Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 13, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #4,096 of 5,778
Does the Mobius work with an Android smartphone playin a 5.1 channel flac file connected by USB cable?

Any kind of Surround Sound output requires the Software to be installed. Connecting to Android via Cable will give you Stereo with head tracking by default. I don't believe any headphone can give you surround out of a Mobile Phone.

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #4,097 of 5,778
Neutron has 5.1 and 7.1 as output options, I'd be interested to know too.

When WASAPI mode is used in windows the surround channels get all mixed up on these headphones. It might not be perfectly implemented yet, but that might just be WASAPI.

Iirc the rear channels are sent to the front etc

I'm looking at ways of mixing down my surround library to stereo using a Dolby plugin for Foobar that apparently gives much better results than just using Dolby headphone or what surround mixes sound like through these phones coming from my pc.

I found a Dolby mix of a Porcupine Tree album (In Absentia) that sounds naturally mixed. Not sure if it's from the 5.1 mix or if it's just upmixed stereo but it sounds smooth and has no unwanted reverb etc

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #4,099 of 5,778
I have used mine with the usb cable thru the phone, can't say for sure about the 5.1.
Guess I could try netflix and see what happens.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #4,100 of 5,778
I've had my Mobius for almost a year, and I love it for its excellent sound and bluetooth quality. The one thing I'm disappointed about is the soft-touch finish peeling.
After less than a year, there is a section of peeling finish covering 1/3 of the headband. As a disclaimer, I do set the headphones down on my desk when I'm not using them, but it's not like I'm throwing them on the desk or dragging them.
FfNEJTq.jpg

It looks worse in person than it does in the picture because the flaking is more apparent. Is anyone else getting this? I might start setting them down in their carrying case instead of my desk from now on to keep it from getting worse.

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4,102 of 5,778
I've had my Mobius for almost a year, and I love it for its excellent sound and bluetooth quality. The one thing I'm disappointed about is the soft-touch finish peeling.
After less than a year, there is a section of peeling finish covering 1/3 of the headband. As a disclaimer, I do set the headphones down on my desk when I'm not using them, but it's not like I'm throwing them on the desk or dragging them.
FfNEJTq.jpg

It looks worse in person than it does in the picture because the flaking is more apparent. Is anyone else getting this? I might start setting them down in their carrying case instead of my desk from now on to keep it from getting worse.

Mine has the exact same issue from wear, it doesn't ruin the headset tho but it is a shame the build quality choice for this part was poor. Doesn't stop the headset from kicking ass, just doesn't have the same audeze life time shine and quality my friends other headsets have.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #4,104 of 5,778
Mine has a little bit as well but I didn't notice until I looked for it.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #4,105 of 5,778

yah I thought am alone here, same thing I got

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #4,106 of 5,778
This soft touch sh*** always makes problems. I completely removed this f.i. from my mouse with a piece of cloth.
Fortunately my Mobius is brand new, but so I know what I can expect.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #4,108 of 5,778
After successfully checking the USB surround sound capabilities of my smartphone, that can be found here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cre...phone-holography.869663/page-47#post-15128953
I checked how the Mobius handles 5.1 audio from a smartphone.

It had a really strange behaviour.
During my first check I can hear all sound nearly only from the left cup. Manually setting 3D didn't help.
Automatic was not even better and "3D off" only produced sound from the left.

Later I found out that "Manual 3D" with a manual centering while I turned 90° to the left did the job.
All sound came from the expected directions. But this is not the way I want to use it.

Does somebody make such experiences.
I dont't know which FW I have and can't update it while Audeze HQ has the update feature disabled.

When I move with Mobius connected to my smartphone all head tracking is unwanted.
While sitting at my dektop PC I would connect the Mobius to it instead to my smartphone.

So the mobius would not be my first choice for mobile music listening and the Creative Sxfi would get the job.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #4,109 of 5,778
Hello everyone. Very long time lurker, first time poster! I'm having an ongoing issue with my set. I got a pair of Mobius' during the indiegogo campaign and loved them. No sibilance or distortion and they sounded great in 3D with the sound stage being amazing. That became my preferred way to listen to them until they developed what I'm guessing is a short in USB port. I got in touch with Audeze support and they were very helpful, sending me a new retail set.

I've had these new ones for maybe a week and they sound actually REALLY bad in 3D mode. Like completely overdriven, even at low volumes. They don't sound nearly as bad in hi res mode, but then I'm missing out on my favorite mode to use. Could this issue be potentially fixed in a firmware update? Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #4,110 of 5,778
Hello everyone. Very long time lurker, first time poster! I'm having an ongoing issue with my set. I got a pair of Mobius' during the indiegogo campaign and loved them. No sibilance or distortion and they sounded great in 3D with the sound stage being amazing. That became my preferred way to listen to them until they developed what I'm guessing is a short in USB port. I got in touch with Audeze support and they were very helpful, sending me a new retail set.

I've had these new ones for maybe a week and they sound actually REALLY bad in 3D mode. Like completely overdriven, even at low volumes. They don't sound nearly as bad in hi res mode, but then I'm missing out on my favorite mode to use. Could this issue be potentially fixed in a firmware update? Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Which firmware are you using?

When you say overdriven, is it slightly overdriven or completely distorted so it's very difficult to hear what is being played through it? if it's the latter I often have to unplug and replug the mobius back in when switching between modes, or if I plug it in to my PC when the Mobius is switched on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back