Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,966 of 5,780
Received mine. As with MelonBag, my Indiegogo was lost in customs and they sent one directly from California, with the warm setting included. Very nice surprise! Excellent treatment from Audeze

Initial comments:

• I bought it mainly for mobile music, then for movies. No gaming whatsoever. Music-wise, not as good as any of my current units (Stax Lambda, UE10 custom in-ear, AKG701) but far more comfortable than the in-ear or the AKG. Also better isolation than any of them - including the custom in-ear. I may need to explore more the other EQ settings. Warm very satisfying for most classical music; but the massed violins just don't sound right with any setting. Maybe I am spoiled by the clarity of the Stax (I sold my HD800 because I clearly preferred the Stax to it)
  • Extremely nice surprise: hooked to my Mac with Audirvana on Hi-res, and linked to my phone on bluetooth, when you receive a call, you can answer it while the USB music continues to play softer in the background. The caller doesn't hear the music, only you. Very relaxing effect with the right music! You have the impression that the caller doesn't invade your cocoon. This is the ideal working headset. An unexpected application that makes it a keeper.
  • Children love it for games in 3D - but the effect is subtle - not a "wow" effect. No back channels with PS4 but that was known. We have to explore the presets.
  • I must have a difficult head shape (not size) since I can't hear out-of-head surround. I have never been able in my life, even with binaural recordings or the various 3D demos of other methods. Not a fault of the Mobius - it is just me. The head-tracking helps to make it much more credible, but still difficult to suspend disbelief.
  • Linked with a Shanling M0 on LDAC and high res, it is the best bluetooth sound that I have experienced - but I am not really an expert here. Still far from one of the above cabled solutions.
  • With Audirvana you can listen to MQA in high res at 96/24. It would be good that the system selected between 44.1-48 and 88.2-96 automatically, based on the incoming bitstream, since MQA can also come in lower res. Fortunately Audirvana takes care of it most of the times.
The problem with being a traveler is that you can't take your home rig with you. (I have even travelled with Stax+energizer+DAC !!). The UE10 is not a full time option - my ears get irritated after long listening sessions (at least 4-5 hours every day in the hotel). Also, when you take with you a top headphone, it won't sound good unless you also have a top amp (or at least powerful enough). This means two pieces of equipment + cabling. I expected to be able to live with just the Mobius, since it is a planar with an optimized amp for it. Let's see over time if the sound improves with break-in or different EQ. Update in a couple of weeks.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,967 of 5,780
Received mine. As with MelonBag, my Indiegogo was lost in customs and they sent one directly from California, with the warm setting included. Very nice surprise! Excellent treatment from Audeze

Initial comments:

• I bought it mainly for mobile music, then for movies. No gaming whatsoever. Music-wise, not as good as any of my current units (Stax Lambda, UE10 custom in-ear, AKG701) but far more comfortable than the in-ear or the AKG. Also better isolation than any of them - including the custom in-ear. I may need to explore more the other EQ settings. Warm very satisfying for most classical music; but the massed violins just don't sound right with any setting. Maybe I am spoiled by the clarity of the Stax (I sold my HD800 because I clearly preferred the Stax to it)
  • Extremely nice surprise: hooked to my Mac with Audirvana on Hi-res, and linked to my phone on bluetooth, when you receive a call, you can answer it while the USB music continues to play softer in the background. The caller doesn't hear the music, only you. Very relaxing effect with the right music! You have the impression that the caller doesn't invade your cocoon. This is the ideal working headset. An unexpected application that makes it a keeper.
  • Children love it for games in 3D - but the effect is subtle - not a "wow" effect. No back channels with PS4 but that was known. We have to explore the presets.
  • I must have a difficult head shape (not size) since I can't hear out-of-head surround. I have never been able in my life, even with binaural recordings or the various 3D demos of other methods. Not a fault of the Mobius - it is just me. The head-tracking helps to make it much more credible, but still difficult to suspend disbelief.
  • Linked with a Shanling M0 on LDAC and high res, it is the best bluetooth sound that I have experienced - but I am not really an expert here. Still far from one of the above cabled solutions.
  • With Audirvana you can listen to MQA in high res at 96/24. It would be good that the system selected between 44.1-48 and 88.2-96 automatically, based on the incoming bitstream, since MQA can also come in lower res. Fortunately Audirvana takes care of it most of the times.
The problem with being a traveler is that you can't take your home rig with you. (I have even travelled with Stax+energizer+DAC !!). The UE10 is not a full time option - my ears get irritated after long listening sessions (at least 4-5 hours every day in the hotel). Also, when you take with you a top headphone, it won't sound good unless you also have a top amp (or at least powerful enough). This means two pieces of equipment + cabling. I expected to be able to live with just the Mobius, since it is a planar with an optimized amp for it. Let's see over time if the sound improves with break-in or different EQ. Update in a couple of weeks.
U r not taking desktop srax amp.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,968 of 5,780
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,969 of 5,780

Lol I knew how this review was going to go before I even clicked.

Anyways I disagree with his complaint about gaming. HRTF is different for everyone but for my money Mobius has the best sound localization in most games I've tried it on

And at least on my senn and Akg headphones the waves nx app does not sound nearly as good.

To each its own.

Edit :

Also... They turned off room ambience... To 0. And then complaint sound steps sound too close.... Take that as you will, it's like complaining water is hot after heating it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #1,972 of 5,780
I understand there is new firmware with the Warm EQ setting. Is this Beta? I havn’t found an option in the windows app or the Audeze website to update firmware. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,973 of 5,780
HRTF is different for everyone but for my money Mobius has the best sound localization in most games I've tried it on

Edit :

Also... They turned off room ambience... To 0. And then complaint sound steps sound too close.... Take that as you will, it's like complaining water is hot after heating it.

I agree that the localization on the Mobius is awesome, I've been using it for weeks now and the positional ques are close to flawless.

They actually say this in the review about room ambiance:

"Turn it down to zero if you decide you want to use the 3D features while gaming. We are not sure how anyone at Audeze thought that this feature is a positive when it comes to its Sound Localization claims."

LOL. Obviously no clue what they are talking about.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,974 of 5,780

Wow this was brutal:
„We do not have super high expectations for mics on headsets. We basically want to be able to communicate reliably with our teammates while not sounding like we are at the bottom of a well, and that is about it. You either give out an ear full of breath sounds and plosives with the Mobius mic, or your team only gets to hear about half of what you have to say. In the suggested position, the Mobius mic is nearly worthless. So how to sum up the Mobius mic? To put it in nice terms, it is trash. We literally have $60 headsets here that we use for testing that have much better mics than the Mobius. What is it that truly makes a set of headphones a headset? It is the mic. It seems that Audeze just picked a mic out of the bargain bin pile at the Dollar Store and put it on its $400 Mobius "headset." This left us shaking our heads, but luckily, we had head tracking, so we could watch that happen in real time with the Audeze app.“

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,975 of 5,780
My Mobius seems to have a loose contact on the USB connector. At first I thought that it was just the cable supplied by Audeze which wasn't tight enough in the USB socket. Unfortunately the problem persists after I bought some other USB cables, e.g. also the Volutz cable recommended here by someone. Among other things also other USB-C cables from Belkin, Cable.Creation and UGREEN.
The problem occurs especially when you move a little more and pick up something or turn to someone. By shaking I could also make sure that it really is the socket of the Mobius and not the socket of the PC or the Apple Camera Kit.
Am I the only one who has the problem? Does anyone have an idea for a solution that doesn't mean to send the Mobius from Germany to the USA?

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,976 of 5,780
what is it paired with pls?

Mac running audirvana+ - Meridian Explorer 2 - kimber hero cable - SR252s - Stax Lambda Signature.

While the headphone output of the Meridian is quite poor, the line out is excellent. Best mobile sound I ever had. (In the past I had use Benchmark DAC Pre + HD800 and preferred the Stax set up for sure)

I was listening yesterday with Shanling M0 - bluetooth LDAC HiRes - Mobius and it was really good. Much better than the direct USB connection - I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I don't have the right set up with Audirvana, and it is doing strange things with sample rate conversions impacting on sound?

BTW: in my set up, noise is not an issue at all.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #1,977 of 5,780
My Mobius seems to have a loose contact on the USB connector. At first I thought that it was just the cable supplied by Audeze which wasn't tight enough in the USB socket. Unfortunately the problem persists after I bought some other USB cables, e.g. also the Volutz cable recommended here by someone. Among other things also other USB-C cables from Belkin, Cable.Creation and UGREEN.
The problem occurs especially when you move a little more and pick up something or turn to someone. By shaking I could also make sure that it really is the socket of the Mobius and not the socket of the PC or the Apple Camera Kit.
Am I the only one who has the problem? Does anyone have an idea for a solution that doesn't mean to send the Mobius from Germany to the USA?
Possible solutions:

Preparation: SWITCH OFF MOBIUS.

1. Get yourself a high quality contact cleaner (not WD40 or Kontakt 60) like Teslanol T6:
https://smile.amazon.de/TESLANOL-Ko...UTF8&qid=1540725500&sr=8-11&keywords=Teslanol
Apply some with a wood toothpick to the contacts of Mobius USB C connector.
Don't spray on it!!!

If contact cleaner doesn't help execute the following test:
Cut a fitting peace from a THIN blister packaging and stick it in one side of Mobius USB C connector before inserting the plug.
That should improve clamping force and reduce " rattle".
If this helps, go one with:

2. Very slightly bend the 2 tiny clamps inside Mobius USB C connector (on the pad side) to the inside using one or two ( from both sides) sewing needles.
This improves clamping force. Don't overdo it else they will be bent back as soon as you plug the connector.

3. If this doesn't help either try bending the exterior USB C housing using fine blades to enhance clamping force.
Avoid leaving traces on the plastic parts.
You can use an old style razor blade, break it into fitting pieces and stick two pieces between plastic and metal.
Don't cut your fingers, use pliers for this.
Then use a normal fine knifeblade between those to very carefully enhance the pressure on the USB C exterior housing until it bends very slightly.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,978 of 5,780
Wow this was brutal:
„We do not have super high expectations for mics on headsets. We basically want to be able to communicate reliably with our teammates while not sounding like we are at the bottom of a well, and that is about it. You either give out an ear full of breath sounds and plosives with the Mobius mic, or your team only gets to hear about half of what you have to say. In the suggested position, the Mobius mic is nearly worthless. So how to sum up the Mobius mic? To put it in nice terms, it is trash. We literally have $60 headsets here that we use for testing that have much better mics than the Mobius. What is it that truly makes a set of headphones a headset? It is the mic. It seems that Audeze just picked a mic out of the bargain bin pile at the Dollar Store and put it on its $400 Mobius "headset." This left us shaking our heads, but luckily, we had head tracking, so we could watch that happen in real time with the Audeze app.“
Audeze is a great headphones company, but they seem to not know much about microphones.
Even the beta testers do not seem to origin from professional audio works, else someone would have told them.

Might be this sounds a bit arrogant, but if they had asked me before, this disaster could have been avoided.
The first bad idea was to use a directional microphone. These types of microphones are extremely sensitive to all kinds of disturbances, breath and structure born noise, and they do sound unnatural compared to an omni directional microphone when used in close proximity.
Even in the professional studio world I only to know (and got) one microphone that does not suffer that much from this problems, and it's expensive.
Choosing an omni mic would have avoided these problems.
The second bad idea is using no wind screen on that, which is an absolute no go.
The third bad idea is using a noise suppression, which never works on spoken word, at least not with some universal setting, there is no one-size-fits-all for dividing noise and speech.

Fortunately there's still is some kind of solution:
Audeze needs to suppose and supply a foam pop/windscreen, cost: pennies something like that:
https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B071ZH6M...&pd_rd_r=d41c6c5b-daad-11e8-b663-99d0b1f0da8e
The dynamics section of the firmware that is currently used for noise suppression needs a different characteristics, lowering the thresholds for noise suppression, making the reaction faster and incorporating a limiter with makeup gain to enhance the audio level without the problem of running into digital clipping.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,979 of 5,780
Mac running audirvana+ - Meridian Explorer 2 - kimber hero cable - SR252s - Stax Lambda Signature.

While the headphone output of the Meridian is quite poor, the line out is excellent. Best mobile sound I ever had. (In the past I had use Benchmark DAC Pre + HD800 and preferred the Stax set up for sure)

I was listening yesterday with Shanling M0 - bluetooth LDAC HiRes - Mobius and it was really good. Much better than the direct USB connection - I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I don't have the right set up with Audirvana, and it is doing strange things with sample rate conversions impacting on sound?

BTW: in my set up, noise is not an issue at all.
Try switching EQ preset back and forth once every time you change between HiRes and other modes.
This resets the confused DSP, then both ways should sound almost the same.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,980 of 5,780
Possible solutions:

Preparation: SWITCH OFF MOBIUS.

1. Get yourself a high quality contact cleaner (not WD40 or Kontakt 60) like Teslanol T6:
https://smile.amazon.de/TESLANOL-Ko...UTF8&qid=1540725500&sr=8-11&keywords=Teslanol
Apply some with a wood toothpick to the contacts of Mobius USB C connector.
Don't spray on it!!!

If contact cleaner doesn't help execute the following test:
Cut a fitting peace from a THIN blister packaging and stick it in one side of Mobius USB C connector before inserting the plug.
That should improve clamping force and reduce " rattle".
If this helps, go one with:

2. Very slightly bend the 2 tiny clamps inside Mobius USB C connector (on the pad side) to the inside using one or two ( from both sides) sewing needles.
This improves clamping force. Don't overdo it else they will be bent back as soon as you plug the connector.

3. If this doesn't help either try bending the exterior USB C housing using fine blades to enhance clamping force.
Avoid leaving traces on the plastic parts.
You can use an old style razor blade, break it into fitting pieces and stick two pieces between plastic and metal.
Don't cut your fingers, use pliers for this.
Then use a normal fine knifeblade between those to very carefully enhance the pressure on the USB C exterior housing until it bends very slightly.

Thanks a lot! Just bought the contact spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back