• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,961 of 7,693
Glad to hear a fix is coming for the hiss issue. Hopefully it won't cause any serious delay... Waiting patiently (actually impatiently) lol.

Hear ya, I should really log off for a few hours lol...

Just hoping for an update from DHL soon so I can know whether to wait to sign for a delivery or not.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #3,963 of 7,693
Regarding Sidetone, Microphone and noise

Microphone can be muted and/or removed. Microphone volume can also be lowered or increased. The low level noise that was reported is not related to the sidetone or microphone.

At present the sidetone is mixed at a constant gain that is designed to be non-intrusive. One could alter the mic sensitivity by changing the mic volume to get bit more control on sidetone.

ps: And yes we will post an update today regarding our diagnosis and fix of the noise issue that was reported

Wow; Okay. I know my own voice, I do not want to hear it in my ears. A lot don't care what you designed it -for-. You forgot an off switch. Just update the firmware or software and we can move on with having a user preference. I already have 5-10 other voices in my head, I do not want a forced on feature; additionally SOFTWARE tells you these things for vocal diagnostics and you are forgetting again usage cases for ALL gamers.

That's just a tone deaf response to a sidetone feature being always on and simply stating it's going to get patched as an on/off feature would be preferred. Manufactures have tried this before and backed down from an always on option.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #3,966 of 7,693
But in UK we are going to bed now : 23:54 :).

"I have great respect for the U.K. United Kingdom. Great respect. People call it Britain. They call it Great Britain. They used to call it England, different parts." :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #3,967 of 7,693
I actually like sidetone on my headsets. For me it's useful to hear my voice so I'm not yelling on the mic annoying my teammates. Sidetone is nice and unobtrusive when I'v e used it. It's easier to keep track of your own voice so you don't mess up while speaking as much. At least that's how it helps me. Also lowering mic volume usually turns the sidetone down to a level that isn't even audible.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #3,968 of 7,693
A lot of people like sidetone it’s usually one of the most requested features for gaming headsets. I understand if people havent used it for communication but without it you end up yelling because you can’t hear yourself due to the closed nature of the headphones. As usual a small vocal minority voices it’s opinions for everyone.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,969 of 7,693
Would sidetone be enabled even when using the mic for phone calls or as a headset with I.e. an Xbox? I would try it but could definitely see a desire for user control.

By the way, if you’ve never taken a phone call on a planar magnetic headphone prepare to be blown away by the quality. On my EL-8 it almost sounds more realistic than if the person was actually standing there... (Though I do use my AirPods for phone calls so they may be onto something with the sidetone.)

Logging off till the next update :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,970 of 7,693
Another vote for monitoring my voice while gaming and/or streaming. This isn't just to modulate my volume, it is also to hear the quality and content of what my team mates or audience is hearing so I can tell if any of my settings are screwed up (compression, EQ, etc., my voice must be #1 smexy for the audience of 4). I currently game with open headphones (HD800) and still find monitoring useful, but when I game with closed backs I can't imagine being without it! At first it was awkward, but quickly adjusted to and ultimately valued. Obviously making it optional is ideal, but if the option is either always on or always off, I choose always on.

If you don't wanna hear your own voice... then stop talking lol.

Also, saw the below on the way home. "Hai mah bruh, u haz Mobius plz?"
2018-08-03 18.13.52.jpg

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #3,971 of 7,693
Would sidetone be enabled even when using the mic for phone calls or as a headset with I.e. an Xbox? I would try it but could definitely see a desire for user control.

By the way, if you’ve never taken a phone call on a planar magnetic headphone prepare to be blown away by the quality. On my EL-8 it almost sounds more realistic than if the person was actually standing there... (Though I do use my AirPods for phone calls so they may be onto something with the sidetone.)

Logging off till the next update :)
You don't happen to be the same Michaelsd I see posting on Slickdeals do ya? For example in the Senn BB crazy coupon thread yesterday? If not, crazy coincidence, there is a MichaelSD there who also has HD1s :D. I am "Mike C" over there...

I haven't read anyone's feedback on what they think of the mic that ships with the Mobius? Did I miss it in impressions posted here so far? Relative to say a modmicv4/v5 lets say? I am not super concerned about this since the mic is up-gradable, but if the upgrade isn't necessary that would be pretty darn cool... excepting I will have to find SOMETHING to mod, a thing isn't my thing until I have modded it somehow :wink:.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #3,972 of 7,693
You don't happen to be the same Michaelsd I see posting on Slickdeals do ya? For example in the Senn BB crazy coupon thread yesterday? If not, crazy coincidence, there is a MichaelSD there who also has HD1s :D. I am "Mike C" over there...

I haven't read anyone's feedback on what they think of the mic that ships with the Mobius? Did I miss it in impressions posted here so far? Relative to say a modmicv4/v5 lets say? I am not super concerned about this since the mic is up-gradable, but if the upgrade isn't necessary that would be pretty darn cool... excepting I will have to find SOMETHING to mod, a thing isn't my thing until I have modded it somehow :wink:.

Yup, I am the same MICHAELSD :). Absolutely love that site! There are so many headphone deals in a year it’s crazy. I posted about Mobius there when the campaign started and it gained a lot of traction and would have became a front-page deal if it wasn’t removed due to crowdfunding understandably not being allowed.

That was a crazy thread! Somebody at Sennheiser definitely screwed up/took the lazy route by making a 60% coupon code for Best Buy employees and having it be a simple promo code anybody could use.

(I know I said I’d log off but this tab was open in my browser and automatically refreshed... :p)

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #3,973 of 7,693
Another vote for monitoring my voice while gaming and/or streaming. This isn't just to modulate my volume, it is also to hear the quality and content of what my team mates or audience is hearing so I can tell if any of my settings are screwed up (compression, EQ, etc., my voice must be #1 smexy for the audience of 4). I currently game with open headphones (HD800) and still find monitoring useful, but when I game with closed backs I can't imagine being without it! At first it was awkward, but quickly adjusted to and ultimately valued. Obviously making it optional is ideal, but if the option is either always on or always off, I choose always on.

If you don't wanna hear your own voice... then stop talking lol.

Also, saw the below on the way home. "Hai mah bruh, u haz Mobius plz?"

Okay, since we are going there but I'll do it without the flame. You want an always on hardware feature yet didn't even point out the other usage cases that are not your own world. We got software that exists to take care of this for you; but can't just ignore all the other usage cases that want a hardware on that have got nothing to do with your personal streaming ecosystem. Again nobody can possibly bring up all usage cases... Want some more pros for why it should be an On/Off and not an always on? VR immersion is vastly different than immersion even when just focused on the same single player game experience. Lots of people including myself would want sidetone in a VR game on. In VR this takes away the 'bubble' effect and helps make you feel more 'in the moment' of the game as it takes away the feeling you are outside yourself. This is a case you'd want perhaps even more sidetone; to hear your breath etc. Now even in that same single player game but non VR; I wouldn't want that side tone, that breathing and for a bunch of other factors would take away from the immersion, and I'd not even want the hint of the noise on a extremely quiet scene, specially if I wanted to scare the crap out of myself.

Now talk about competition gaming, where we do not want the ambient noise in our own environment picked up -at all- in our ears. How about people with loud keyboards? OR lets go play a MOBA where we click 1000 times in a minute. People don't want to hear their child/wife/girlfriend who's watching TV while their dog barks, or the fan which goes towards cooling their house or PC always in their own ears and when we use push to talk to cut the background down we also don't want that carried over into our own ears in those cases we are trying to minimize the impact of unfix-able noise on both ourselves and our friends. They all want to focus their hearing of the game cues. If the mic can pickup a fan and broadcast that into my own ears, the excuse "stop talking" or "get a quieter fan" goes out the window when you start inconveniencing the user along with comparing the HUGE array of usage cases we all use for gaming. Which is why I said go to an on off and let's move on. We could go on for DAYS about usage cases, but lowering mic volume is NOT a solution to decreasing sidetone. We could dig up archives on the headsets pull up years of topics to exhaustion. It's great we can have those spaces setup for convenience but I know many gamers that cannot and those guys need to be included. "Get used to it" is not an acceptable answer in 2018 for a premium headset.

That's WITHOUT even including the added phone usage cases while gaming or jumping into details about the Lombard effect (shouting cause you can't hear your own voice). So do not say at the end of it all it's just easier to have one thing for everyone. It's not, the usage of it and the demand change with what features you are using and the environment.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #3,974 of 7,693
There should be an option to turn side talk on or off, honestly. Apparently some people value it, and some people don't.

I'm not accustomed to using a headset, I use headphones normally and a seperate USB mic. This would be my first actually gaming headset. I've never had any issue with "yelling" into the mic - do people really need to hear themselves to know if they are telling? lol

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #3,975 of 7,693
That's WITHOUT even including the added phone usage cases while gaming. So do not say at the end of it all it's just easier to have one thing for everyone. It's not, the usage of it and the demand change with what features you are using and the environment.

Sorry man, the "stop talking" thing was a joke :). I totally agree and stated that the ideal is to make it optional on or off. And if we were to take votes because we could only choose always on or always off, I personally would choose always on for my pair. I am not saying that people who would pick always off are wrong.

Here is a completely IMHO part. I do play in competitions... only regional, and I am garbage; we don't have to qualify for the tournaments I play in to help categorize :D, but it is still hella fun! And it is still serious enough for us that sound matters. I would be super pissed if I got blind sided because I didn't hear a queue because my squad mate wasn't monitoring and had no idea that he started making a crapload of noise and I didn't have a chance to tell him before I got killed.

Anyway... we also play a lot of for funsies squad games too (not FN tho :D). The point is that gaming is a big part of our life... often the only time to relax and have fun that some of us have. If your background noise is obnoxious enough that you don't wanna hear it in your own ears your team mates probably don't want to hear it either, even if they are polite enough not to say so :). This is part of what I listen for and why I monitor, to make sure that my being inconsiderate isn't a thing. This is also why I rock a dynamic mic at home, why I don't play with cherry blues and have double orings installed on my KB, etc. Big picture I don't want to screw with my mates' downtime. In most of the groups I play in, if someone has annoying stuff going on in their background and doesn't deal with it asap, they will get muted and kicked from the squad until they sort it out. It isn't personal. Beside being annoying, it indeed can mask queues like footsteps, it makes squad communication harder if it is really obnoxious, and for the streamers in the group, garbage noise is a huge turn off for viewers. PTT helps a lot... but if you are in constant communication with your squad, it ain't enough, it is still pretty inconsiderate. So again, IMHO... being obnoxious to your mates isn't a great use case to justify "always off"... if that was an argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back