Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #152 of 7,693
My excuses to convince myself:
  • Always wanted to try planar magnetic: check.
  • Always wanted to try Audeze: check
  • Discount price, free shipping, no tax (at least for me): check
  • Support made-in-USA: check
  • New technology to experience: check
  • USB-C connection: check
  • LDAC bluetooth: check
  • Not another plain black headphone: check

Backed!

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #153 of 7,693
The way many of these certifications work is, you send the headphones to a lab and they go through the tests
Are there any plans for a less gaming, more general music offering? It need not have the flashy colors (matte black is fine), or the detachable mic. Bluetooth, and a 3D option is great, if it had sound quality similar to the BT (in non 3D mode) wired passive that would be great as well as an option. The Sine has the kind of sub bass I like but is too small and all the others are just too heavy and always lacked the Harman Curve. While they extend really low, having sub bass on par with mids means they're leaner than I'd like down there. This seems to address the bass and offers a lighter version that doesn't have the tiny cups and headband that fails to extend far enough like the Sine. It could be a hugely successful offering and plenty portable enough. The idea that portables have to use ear cups / pads that make even flat ears touch the drivers, and have semi on-ear fit all the time is proven untrue by the Bose QC35, which fit amazing and has very light weight. Of course the sound isn't nearly ideal, though it has the Harman Curve (moderate highs, mids that aren't scooped, rising bass and especially good but clean sub bass. It has superior in portability, decent sound seal and goes around most any ear and is deep enough to ensure pain free listening. If you add NR to that you've got a winner.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #154 of 7,693
thanks for that....I have heard from an un-named source that if you have a MixAmp you can get the full experience.
Unnamed? Nah, that was me. I've been using the Mobius, with the 3D spatialization turned on, with my PS4 via a Mixamp. (A couple Head-Fi'ers even took part in testing the microphone with me, albeit unknowingly. ^_~)

In the video, Jude and I mentioned playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice with the Mobius. Hellblade relies heavily on binaural audio throughout the game to give a strong sense of placement and depth to ongoing audio cues. When you think about it, that's not terribly different from a Mixamp's pre-processed virtual surround. It's a stereo headphone signal meant to re-create a 3D environment. If you play the game with the Mobius's 3D turned off, the positional cues from the binaural audio will come in from various directions. Once you turn on the 3D spatialization and head tracking, your head moves within the fixed game environment rather than the game environment moving with your head. So yeah, while I'd prefer to have a native 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel signal fed directly into the Mobius, console users can use something like a Mixamp with the Mobius and still take advantage of the Mobius's tech. The Mobius doesn't support my PS4 via USB, but that hasn't stopped me from using it.

And while I'm thinking about it...

For those who are wondering how head-tracked 3D audio experience translates to gaming, imagine a standard 7.1 speaker setup. You're playing a game, seated in the "sweet spot," and there are 7 speakers surrounding you. The display is stationary, the speakers are stationary, and yet you are constantly moving. Whether you're using a gamepad or mouse and keyboard, you're still moving. We might think that we sit perfectly still while gaming, but in reality we don't. They may not be huge movements, but our heads can shift slightly simply by breathing. As we game, we move. It's interactive media, after all. As our head shifts, the audio environment remains fixed. The Mobius gives me a similar experience. The prototype we have here simulates a medium-sized 7.1 speaker environment, at least it does for me since I don't want to speak for Joe or Jude. As I move, even small movements, the headset is calculating those changes and responds to my head's ever-changing position.

So yeah, the Mobius reminds me of playing a game with a 7.1 speakers setup.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #155 of 7,693
I'd love to get involved, but I only would if I could sell my current expensive bluetooth gaming headphones (which I use with the PS4 as well). This headphone doesn't seem to support 7.1 on the PS4 and also doesn't support wireless. Any word from Audeze if these features will be implemented or is this designed for PC only?

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #159 of 7,693
Unnamed? Nah, that was me. I've been using the Mobius, with the 3D spatialization turned on, with my PS4 via a Mixamp. (A couple Head-Fi'ers even took part in testing the microphone with me, albeit unknowingly. ^_~)

In the video, Jude and I mentioned playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice with the Mobius. Hellblade relies heavily on binaural audio throughout the game to give a strong sense of placement and depth to ongoing audio cues. When you think about it, that's not terribly different from a Mixamp's pre-processed virtual surround. It's a stereo headphone signal meant to re-create a 3D environment. If you play the game with the Mobius's 3D turned off, the positional cues from the binaural audio will come in from various directions. Once you turn on the 3D spatialization and head tracking, your head moves within the fixed game environment rather than the game environment moving with your head. So yeah, while I'd prefer to have a native 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel signal fed directly into the Mobius, console users can use something like a Mixamp with the Mobius and still take advantage of the Mobius's tech. The Mobius doesn't support my PS4 via USB, but that hasn't stopped me from using it.

And while I'm thinking about it...

For those who are wondering how head-tracked 3D audio experience translates to gaming, imagine a standard 7.1 speaker setup. You're playing a game, seated in the "sweet spot," and there are 7 speakers surrounding you. The display is stationary, the speakers are stationary, and yet you are constantly moving. Whether you're using a gamepad or mouse and keyboard, you're still moving. We might think that we sit perfectly still while gaming, but in reality we don't. They may not be huge movements, but our heads can shift slightly simply by breathing. As we game, we move. It's interactive media, after all. As our head shifts, the audio environment remains fixed. The Mobius gives me a similar experience. The prototype we have here simulates a medium-sized 7.1 speaker environment, at least it does for me since I don't want to speak for Joe or Jude. As I move, even small movements, the headset is calculating those changes and responds to my head's ever-changing position.

So yeah, the Mobius reminds me of playing a game with a 7.1 speakers setup.

So for someone who might be interested in buying a Mixamp once the Mobius is in hand, what is the proper way to set it up? Optical into the Mixamp, USB to your console, and 3.5mm from the Mobius to the Mixamp. Then turn on 3D on the Mobius for head tracking and 7.1 virtualization?

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #160 of 7,693
Will the Mobius have a 3D mode that caters to binaural recordings? In other words, will it have a mode that enables head-tracking but prevents crosstalk from being added? This would be similar to the BACCH-HP processor.
I would think the nature of tweaking with a binaural recording would destroy the integrity of the recording. It would be cool though if it could work. For that I think you would need Audeze's tetrahedral mic to capture the recording room, then record the audio, then allow processing to virtualize the sounds in that room.

Curious qhestion though as I make binaural recordings with in-ear mics. I'll have to check out the BACCH thing. Their in-ear mics are very impressive.

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #161 of 7,693
Add an option with a more traditional Audeze design geared towards the luxury Bluetooth segment and you’ve basically got the best, most advanced wireless headphones on the market. Not that these aren’t already that, but the design/marketing positions it as a gaming headphone when it’s much more. Team copper, these will look good for everyday use.

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #162 of 7,693
@AxelCloris @Audeze Can one of you clear this up for me when using it with a PC how it shows up to windows? I imagine that via usb, it shows up as its own audio device, correct? And I would hope you can then set 7.1 speakers there. Then the full 7.1 is sent to the headphone, which in turn does the virtual surround/head tracking processing? Or is there something else going on? I know with certain games, they require windows to actually show the full surround setup or sound isnt actually sent anywhere as surround, just compressed down to stereo, in which case the virtual surround wouldnt do anything. I have already bought in on indiegogo, but definitely want this bit cleared up.

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #163 of 7,693
So for someone who might be interested in buying a Mixamp once the Mobius is in hand, what is the proper way to set it up? Optical into the Mixamp, USB to your console, and 3.5mm from the Mobius to the Mixamp. Then turn on 3D on the Mobius for head tracking and 7.1 virtualization?
That's how mine is set up. Monster Hunter World has been a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back