge it while it's in use. Especially if you're using the USB mode to begin with.

If anything, bring a portable battery bank? A high capacity one ain't expensive either. It's good form to have one handy nowadays in case your phone dies, etc. I always have a 10000 one in my backpack that I always take with me.

I agree with all of the points made here. I recently just backed a power bank from Energizer on massdrop as well, it has a wireless charging mode and its 10,000 mah capacity. great deal at $34 shipped.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #5,021 of 7,693
I agree with all of the points made here. I recently just backed a power bank from Energizer on massdrop as well, it has a wireless charging mode and its 10,000 mah capacity. great deal at $34 shipped.

I have one with QI charging as well as usb c, usb 3.0. Definitely handy though I mainly use it now to power the Bluetooth transmitter. I've used it like 16 hours straight and the battery bank still says 100% lol. The transmitter sips power I guess.

What sucks about it is that if it fully charged something, it turns off, so a device that's on may lose power if you just leave it attached and left powered on. This is why I don't use it for my phone if it's overnight or something.

As for ANC, the Mobius is marketed as gaming headset first. I could understand if it was heavily marketed for planes and stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #5,022 of 7,693
Its weaknesses are the lack of isolation
I thought closed back = isolated? At least compared to open, cmon! =p Never heard noise cancelling. Has to be quiet enough...

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #5,024 of 7,693
So this is the first amp that Audeze has made, right? What would be a high-end version of Mobius; Mobius with an external amp..? ;p

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #5,025 of 7,693
Nevermind !!!!! I changed my mind about leaving a comment , except to say ; "It is what it is"

I guess "Active" Headphones just aren't for you !
yeap it is what it is and that's the weakness. It may last 10 hours but that is on the premise of you remembering to charge it often, an additional step that has to be made which I sometimes forget to do for my arctis 7 then my headphones gets cut off during middle of gaming after 30 minutes of low batt warning lol.

I supported it so I am still eagerly waiting it, be it active or passive, if it sounds great, I am onboard! I just have to make the effort to remember to charge it aha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back