• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 31, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #3,646 of 7,693
I feel you. I probably would be driven up the wall if I had to listen to the Mixamp 5.8 or Mixamp 2013 hiss by itself.

The hiss on the Mobius is less in volume so I don't think it'd bother me if it's the only thing that played, but then again I'm used to having a fan on constantly or the fan noise from my PC, alongside the AC unit, so my tolerance for background noise is probably higher than others.

I have whatever the most current PS4 Mixamp Pro TR. Is that supposed to have any hiss? I don’t use the Dolby SS though. I don’t personally like what surround sound does to the treble and bass so I leave it off. Otherwise I am using Philips X2’s (Open) as my main headphones. If there is any hiss, I never noticed it.

Either way, add me to the camp that would be completely fine with Audeze delaying my shipment until they looked into this, if it does become something that they deem worthy to delay and look to fix.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3,648 of 7,693
I know Mad pretty well; I joined head-fi before him, but his gaming headphone review thread got me to stay and actually get invested in headphones. So, yes I am going to point out that he has an easy to trace history documented through his years on Head-Fi. I don’t always 100% agree with him (He has a taste for a bit more bass than me, while I’m crazy about soundstage, but overall we’re not far off), but calling him an agent on “damage control” was a bit too much.

I admit I’m relatively new to head-fi only, started looking here for research purposes about a year and a half ago and only started contributing on this thread. But I have been in this thread every day since the announcement and so I know how a lot of the regulars in this thread think, but I don’t recall either you or “Mad” posting in here since March and I honestly don’t have the time to go and read a bunch of your things from the past in other threads to know you’re thinking. I’m glad that you summarized his here.

The “damage control” was an impulsive addition on my original post mainly because Mad’s first three posts were really trying to downplay and write off the main issue in this thread for the past day. I’m sure it rubbed a lot of us the wrong way; honestly, there has been a lot of bad timing happening in the past day. He eventually started lightening up in future posts seeing our point of view on the issue more.

He also though viciously counter attacked me as a perfection expecting nutcase, the true irony there is that my first contributions in this thread were trying downplay people’s expectations that Mobius will be LCD level sound quality (for the same reasoning as Mad, that you can’t expect the same quality level out of $400 all-in-one headphones compared to a proper dedicated setup that costs thousands) and I was attacked for that. Please, no one start that back up again, I’m just pointing out that I’m not a perfection expecting nutcase, far from it, I don't believe perfection exists. Just know that many of the people in this thread have much higher expectations out of Mobius than my own.

I was in the first 300 backers in the wee hours of Indiegogo launch (my first Indiegogo/Kickstarter) because of my trust in Audeze. That said the hissing issue came out of nowhere and since I got these for gaming I could definitely see when it gets quiet in a game that it could annoy the crap out of me, so it is concerning and I’m glad Audeze is looking into it. I also don’t mine waiting longer if this issue can be resolved.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,649 of 7,693
Audeze HQ Application for PC (Beta)

We have made the companion app for Mobius available
here. Please note that the app is still in beta and will be updated in the coming weeks. The download page is also a placeholder and will likely undergo changes in the coming days.

This is a PC only application, apps for OSX and mobile platforms are under development.

The app will allow you to personalize your HRTF and also allow you to change the perceived room size/ambiance. The room ambiance can be changed in real time to help you choose the level that you are most satisfied with.

Note: HRTF personalization requires you to input accurate head geometry and needs to be saved for the change to take effect. Though entering inaccurate values will not have a dramatic effect, entering accurate values that fits your head would improve imaging and focus.

Please note that currently, the app will detect your Mobius only when it is connected via USB and powered on and in 8 channel mode.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,650 of 7,693
I'm new hear so go easy, though I have followed this thread in it's entirety. I am somewhat relieved that Audeze have addressed both the issues that arose today and I eagerly await their view on the subject of 'hissgate'. For gaming atm I use Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X, (same as the one's used by Summit - for you gamers/twitch watchers out there. They are very good in all regards but the Mobius I believe offers so much more in sound stage combined with head tracking. Primarily I play Tarkov and a little PUBG and I have to say that in these games at no point would there be total silence so I, personally, do not perceive a low level of hiss to be an issue. If it is pronounced it could be a concern for movie watchers where dead silence preempts a jump scare or indeed orchestral pieces. I don't expect the Mobius to replace my proper headphones, LCD-X's, paired with a Naim DAC-V1, which I just love for music, but for the movies and gaming, I'm a little piqued. ( Just can't wait like the majority of you)
Old saying : welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet:)

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,651 of 7,693
@musicday Thank you and - I know, have just got into hi-fi again after about 20 years and I reckon that absence saved me at least 50k GBP. Now all I have to do is be happy with my setup and divorce myself from the outside world. (Oh hell, did I just join this forum, whoops)

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,652 of 7,693
As to KMann's announcements ... crap! I'd rather receive my unit and decide myself if these aging ears can hear or mind the hiss!

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,653 of 7,693
@musicday Thank you and - I know, have just got into hi-fi again after about 20 years and I reckon that absence saved me at least 50k GBP. Now all I have to do is be happy with my setup and divorce myself from the outside world. (Oh hell, did I just join this forum, whoops)

Well, it’s trouble if you hang out on the Deals thread (nice people there, but also nice deals)... but the discussion threads can be amicable (you’ll end up giving advice and setup tips), and you can also pick up a lot of music suggestions, share photos, and sometimes talk directly to the companies and vendors that make the stuff you like, pick their brain about features and design stories. Plenty to do around here, though I agree it takes quite a bit of willpower to “stick with the plan” and not buy new stuff, even if you are already in love with what you have.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3,654 of 7,693
I am so pleased to read that the Audeze CEO himself is looking into this and will fix it asap.
No guys let's stop worrying about the hiss and discuss more about this wonderful headphone. Anyone watched any 5.1 or 7.1 movies and what exactly are they called for further references.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,655 of 7,693
Anyone watched any 5.1 or 7.1 movies and what exactly are they called for further references.

For 5.1/7.1 movies, this link provides some great suggestions for you to try out.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #3,657 of 7,693
Want some movie names from the people who watched them using the Mobius headphones, but thanks anyway.

Sheesh....just trying to help. I’m watching Last Jedi and it sounds fantastic if you need a specific reference from a Mobius owner. I’m sure all the ones in that link sound great too.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,658 of 7,693
2 things:
1- My pair is shipping back to Audeze tomorrow morning for testing.

2- I just figured out how to get to the HiFi mode and HOLY AUDEZE. Yeap. This is the sound you audiophiles are looking for. These are now 100% pushing the iSine20 w/Cipher on just about every aspect. The soundstage definitely has improved localization as well, I think due to the better treble cues. Yeah. These are the real deal. I can defo deal with marginal noise for this kind of sound on my head.

Remember when I said that they didn't illicit my "OMG you HAVE to hear these" reaction like the iSine does? Well throw that out the window. HiFi mode will make you spit out your coffee and scream from the mountain.

And in this mode, "Default" is greatly preferred over "Music" for me.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #3,659 of 7,693
I've been playing Destiny 2 since my last post, and haven't had any issues with the hiss being prevalent or distracting.

All I know is that so far, if I had bought this unit, I would be 99% happy.

I think people forget that in video games, even quiet moments usually have SOME ambience which is enough to take away from the hiss.

I dunno. Just don't see what all the fuss is about, but then again, I've had much, MUCH worse hiss from other devices in my lifetime, so this is a non-issue, personally.
Would you say that the hiss, is close to that of tape noise on old recordings?

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,660 of 7,693
Uh, I have on my non-exorbitantly priced Audio Technica ATH-SR5BT headphones, original MSRP $199, on Amazon for $140 right now, and I paid $99 brand new at Fry's last year... and I turned them on just now and ZERO hiss. None. Zilch. Nada. I press play on my SiriusXM on phone it's connected to -- no background hiss on CNN (so plenty of empty space between words, unlike music) -- pause, still no hiss.

I have a lot of bluetooth headphones, and except for the ANC ones, I don't recall hiss on any of them, although I admit I don't have others besides the SR5BT here with me now, which I am 100% certain has no hiss, but I don't recall hiss on my Beats Solo2 Wireless, or the AKG K845BT.
I tried the SR7BT and they were very noisy. Same with the Crossfade 2. The PX and 1000xM2 also had a hiss, but much quieter. (Almost imperceptible on the PX.) Perhaps people are sensitive to different levels of hiss. It's pretty unavoidable with active electronics so close to the drivers.

I hope the Mobius is closer to the PX than the Crossfade 2, because that level of hiss is rather annoying. (It does fade into the background pretty quickly once you start listening, though.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back