Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 20, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #2,311 of 5,780
Hmm, tempted to buy more Audeze headphones but Mobius checks every box for what I’d look for (Bluetooth and USB-C for future-proofing) so not really sure I need any more at this time. Glad to see a deal on the Sine DX and even the closed-back Sine even if it’s assumedly without Cipher.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,312 of 5,780
Hmm, tempted to buy more Audeze headphones but Mobius checks every box for what I’d look for (Bluetooth and USB-C for future-proofing) so not really sure I need any more at this time. Glad to see a deal on the Sine DX and even the closed-back Sine even if it’s assumedly without Cipher.

The LCD2c is calling my name!

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,313 of 5,780
There seems to be a lot of interest in getting the very best sound from the Mobius via bluetooth. Besides Note9 and other cell phones, what stand alone Bluetooth Digital Audio Player would you choose to pair up with your Mobius? I have a Chord Mojo. I can’t quite swallow paying $749.00 for their Bluetooth enabled DAP add-on. To lego together two separate pieces makes for a hefty portable player. Seems we need LDAC and Bluetooth 5. What would you choose?

Now hearing the Mobius through LDAC by a Shanling M0: extremely small, 99 €, and I got in the deal a 64 GB card for 1 € more. Excellent sound - as good as cabled (with jitterbug!)

Wired it is also a decent machine, clearly better in my system than the Meridian Explorer 2 except using MQA files.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #2,317 of 5,780
It’ll come out when it’s ready. Can’t wait for the Warm preset :L3000:

Man, Bluetooth on Mobius is really good. I’m only using AAC and it practically sounds lossless. It’s not quite as precise or extended as actual lossless music of course, but it’s pretty close.

Also, the more you listen to music in 3D the more you get used to it. I’ve secretly wanted a headphone with head-tracking for a long time!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,318 of 5,780
It’ll come out when it’s ready. Can’t wait for the Warm preset :L3000:

Man, Bluetooth on Mobius is really good. I’m only using AAC and it practically sounds lossless.

Also, the more you listen to music in 3D the more you get used to it. I’ve secretly wanted a headphone with head-tracking for a long time!

I can't wait to get the preset remembered each time I switch on. Default is "nice" but a bit boring compared to flat. I definitely do not want warm. This bass boost trend in headphones is a nuisance and is detrimental to music. Why people think bassy means fun escapes me. More bass ruins the timing between the musicians, if they have some ability. Exactly why I buy Audeze, most Sennheiser, old AKG and non XB Sony etc. B&W, Beats, recent AKG, JBL all diminish the mesicians message to me because they artifically boost the low end to please the less musically discerning.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,319 of 5,780
I can't wait to get the preset remembered each time I switch on. Default is "nice" but a bit boring compared to flat. I definitely do not want warm. This bass boost trend in headphones is a nuisance and is detrimental to music. Why people think bassy means fun escapes me. More bass ruins the timing between the musicians, if they have some ability. Exactly why I buy Audeze, most Sennheiser, old AKG and non XB Sony etc. B&W, Beats, recent AKG, JBL all diminish the mesicians message to me because they artifically boost the low end to please the less musically discerning.

I prefer Default or Flat as well, with 3D off for that matter for serious music listening. I’m just curious what kind of visceral impact Audeze was able to get out of the Warm preset. Modern music has strong basslines and sometimes it can be fun to boost those. Not all the time mind you, but take a good pop or EDM track and a little extra bass slam can make it more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #2,320 of 5,780

I feel like you’re focusing too much on a specific type of music when saying something like this. There is a lot of music which focuses very heavily on the strong bass - EDM, Rap, Hip Hop and many others. Having a stronger bass is definitely a plus in my eyes for these “clubbing” types of songs. Would you listen to it for classical music? Probably not but that’s one of the strengths of the Mobius a button press and scroll and you’ve got a different sound profile and not just in front of a computer either. Anywhere.

That’s why I’d like even more variety in the eqs and hopefully we will be able to customize them eventually ourselves. I think the community will come out with some amazing tuning that might even pleasantly surprise @Audeze.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #2,321 of 5,780
I feel like you’re focusing too much on a specific type of music when saying something like this. There is a lot of music which focuses very heavily on the strong bass - EDM, Rap, Hip Hop and many others. Having a stronger bass is definitely a plus in my eyes for these “clubbing” types of songs. Would you listen to it for classical music? Probably not but that’s one of the strengths of the Mobius a button press and scroll and you’ve got a different sound profile and not just in front of a computer either. Anywhere.

That’s why I’d like even more variety in the eqs and hopefully we will be able to customize them eventually ourselves. I think the community will come out with some amazing tuning that might even pleasantly surprise @Audeze.

I've heard this argument before, and I respectfully disagree. If a genre of music requires more bass, let the producer put the right amout in. They are far more qualified to EQ than the consumer, who generally will make things worse.

EQ is for professionals.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #2,322 of 5,780
I've heard this argument before, and I respectfully disagree. If a genre of music requires more bass, let the producer put the right amout in. They are far more qualified to EQ than the consumer, who generally will make things worse.

EQ is for professionals.
Let's not forget tastes vary from person to person, and there is no right or wrong way for a song to sound, the listener either likes it, or they don't. Giving the user options allows the user to choose what sound they find most pleasing, it might not be to the professionals liking, but they aren't the ones that have to listen to it either.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #2,323 of 5,780

EQ is for professionals.
You might have heard it but you clearly didn’t understand it. Much of today’s music is mastered to sound as intended on devices most used by the consumer - car stereos and beats headphones. And those are heavily bass boosted. That’s why you’d want to be able to increase the bass for certain genres - Hip Hop, EDM.

This isn’t some wild guess this is what is done nowadays as the vast majority aren’t listening on good headphones/speakers and they need to get an impactful sound out to them. So unfortunately it’s very much catered and eq’d to the most common use and that isn’t audiophile use.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #2,325 of 5,780
You might have heard it but you clearly didn’t understand it. Much of today’s music is mastered to sound as intended on devices most used by the consumer - car stereos and beats headphones. And those are heavily bass boosted. That’s why you’d want to be able to increase the bass for certain genres - Hip Hop, EDM.

This isn’t some wild guess this is what is done nowadays as the vast majority aren’t listening on good headphones/speakers and they need to get an impactful sound out to them. So unfortunately it’s very much catered and eq’d to the most common use and that isn’t audiophile use.

I have understood it. I know a good producer will usually listen to the work on something more representative of low-fi (or horri-fi) to make sure it works in cars and uttlerly compressed radio stations. However no competent producer ruin their work for posterity deliberately just because a number of people are more interested in badly reproduced bass than music.

I am worried that the public are being trained to think exaggerated bass is flat.

A heavy bassline can be enormously musical, but crudely EQ-ed and it will no long be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back