Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #4,501 of 5,780
Oooh I like that. The port is definitely the weak spot. I'm on my 2nd pair now after the first started exhibiting disconnection issue. I think I'll grab this
agreed on the headset usb port, i've gone through 10+ cables from daily use, the only cable to make it past a month has been the monoprice kevlar; it's actually lasted months but i never unplug it from the headset just from the usb on the pc end to avoid the breaking of cable or port. Never had a headset chew through this many cables before.

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #4,503 of 5,780
hi, its been a long time since i came to this thread. my software is currently on 1.55, should i update it? is there a completely safe, newer version available? thanks
Fmware V5 (latest release version to date) shifts Mobius' sound signiture to more bass, now "Flat" EQ preset sounds close to what "Music" was before.

Firmware V5:
USB: 103
MCU: 1.71
DSP: 25

There are reports about a newer beta version, just read one page back here, seems to have major problems.

For updating the firmware follow all advice slavishly or you may brick your Mobius.
Make sure your USB connection is absolutely stable.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #4,504 of 5,780
Hello all,

I am new to this thread. I am big on gaming, mostly for immersion rather then competitive. I am also big into to watching TV Shows. I am looking to buy the Mobius on amazon, since I have a gift card. I have never had an audiophile headset before. My previous headset was an Arctis 7 from steel series. Is it a good time to buy the Mobius now? I was wondering has there been any improvements since it has been released?

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,505 of 5,780
Here's some pad comparisons. For reference comparisons were with this track:
on a Samsung S7Edge, LDAC, AVRCP 1.6, 16 bit, 44khz, Optimal(990kbps) References to my EQ were done with USB Audio Player Pro's Toneboosters parametric EQ. The 3D Off EQ is about 4db at 3.5khz, the 3D On EQ is about 8db at 3.5khz. I use terms like crispy and crunchy to refer to the guitars but i mean low treble high mids... =p Note that I'm aware the Mobius was tuned with the stock pads and this was just a quick little experiment to see if there was any change to sound signature, for better or worse, and to the size of the soundstage, mostly to see if the frontstage could be pushed further forward.

3d off: crispy crunchy but too bright
3d on: unlistenable

Music
3d off: still crispy but very listenable volume a little lower than desired though
3d on: still too bright

Warm
3d off: still crispy but slightly loose bass
3d on: still crispy but listenable

My 3d Off EQ
3d off: still crispy but can raise volume to desired level.
3d on: still bright but slightly less than Music

My 3d On EQ
3d on: very listenable, still nice and crispy but non fatiguing.

Sometimes I'll add a small sub bass boost(low shelf 80 hz 2-3db) but not on everything.

Any pads with a mounting lip ring, whatever you call it, can be stretched over the earcup and are actually surprisingly secure. I made some felt o rings to mimic the stock pads foam.

The MrSpeakers Alpha Pads without these felt rings were unbearably bright/sibiliant/grating and that was the case with the rest of the pads, so note that all the pads have the rings you can see in the pictures.

3d Off Default
Much brighter than stock pads

3d Off Music and My 3d On EQ
Good sound, staging is a bit bigger, bass has a little more impact

3d On Much bigger staging, still very bright, I needed a more aggressive eq, more like 10-11db at 3.5khz

Didn't require extra volume even though the drivers are further from the ears. Comfort is good, a little bit extra clamp obviously, but it's more evenly distributed, no sound leakage whatsoever. For me, these worked with some average eqing with 3d off, and some pretty heavy eqing with 3d on.

Biggest staging, less volume(drivers far from ears), suprisingly low leakage(the thick foam and velour material used), a bit more clamp, but nice and comfortable, more breathable.

3d Off:
crispy but non-fatiguing, bass light
Music
Still nice and crispy but better bass, still light though
Warm
still crispy and nice bass, tight, this suprised me because I felt the bass was kind of loose with the stock pads
My 3D Off EQ Default Nice and crunchy but needed sub bass; Warm sounded very good; Music sounded good but slightly tighter bass
My 3d On EQ in Default with a sub bass boost sounded very good

3d On:
My 3d On EQ Music Preset, sounded nice and crunchy but slightly bright, good bass; Warm Preset not quite as crunchy, bass is a bit loose with a sub bass boost in the eq, but without it its a good sound, very non-fatiguing

Testing the Ready Player One race, plugged into an Uptone ISO Regen with Ultracaps LPS 1.2, USB charging off, Music Preset, an eq similar to my 3d on eq
Much better front stage, sibilance without 10khz+ 8db high shelf, Windows volume at 100, not great bass, but very clear voices and mid/treble SFXs. I think the drivers are just too far from your ears, movies are mixed much lower than music, and can't muster the energy needed for LFE. When putting the stock pads back on, the soundstage is immediately much closer, but bass is much more present, more defined, better rumble(a tight articulate movie rumble), less sibilant, however, voices sound slightly muffled.

Immediately noticed these aren't quite as crispy and detailed in the highs
Not great leakage, decently comfortable. Stage was slightly larger than stock.
With 3d off these follow how I felt with the stock pads for each setting, default was little bright, music a little better, warm bass was a little loose, my 3d off eq sounded good.

They're comfortable though and could be an ok option if someone needs breathable pads.

These sounded better than the velours, nice and crispy, but bass wasn't as well defined, good leakage, good comfort. Not a very different stage size than stock.
3d Off
Default crispy but bright
Music crispy good bass slightly loose
Warm fat loose bass
My 3d Off Eq this sounded good but any bass boost loosened it up.

I'm not sure if I prefer the Alpha Pads to the stock pads. There's a significant amount more treble energy, but it can be EQ'd down. Staging is definately bigger. Bass impact was a bit nicer, more tactile. Comfort is mixed, there's more pad surface, but clamp is higher.

I really like the sound from the Dekoni Velour pads, I use them on my Audeze EL-8 and Hifiman HE-400is to great effect, but be noted that I like a laid back sound, flat extended bass and a smaller 3khz bump. I'm going to try a smaller version of the pads, the ones for the Audio technica ATHM0X, the inner dimensions of those match the Mobius pads.

Not much use for the Brainwavz pads really =p

Edit: Quick notes on virtual front soundstages. My main system with the Audeze EL-8s with dekoni LCD Velour pads and Out of Your Head throws a massive soundstage. When sitting at my desk, leaned back, watching a movie on a Benq XR3501, the center channel is clearly anchored to the screen. If I use them with my projector I need a slightly more reverberant room to anchor to the screen which is about 9' away. With a pair of Stax SR-207s, however, the size of the stage is very small(distance of drivers to ear?), and I need that more reverberant room for desk use, this despite the Stax rendering actual room acoustics and acoustic decay much better. I can only imagine how the Sennheiser HD800s do with this. The MrSpeakers Alpha primes are closer to the EL-8s than the SR207s, which is a feat since they're closed.

I should also note that returning to my main system after testing the Mobius, the bass shakers are $&@#ing awesome for movies and metal.

Hi great mods I am looking Brainwavs Angled Velour is it okay with you if you can let me know how you made this mod and what materials were involved? I am looking to get the Mobius, but I am not a fan of pleather foam.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #4,506 of 5,780
Hello all,

I am new to this thread. I am big on gaming, mostly for immersion rather then competitive. I am also big into to watching TV Shows. I am looking to buy the Mobius on amazon, since I have a gift card. I have never had an audiophile headset before. My previous headset was an Arctis 7 from steel series. Is it a good time to buy the Mobius now? I was wondering has there been any improvements since it has been released?

As far as I know, there have been no new announcements for replacements or anything. If you don't need bluetooth, HyperX worked with audeze to release the Cloud Orbit S, which is essentially the mobius without bluetooth, for $70 cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Orbit-Headphones-Detachable/dp/B07WD66FL5/ . It still has the planar driver, head tracking, and the same connections/buttons. It runs different software and support, but functionally should be the same (again, without bluetooth). I haven't done too much digging on them since I got my mobius on sale (for $300 on prime day. There might be other sales coming up if you can wait a few months).

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #4,508 of 5,780
Bluetooth isnt meant for gamers.

My mobius beats some wireless logitech headsets from my coplayers. They still ask me how i can hear enemys faster than them. The headset is on default very good for recognizing footsteps.

I agree completely. I don't know about sound signature or preset differences, but IMO if you're looking for a purely gamer-focused audiophile planar headset, save the $70 and get the cloud orbit S. Or if you don't need the headtracking, get the cloud orbit for $300.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #4,510 of 5,780
Hi great mods I am looking Brainwavs Angled Velour is it okay with you if you can let me know how you made this mod and what materials were involved? I am looking to get the Mobius, but I am not a fan of pleather foam.
The velours, even ones from dekoni, didnt work well with the Mobius, they really need a sealed area to sound their best.

The brainwavz angled pleathers are roomier comfortable pads though, and in the end no extra modding is really needed, just pop off the stock pads and slide the brainwavz pads on.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #4,511 of 5,780
The velours, even ones from dekoni, didnt work well with the Mobius, they really need a sealed area to sound their best.

The brainwavz angled pleathers are roomier comfortable pads though, and in the end no extra modding is really needed, just pop off the stock pads and slide the brainwavz pads on.

Do you think these will have the same results as the full leather?

81AfMXyCw3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #4,512 of 5,780
Just want to say that I just popped the Mobius on to listen to my laptop while my wife sleeps and not for the first time had to quickly stop the video I was watching because it sounded like the audio was coming from the speakers.
It wasn't.
The Mobius just does a very very good job of spatialising audio.
Love these cans, love using them for media consumption. Still very glad I got them.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #4,513 of 5,780
Just want to say that I just popped the Mobius on to listen to my laptop while my wife sleeps and not for the first time had to quickly stop the video I was watching because it sounded like the audio was coming from the speakers.
It wasn't.
The Mobius just does a very very good job of spatialising audio.
Love these cans, love using them for media consumption. Still very glad I got them.

not until u tried the lcd4 or lcdi4. lol.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #4,514 of 5,780
not until u tried the lcd4 or lcdi4. lol.

What "not until you tried the LCD4"? Your comment makes no sense.
Will I be able to plug the LCD4 directly into a laptop and get a decent result from it? I'd need an amp at least, right? That's a different use case scenario.
Additionally there's a pretty big price difference between the LCD4 and the Mobius, especially since I got the IndieGoGo price.

Not sure what you're trying to say or where you're coming from. Was going to be more ascerbic but checking through your comments it seems you're a fan of the Mobius and Audeze, so I'm backing off.

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #4,515 of 5,780
What "not until you tried the LCD4"? Your comment makes no sense.
Will I be able to plug the LCD4 directly into a laptop and get a decent result from it? I'd need an amp at least, right? That's a different use case scenario.
Additionally there's a pretty big price difference between the LCD4 and the Mobius, especially since I got the IndieGoGo price.

Not sure what you're trying to say or where you're coming from. Was going to be more ascerbic but checking through your comments it seems you're a fan of the Mobius and Audeze, so I'm backing off.
The iSINE / LCD-i series don't need an amp as they can be driven by a mobile phone. Just use the Audeze Reveal+ plugin in Equalizer APO on Windows, and you can use the 3.5mm jack.

I plug my LCD-i3 into my PC with the Anker Lightning to USB-C adapter, so the Cipher DSP is engaged and I don't need the Audeze Reveal+ plugin. The sound stage is far superior to the Mobius. I did not believe this level of improvement was possible, even after owning other open-back headphones. The iSine 10 + Cipher cable & USB-C adapter is a steal for sound stage and full-range frequency response down to 10 Hz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back